Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone had good luck storing dahlias?

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 11:23

I have a few dahlias I want to try to dig and store and I haven't taken the time to research the best way to do that. For most things, my garage is too cold and my basement is too warm. I need a place that's in-between.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone had good luck storing dahlias?

I have trouble with caladiums rotting and so I probably would have a similar problem with dahlias. I would invest in more if I knew how to save them over winter.

o

Christie, why dig them? Mine come back every year with just a shredded leaf mulch on them over winter. I store the cannas in their dirt in the garage or under the bench in the cold place in the greenhouse. This year I just lifted the whole root balls out of the 4 pots and am storing them all together in a huge pot. The colors will stay separated that way, I hope. The caladiums don't all make it, but I've read you can store them in perlite. I might try that this year.
Sunny

o

I very seldom lose any. I've dug, put in peat moss, and dirt. This year, I put in pots with dirt and put in garage. its unheated, but I put them next to the house wall. I sometimes lose a few. but I always have more ordered for spring. One of my vices I guess. I've ordered 45 pots also, to have then on the deck this spring--deer ate freely this year, on them in the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here