Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

What morning glories do you grow?

helenh
13 years ago

I have the dark purple could be grandpa otts or Tyler. It grows by itself and in some places is a problem. I once saw Mt. Fuji growing at Joplin Lawn and Garden in wood mulch. The soil was poor but the flowers were beautiful. Do any of you grow these fancy ones regularly? I see Park's has Tie Dye and I am tempted to order it. If they had Mt. Fuji, I would order that.

Comments (17)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I've been growing heavenly blue, grandpa ott and the smaller cypress vine that hummers love. I also planted milky way but they didn't grow well enough to get to the flowering stage.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love Heavenly Blue but I have to wait all summer for them to bloom and then sometimes frost gets them pretty early. That is probably true of all of them except the small purple ones. At least that way there aren't so many seeds as some aren't mature by frost. I haven't grown it in a few years. A couple of years ago I had moonvine. The foliage has more substance that MG and I liked it. I don't know why I don't grow it every year.

• peggiewho
    13 years ago

I grew the Heavenly Blue one year on a very tall apple picking ladder. The vine was huge and didn't start blooming until late summer. Are they day length sensitive or was I treating it too well? It grabbed the crape myrtle beside it. A storm came blow the whole thing down and broke a big limb off the crape myrtle. I was in trouble with the man! I haven't grown it since. What is the cypress vine like? It looks very delicate. I am always looking for hummingbird plants.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I don't deliberately plant morning glories anymore! I will have Grandpa Ott's forever. I have some crosses and more of the wild ones in the garden than I want.

I do love seeing them well-grown in other peoples gardens.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

The cypress vine is slightly more delicate than MGs but not by much. Here's a picture of just the cypress vine growing up the same elm tree. Like MGs they don't really need any fertilizer. I give them just a little nitrogen when they are small. I transplant them in ground when they get around 18-24" and stop fertilizing.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cypress vine is something you should try. I think it is day length and in a way it is good they bloom late. Glenda is right, you'll have morning glories forever if they seed early. Moonvine which I really like does not usually produce seed early enough for me to save seed. The pods are there but they are still green when it freezes.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How would park and recreation man like the trellis in the background of the first picture from the cottage garden forum? I also like the little stick trellis. Around here someone might think a tornado left it.

Here is a link that might be useful: wild big trellis picture

• peggiewho
    13 years ago

Park and recreation man is only picky about the front yard but is pretty arts..ie. He has loosened up a bit. Are you sure that is a trellis or two plants woven at the top. What ever, it looks like it got away from them and I like it. I haven't used tree branches in construction projects yet but give me time. I do use branches as stakes and the first year I used flowering pear the stakes bloomed in spring. It was like the waters parted, a miracle. The next year P&R man tried it. Today I was using pomegranate branches to weave around my potted fuchsias to prop them up. Free is a good price to pay for a stake. I like the ferny leaves on the cypress vine, nice picture.
    pw

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got my Japanese morning glories in the mail. It was worth for the stamps and letters (characters or symbols) on the envelope. I'll bet my postmaster wonders what I'm up to.

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

The old Grandpa Otts comes up every year for me, blooming in the autumn clematis. I don't plant them any more either. I do have one little red one that looks very much like the cypress vine but with morning glory leaves, not sure if it is a native or was planted at one time by the previous owner of my house. It comes up every year by the fence next to my driveway and reseeds.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

mosswitch you could have a cross. They are the same family.

Helen I've had the postmaster or customs open many of my envelopes containing seed from other countries but they were all delivered so far. I've heard you can actually be charged with smuggling for plants(not seeds)without the proper papers.

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

Taz, the little red one is a garden escape wildflower, comes from tropical America; Ipomoea coccinea, a variety all its own. Not a native after all but not invasive. It is a pretty little thing!

• ladycraft
    13 years ago

In fear of sounding stupid but I didn't realize that morning glories would grow up a tree. Am I seeing that correctly? Guess I thought they wouldn't get enough sun. I haven't planted any because I didn't have a trellis in place.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I use 2 pieces of yarn tied to rocks or the pot and up to a branch and run them back and forth to each piece. Once they get up in the branches they will climb them. I wish I had some pictures of my elms 3 years ago in full bloom. I've had people stop and ask what kind of trees they were, lol. They do cling to the rough bark but the bark isn't good enough alone (on these elms anyway). The first time I used tack nails driven in the outer bark and trained the vines around the nails as they grew. The vines don't go as far when wrapped around the trunk. I'll probably have lots of volunteers next year as I didn't harvest many seeds as I've done previously.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

OK, you all, now I want to see pictures of all these morning glories this next summer!

Especially those in the trees.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

glenda

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Mine was good.
    The biggest problem with MGs in my trees is that Japanese beetles love elms and the last 2 years have been devastating. I won't do anything different besides starting my MGs a little sooner if I have the room. The first year I tried this they were about 6 feet long when I took them outside.

• ladycraft
    13 years ago

I'm looking forward to having the cypress vine and a sea of heavenly blue in my trees. Sad to see winter and the lack of bright colors. I have Christmas lights out right now so there is color but it will be dark and gloomy soon.