Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspeachyn5

Journal- Beginning of November

jspeachyn5
14 years ago

Well I guess I will start the month off.

As you said Glenda lots of leaves down now. so I will try to get at least a little of mine raked up each day this week. Since it is to be nice out!!! What does not get raked will get the mower ran over them one last time. Have some places in the yard that is up to just below my knee. Wet areas that has not been able to mow.

Still have some plants blooming so I will leave them for a bit yet. Just hate to kill off plant when the stark winter is fast approaching.

Finished off the last of my veggie garden last week. An make salsa last Saturday with the last of the peppers an tomatoes. Have just a few green ones left.

Still have some plants I want to collect seed from that have not gotten ready yet.

My compost bin is nearly to the top. I'm hoping I will have enough room for now. Then will start a new one come spring.

Bonnie

Comments (9)

• helenh
    14 years ago

I am planting hyacinth bulbs that I got on sale. I love fragrance. Now I have to prepare a well drained spot that I won't accidentally dig into. I have been wasting lots of time watching my baby goldfish. I hope my little pond is deep enough for them this winter. I am thinking of making another pond. There has been a population explosion.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I haven't done any outside things since I last mowed up some leaves and the lawn. I thought that would be my last mowing, but we got another 2.5 inches of rain so I am thinking, I may have to do it again.

Helen, I didn't know you could overwinter goldfish outside.

I did find another mess of turnips yesterday! I think I just left them too closely planted. These are a little elongated, but they sure taste good.

• ceresone
    14 years ago

Well, I'm mowing again today, then running the sweeper, to gather the leaves for my raised beds. One bed is done, the chicken house cleanings went on it, with leaves on top--next beds will be reversed-putting leaves on, then cleaning out the barn for them. Only have 4 beds done so far, so the excess will go on compost pile.
    Then, have to fix the garden fence, that had to come down to move the shed in.
    And, if I survive all this, I want to build a barrier around all my little fruit trees that went in before last fall. Deer are so thick right now, do the only way to protect trees is a physical barrier.
    Sure would like to get this all done, so I could enjoy the weekend--Did you see the forcast?? upper 70's and no rain!

Having to treat Hubby's horse again, Vet's thinking might be something more serious with her hoof, hoping the big C hasn't set in.
    We now have a cat in the office at the barn-she has been there almost 2 months-from the looks of her tummy, she was shut up a day or so too late. She is a bob-tail cat, and sure keeps mice away.
    That's my mundane, tiring week, how's your's?

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Well, drat, I posted on the October thread.

Did you know they are predicting rain again next week!

I am still cleaning the garden off. I will go back out later today and try to finish.

I let the chickens roam the garden this morning and they are scratching the mulch to pieces having the time of their lives.

I still need to mow leaves again.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What a great weekend, love the weather but a bit much wind at times.
    I did get the top and back lawns all raked an then the leaves put on the flower beds.
    Still need to rake the bottom. How ever it is was still too wet down there.
    I think I may plant a couple of trees down there. It used to have maples down in the bottom until the ice storms took them out. It was never as wet down there for as long until they got wiped out.

Glenda the turnips look fine if they taste good I would not worry about how they look :)

Helen I bet you enjoy your pond. I think it would be relaxing. oooh an they water plants. Yep I would enjoy that.

Ceresone good luck w/your horse. I can almost bet you don't have trouble w/mice. I like the look of the bob tailed cat. Father In-law had one for a barn cat.

Little cloudy here but no rain so far.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I got out late yesterday afternoon and tried to mow the leaves into a windrow to mulch around the newly planted shrub border in the middle of the front yard. Now if we just don't get strong winds.........

I still have the west yard to do and will use some of them for mulching the west fence row. Thank God for riding mowers.

I did get the piles of debris from the flower bed next to the smokehouse picked up and dumped. That looks much better now.

I have lots of the native lamium popping up in the iris bed and elsewhere. I don't know if I should hoe them or hope the freeze kills them. I hope I remember next year to sprinkle corn gluten over that bed.

I got the daylily seeds planted and the garlic is about 4-5 inches tall now.

I keep looking at the flower beds wondering what I should cut down now....may just leave it all until spring.

I am already visiting various sites for seeds for next year. You can't keep an old gardener down!

• ceresone
    14 years ago

Well, I guess I never decide what to do, one year to the next!
    Short few years ago, I moved the pots off my deck, and decided watering was too much of a chore. So--I planted more garden. Now, since I only will have 4 beds (Raised) ready by spring, I'll go back to using the deck again. Hopefully, I can install a watering system, to automatically water them.
    Ever hear absence makes the heart grow fonder? Dont know as it works with all family, but sure does flowers.
    I remember how beautiful the Flambe Petunias were that I grew from seed--and how shocked I was to see Petunia seed for the first time--like fine dust!
    I'm wanting to grow them again--and try more roses-perhaps they Can be protected and make it thru the winter. The more fragile they are, the more I seem to want them!!
    And, I'm suprised at how well the cole plants are still doing--a purple brocolli is just now heading.
    The garden sheds in place, the old plants are mowed off, and have all barns cleaned out and on the beds. More and more leaves have fallen, I remember on another forum, being scolded for collecting the leaves-Guess city dwellers cant imagine how many leaves fall on a farm--we have probably 40 trees in yard alone.
    And--gardening is beginning to look better-since its gone for awhile.
    I think this is a "sickness" with me--But I know it will hang around!!!

• gldno1
    14 years ago

ceresone, I haven't forgotten you on the petunia seeds. I am still collecting and will get some out to you this week.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I got some manure from my friend. I put two little loads in my tomato area and shovels here and there in my flowers. The exbury azaleas, oak leaf hydrangea, dog wood, sweet shrub all got a shovel or two. I have some violas yet to plant and moved some columbines to my memorial garden I'm making for my mother.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County