Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Trailing Fuchsia

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

I'm not sure what to do with a hanging basket of trailing fuchsia that I bought this summer. Do those need to go dormant or should I treat it like a houseplant? I was thinking about putting it in my garage all winter but maybe that would be too cold. Has anyone ever been successful at getting theirs through the winter? I've lost the tag for mine but I think it was 'Dark Eyes'.

Comments (12)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

christie, Deanne, over on the perennials forum is the master fuschia ghuru. I know she cuts them back and stores them over winter, but the details I don't remember. Try the conversation part and search for fuschia.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've seen Deanne's photos. She could start her own magazine. I couldn't find her info on wintering over fuchsia though. It would take days to look through those idyll posts. I may have just missed it.
    I found this on the FAQ's in the fuchsia forum and read through some of the old posts there. It sounds like they need a dormant period so I will try cutting mine back and putting it in the garage. I might need to bring stuff into the utility room if it gets really cold since it does get below freezing in our garage sometimes. It faces the north.

I'm going to try the same thing with my gartenmeister fuchsia. I kept it as a houseplant last winter but it struggled and didn't do very well this summer after I put it back out. We'll see if it does better if I let it go dormant for awhile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintering over fuchsia - Fuchsia Forum FAQ

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I found it but it was so old it wasn't there anymore. I read the above post link and it is pretty much what she does.

Did you see the post on the same thread that said they can easily be rooted in water? I would try some that way just for fun.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't see that. I should try it too. I have some sweet potato vine rooting in water right now that I need to pot up. Got to get potting soil.
    I only saw a hummingbird going to the Dark Eyes once but it was quite sorry looking over the summer and not many blooms since I let it dry out too much a couple times. If I could hang it by my porch it would be easier to remember to water it but it was getting too much sun there so I moved it to a tree branch.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Have you tried that potting soil that helps hold water for that one?
    I use it for my begonia that gets too much sun. I noticed it helps so it won't get over dry before I get it watered. That's the only plant I use it for.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    15 years ago

What about using the disposable diapers to line pots? I read about that but haven't done it yet. They can sure hold a lot of liquid!

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

LOL, oh gldno1 I needed a good laugh.
    I can confirm they do hold a lot.
    But I have not tried them either.
    Maybe if I ever need to do this w/a plant I might give it a try.
    I read some where some one used them when they went on vacation. ????
    Bonnie

• pamcrews
    15 years ago

"I read some where some one used them when they went on vacation. ????"

Okay Bonnie...this hit a silly bone with me and I have to ask.......well you know the question..... Okay I'll behave now....

Pam

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

ha ha ha,
    Sorry I guess I left some info out for those of you who don't know...
    I run a daycare. That is haw I knew diapers hold a lot. I have one little one who I think could fill a gallon jug.
    So saying that I had not tried them I meant in my flower pots.
    I read some place where they used the diapers in their flowers while on vacation. To help hold in moisture.
    So that is how I know about the diapers.
    I may need depends someday, but not quite yet.
    I'm glad I could make you smile ; )
    I will have to start proof reading a little more often, lol.
    Bonnie, always up to my elbows in diapers.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Wow, looks like I need to hit spell check as well.
    Bonnie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Any updates on whether you succeeded at overwintering fuchsia last year?

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Prairiemoon - I've tried twice to winter over trailing fuchsia in my garage and didn't have very good luck. One was still alive (barely) when I brought it back out in the spring but struggled for a month or so then died.
    I don't have a greenhouse. I just put mine in the garage. I don't know if they got too cold or too dry. My Gartenmeister Fuchsia did make it through the winter in my garage.
    If you have room in your garage, it doesn't hurt to try.