Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Elk in Arkansas

christie_sw_mo
14 years ago

My husband drove to Conway this week and saw a couple Elk on the way (in Searcy County I think). That makes the second time he's see them in Arkansas. They must be pretty impressive. He says we should drive down sometime with the camera and look for them.

I've been teasing him because the first time he saw one, he came home and said he thought he saw a moose. lol

Comments (8)

• aznative40
    14 years ago

Christie;
    So, you have Elk there?... I really will miss the 'Mule Deer' Javalina, and Coyotes running through my property every night when I move. Please tell me you can hear Coyotes in the night there. :-)

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had to look up Javalina. I'd never heard of them.
    We don't have elk in Missouri that I'm aware of. I think they're just around northwest Arkansas. You may still hear coyotes at your new home though. I see one occasionally but it's not common in my area. I'm too close to town I think.
    If you enjoy wildlife and if you have room on your new land, you ought to check out the native trees and shrubs you can get through Missouri's department of conservation. You buy them bareroot in bundles of 25 and it comes out to about 25 to 30 cents a tree or something like that. You order them in the fall but they're not mailed until late winter/early spring. You must be a Missouri resident to get them.

Here is a link that might be useful: MDC Seedling Order Form

• ceresone
    14 years ago

Coyotes are thick here, especially when the moonlight is bright. They are so bad here, that dogs and cats arent safe outside.
    There was a truck came thru here once, transporting elk--years ago. Someone finally stopped him to tell him his back doors were open. I saw one, a few weeks later, limping badly, so I dont know if they are still around or not.

• helenh
    14 years ago

No elk here except where they raise them. I have coyotes; I hear them yipping at night. Sometimes a cat goes missing and I never know what happened but I am not sure it is coyotes. There are plenty of deer; they also don't bother me. I have three dogs that would chase them.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

If you live in a rural area, you will hear coyotes.

We have too many skunks, opossums, and deer to suit most farmers.

I love hearing the coyotes at night. Sometimes it seems there are almost in the yard.

We have also noticed more Redtail Hawks and crows than usual this year.

• aznative40
    14 years ago

Thanks all :
    gldno1 I too love hearing coyotes in the morning, Redtailed Hawks here, Instead of Crows we have Ravens.
    Christie; Really Javalina are related to both swine and a hippo. Kind of looks like a hairy russian boar, but smaller
    ceresone; I would doubt if a Coyote damaged a Elk, even if hurt. They will go for small animals (pets). Glad to here Coyotes are 'thick' there. Love to hear them in the distance, and we have learned how to live with them.
    Well, I have completed most of what I needed to move. Just need to rent a trailer, pack everything I packed. and travel east.
    Really Thanks for all your input, And when I arrive, and set up a internet conection, I hope you all will still be there.
    THX, Daniel

• helenh
    14 years ago

Bring your long underwear.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I feel like you are going to love the Ozarks!

Travel safely.

glenda

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County