Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

bulbs

helenh
12 years ago

I bought too many - all the hyacinths I could find and a few other kinds of bulbs. Sams had them in boxes 30 for $7.31. They are smaller than the ones I bought at Ozark Nursery 10 for $6. I am happy with both and I went overboard. Someone in Sams thought I was landscaping the tornado houses and I said no all for me.

Comments (12)

• NancyPlants
    12 years ago

haha...thats funny Helen...'all for me'
    :)

I just love hyacinths. I gave up on tulips...they dont come back like hyacinths. It seems like the blooms last longer and the colors are so vivid.

Glad you got lots...just for you :)

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Oh your poor knees. That's a lot of bulbs. It will be so rewarding though when they all start blooming. We want a picture when they do.

I gave up on tulips a long time ago too. Maybe someday daffodils will come in as many colors as tulips. I'm waiting for that.

• gldno1
    12 years ago

helen, if someone would plant mine, I would buy them by the bushel basket....so far; I haven't bought any but really should.

I don't plant tulips either once I found that the moles love to eat the bulbs. I have planted them and never had a single bulb come up! I have moles all over the front yard hopefully munching on JB grubs.

I may try some tulips in a big container. I have a whiskey barrel I could use...

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

You might put the tulip bulbs in a black nursery pot, and bury the pot. That would keep the moles and voles out. Or a hardware cloth basket. I planted some in a whiskey barrel one year and it froze solid in the hard winter we had. They all turned to mush and not a one came up, but that might not always be the case.

Sandy

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't buy tulips anymore. If I could find them without paying shipping I would buy the lily flowering ones and the red Emperor. Those are worth the money for one spring show. I have rodents all over. Puffy does his best. If it weren't for him I would be over run, but he can't catch the voles very easily. He gets the wood rats that build stick nests in the barn and in the wood pile. I got mostly hyacinths which rot if you put them in the wrong place. I have had some of those come back for years but not all of them.

I also got a few tete a tete daffodils and double daffodils and some grape hyacinths. I don't like it when my bulbs start coming up early but this year I am not seeing that. It may have been too dry for even bulbs to root. They are saying we will get a rain this week. My favorites are the small daffodils but I didn't see many of those for sale. You had to also take the grape hyacinths in the same package. I will plant those grape h on the side of my driveway where the soil is rocks and weeds grow. It is nice to see them on the way to the mailbox.

For cat lovers. Did you see the story about the Main Coon cat that was found in Joplin after being lost in the tornado. It was a 20 pound cat and was 4 pounds when they found it. It is back up to 10 pounds. I worry about my animals when I am away. I guess you don't have to worry so much about cats. It was a pampered member of the family and survived 5 months on its own apparently no one was feeding it.

• borderbarb
    12 years ago

Hey .... I just discovered this site for Ozark gardeners and this thread about one of my favorite plants ... daffodils .... which don't do well here in our climate. But I've bought a property near Rogers ... and will soon move in and learn how to garden Ozark-style! Which will include all the bulbs I can't grow here !!

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome barb. I lived in Southern California when I was in 1st to 6th grade a very very l o n g time ago. You can grow ranunculus and anemones which I have never been able to grow here. Rogers looks like a nice town. I go down that way in the fall for the craft shows. Are you originally from there? Something made you miss daffodils.

Glenda I tried bulbs in big pots once and they all rotted except oriental lilies which do well in big pots. (Something eats lily bulbs if I put them in the ground.) I blamed the miracle grow holding too much water but don't know what happened really.

• borderbarb
    12 years ago

Helen .... no, I'm a native Californian [74 yrs], but my daughter and son-in-law have lived in NWArk and introduced me to the area.... so now I'm moving to a new home ...with new gardening tricks to learn.... told the real estate lady that once I moved in, I'd put up road blocks and prevent too many people from moving here and turning it into another CA [population has quadrupled in my lifetime]... not sure if she knew I was just kidding. ..... re: where did I learn to love daffodils ... have tried to grow them over the years ... they are my birth flower ... with very spotty luck ... I dream of fields of yellow johnnys ....
    Anyway ... thanks for the welcome .... I'll be 'lurking' in this forum to learn the ropes.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Good luck with your move to the Ozarks Barb. It'll be nice to be so much closer to your kids. Welcome to the Ozarks forum. Please feel welcome to join in and post all the questions you want or just chat.

If you have some shade, you'll be able to grow hostas which I don't think you'd be able to grow in California. I'm sure there are lots of plants that I take for granted here and would miss, and of course the fall colors....and snow.

Hope you love your new home.

• peggiewho
    12 years ago

Opps, Helenh bought bulbs. Now I am stuck! I also bought bulbs for her yard. I got a 'Curb Appeal' bag with blue hyacinth, daffodil and pink tulips. And if that was too big to get in the suit case I was going to take the smaller bag of pink and purple hyacinth instead. If there isn't room at helenh yard I may have to dig a very big hole here. Because I also got more daffodils for my yard. This gardening thing must be a gene that runs in families. Maybe the problem is the greed gene interacts with the gardening gene? So now there are 183 bulbs that need a home. Mmmm... I's a good day to dig!

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Ok Peggie - I don't have a sister so if Helen ever gets tired of you, I'll claim you. : ) You know she'll still want those bulbs even though she bought some herself. There's no such thing as too many. That's when plants look their best - when there's a big mass of color.

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Christie knows all. Too many bulbs is a good problem, but leave room for clothes in your suitcase. It is cold at night here. We go from cold to warm and thunderstorms with blind dog getting excited and Honey standing in the rain barking to come in. Did the tulips you planted at your house bloom? If room is lacking, hyacinths would be great. Puffy will have to guard the tulips. He had a mouse yesterday and was smart enough to avoid dogs which always take his rodents when he looks away like cat do as part of the mouse torture.