Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brrrrrrr!

Posted by gldno1 z6MO (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 15:01

The White Crowned Sparrows are back and taking a bath. My husband took these out the kitchen window.

The berried bush is nandina domestica,

I see the purple finches are back too. We bought wild bird seed and black oil sunflower seeds day before yesterday but haven't got the feeders up yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brrrrrrr!

Thanks for the pictures. That first one with them in action is cute. I saw birds taking a bath in the stock tank yesterday. I have sticks in there so they had something to perch on. Bird seed is expensive. If you have a good window to view them it is worth it. I will wait for winter and put out the bird seed in bad weather. The red berries are a welcome bright spot. This weather has been great for digging although it is burrrr in the mornings.

o

It is expensive. The sunflower seed 50 lbs. was 24.99 and the wild bird seed 40 lbs was 17.50 at SOMO. It should last all winter. We both enjoy the birds and have two windows we can see them from pretty close. I justify it because we rarely just spend money on entertainment. I also feel guilty because I know the birds expect it.

o

Guess they don't mind the chilly water.

It's much cheaper to buy birdseed in bulk like you did. I still have some left over from last winter. I didn't feed the birds much because it was so warm.

o

I am feeding the birds; I can see them from my window. They are stealing cat food. It is not good for them according to what I read online, but I can't stop them. The cat food was in the barn where animals were eating it. I moved it to the porch behind the dog houses as a solution. Cardinals, titmice and wood hatches are the main visitors. They are lining up on a mulberry branch and taking turns.

o

I've seen Bluejays go after my dogs' food if they don't eat it all. It's suprising how much a couple birds can can eat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here