Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

sales

helenh
11 years ago

Atwood's had crepe myrtles for $1 and pansies 75% off. I also picked up two small purple kale. Lowe's had lots at 75% off except mums and pansies. I bought three beautiful heuchera plants and other things I don't need. The most expensive thing was potting mix that I need to plant the cheap plants.

Comments (5)

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

I need potting mix too. I bought several containers on clearance a few weeks ago and I still haven't put anything in them.
    I brought some little meyer lemon seedlings inside that need to be repotted. They're in four inch pots and sadly haven't outgrown them yet but I'm hoping if I repot them, they'll start growing better.
    I haven't checked out any clearance lately. I thought everything was gone. Maybe I should look.
    I have some work I need to do outside but tomorrow's forecast looks a little warmer and less windy than today so I'm putting it off.

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Does anyone have luck getting iceplant through the winter. The tag says it is very hardy. I have never been able to keep them long.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

A few years ago, I had two or three delosperma 'Stardust' that I grew from seed and got them through their first winter so I thought I was going to have good luck with them but they didn't come back after the second. It was most likely a drainage problem rather than hardiness zone so if I tried them again, I might keep them in a container in a dryish spot over winter instead of in the ground. It's a pretty neat plant and blooms a long time.

There are several plants, including delosperma, I'd like to try if I had a big raised bed with good drainage. I can't keep agastache alive through more than one winter and most of the coreopsis cultivars I've tried don't come back. Last year I bought some coreopsis late on clearance and the one I never got around to planting and left in it's tiny pot on my patio was the only one that returned.

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I bought two ice plants on sale at Lowes in Grove. My sister in CA said they used to use them as median plants but they would partially die out and ruin the look. It doesn't rain there in summer and gets hot. She complains of plants rotting in the winter so I think you are right. I also can't keep agastache alive or the thread leafed coreopsis. I thought it was voles or a hardiness problem. Honey dug up a vole the other day and played with it like a cat. When I dig a hole about anythere in my garden I find tunnels.

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have so many sale plants and it was fun to pick them out. Last weekend I found Encore azaleas at Home Depot for under $5 each for gallon plants. I can't grow them but my friend can and he bought three nice plants. At Lowe's in Neosho I got 4 black heucheras for $1 each and a whole bunch of pansies and violas. All these plants were very healthy and full. Lowes was expecting Christmas trees that afternoon. I usually take good care of my heucheras but since these were cheap I am putting them in the ground instead of pots. I gave some violas to my neighbor who watched my dogs when I was away. I am so glad the two animals didn't die when I was gone because that would have upset me more and my neighbor would have felt bad.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?