Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ordering trees and shrubs from MDC

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 29, 06 at 16:24

The MO Dept. of Conservation has order forms now for bare root trees and shrubs.

This year they have added Serviceberry (amelanchier arborea) and Nannyberry (viburnum lentago). I ordered a bundle of each of those but I noticed they are also included in the Conservation and Wildlife bundles where you get an assortment. Wish I could custom make my own little assorted bundle. : ) There are some others that I'd like to have but don't want to order more than I could get planted.

I will get a total of 50 seedlings for around $20 which includes the cost for postage and handling. It's such a good deal, I wanted share the link in case someone didn't know about it. They have around 80 different varieties that can be ordered for early spring. It's offered to Missouri residents only and they cannot be resold.

Here is a link that might be useful: MDC seedling order form

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ordering trees and shrubs from MDC

Thanks for reminding me. The last time I checked their website, the order form was not up. I want to get some things too and I had totally forgotten about them.

o

Hey GLD - What do you plan to order? Maybe we can share with each other to get more variety.

o

Christie, I am just now seeing this post....my phone was out all day yesterday and I am dial-up. I will try to visit MDC this weekend and let you know. I do know I want some fall color in shrubs and small trees.

o

I'm sure there are several on that list that have good fall color. I'm hoping that the Amelanchiers and nannyberries will both have good fall color. I already have two nannyberries and they turned a dark red this fall, maybe a little too dark to stand out a lot but they were still kinda pretty. If you decide to order fragrant sumac for fall color, I wouldn't mind having a couple of those. : )

I plan to add to my order and get some for the garden group at my kids elementary school. Does anyone have suggestions for that. I don't know whether it would be better to order something that most people are familiar with like flowering dogwoods or maybe maybe something more unusual.

Is anyone growing amelanchier arborea? Wonder if that's one that Japanese beetles like to munch on. I have a small amelanchier canadensis tree and it gets defoliated badly by something in the summer. I also have another shrub type amelanchier and haven't noticed the leaves getting eaten on them at all.

o

Thank you, Thank you for posting this, Christie. I just ordered some service trees that I've wanted for a long time. I'll have more than I need when I get my order in March so I'll post here and see if any of you Missouri folks want a couple.
Anise

o

Christie, I keep procrastinating.....everytime I get an order together, I think about planting all that stuff and I freeze. I don't get much gardening help here!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here