Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Falls Colors are Dropping Fast!

gldno1
15 years ago

I have begun the mowing of the leaves.

{{gwi:1122336}}

Most of these piles are where I circled the mower around the new shrubs for mulching.

{{gwi:1122337}}

I also just blow the leaves onto flower beds.

I am a little slow on the uptake. For the first several passes, I was just dozing piles of leaves, then I heard a small branch being chewed up and, Voila!, the leaves began blowing out like crazy. I guess the limb was blocking the intake.

I got cold after and hour or so and retired the mower for another day.

Comments (7)

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Looks good. Too bad those leaves don't stay on the trees a bit longer when they are those pretty colors.
    I know what you mean about the cold.
    I went out to restack my fire wood. saturday. I decided it was way too cold. My hands hurt so bad and took forever to get warm again.
    I put my mower up last week after mowing my lawn one last time to get it good and short.
    that for me is always a sign winter is here, sad.
    Looks like you have a nice size yard. that should keep you hopping.
    Always nice to see people in the yard you work on to look nice, enjoying it.

Bonnie

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is just about half of the yard. Here is the west yard, partially mowed. Then there is the east yard where the cellar is....its is as large as the west yard. Its about a 1.5 to 2 hour mowing with a 42" mower; too large, but there isn't a real good way to reduce it.

{{gwi:1122338}}

You will note how sorry my grass is! I am not a grass person at all. This is filled in with various wild grasses and weeds over summer.

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

That sounds like mine as far as size. It takes me right at 2 hours of hard mowing, the have about 30 min of weed eating.
    I try to keep it to where I don't have to weed wack. but I have s few places up next to the house I try to keep very short near the foundation to keep down on the spiders.
    My lawn was pretty bad when I moved her. I have been working on it a little each year. It's not looking to bad all around the house and in front. It's the outer area that gets a lot of hot sun that I'm having trouble with.
    I am trying to find a good grass to grow in that area. the rye worked really well up close but wont work down there.
    I 'll bet your grandchildren enjoy your yard.
    You always have a great looking place in all of your pictures.
    Bonnie

• caroline_2008
    15 years ago

Gldno, you have a very pretty yard, I know it is a lot
    of work for you. I like working in my yard. I have
    several leaves from boarding neighbors. One large
    tree in back, I gave my dogwood to my landscapers
    because I didn't have enough shade for it.It was just
    3 yrs old. I want to replace it with a "purple leaf
    Cherry tree". They are a small tree and pretty all
    year, even without leaves. :) It will be put in
    front yard.
    Thanks for sharing your pics.

caroline

• bunny6
    15 years ago

You have nice big yard, and you did a job cleaning it up. How do you keep the leaves around your shrubs from blowing away?

I blow my leaves into my flower beds, too. Last week I pulled up all the old annuals and then my husband blew the leaves from the drive way into the garden. I still need to do the backyard:)
    Ann

• helenh
    15 years ago

It looks like you have been busy. I need to move my pots together and mulch the ones that still have plants. I have dumped some pots and pulled up annuals making a mound of potting mix and dead plants on my cannas. It doesn't look pretty but nothing does now anyway. I drove around last weekend in town looking for bagged leaves. I didn't find any. I hope we get a nice warm sunny weekend so people will get busy and bag some leaves.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

helen, next time we go to the in-laws in town, I am insisting we drive around in their area looking for bagged leaves! They live in an old neighborhood with lots of huge trees. Lots of people had trees removed after the ice storm, so hope I can still find some. DH will not be happy............

I have a spot next to the old chicken house under the clematis and hydrangea facing east where I put all carryover pots of things. Then I pile leaves or straw over it until spring. I have never lost anything doing this. I just have 4 pots this year.