Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
iris question

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 12, 09 at 12:17

I intended to move these out of the backyard over the summer and didn't get around to it. I think our latest dog addition may have pulled the leaves off of them or maybe the frost just killed the leaves. They look like they have new leaves growing back and the rhizomes are exposed. I've never had them sticking up out of the ground so much before.

Do you think I should put a little mulch or soil over them?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: iris question

Christie I would rather have the top half exposed than covered. Especially with all the rains.

I do think after bloom next spring they need to be divided.

All mine have new growth coming up too.

I believe I would let them be until next year.

o

Thanks Glenda - I was too embarrassed to show that photo in the iris forum. They look abused. I'll wait until spring to move them.

o

You shouldn't be ashamed. Mine had been in the same place for 10 years when the flooding rains caused all the rot and I decided to move them! I think I lost some completely but I will know for certain this year which will be the second year after moving.

o

Just to add confusion. I am by no means an expert, but I had a guy give me several bags of them yesterday. We are in SW MO. I'm not wanting to plant them but I will and they will do fine here. Iris are pretty hardy. Kathy

o

I have some lay in boxes in the barn overwinter and start showing green tips the next spring. I planted them and they survived. They are hard to kill.

Welcome ladycraft. Glad to have you join us.

glenda

o

Thanks Glenda, I am just getting back into gardening but will hang out here more. Kathy

o

Thanks Kathy! Sounds like you hit the jackpot on iris.
I have more iris that are the same kind as the ones in the photo on the other side of our fence away from my dogs so even if these succumbed to abuse, I'd have the others. They are those small purple ones that smell like grape koolaid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here