Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aznative40

Moving to the Aurora area

aznative40
14 years ago

Just wondering how the starting and planting dates differ from here. Where I live in AZ I start the long season toms Mar. 1 short season toms and peppers 2 weeks after, and plant out May 1. In the middle of July and for a month it gets 100+ F and things shut down, so we seem to have 2 growing seasons. Our freeze comes about holloween when most things die. What should I expect there? THX in advance

Comments (9)

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I'm not an experienced gardener when it comes to veggies. Still learning. I mostly wanted to say welcome. : )

The University of Missouri Extension Center has a wealth of information on gardening in Missouri. There's a link to their planting calendar close to the top left of the page below and if you click on the particular vegetables you're interested in, it will have a list of recommended varieties for Missouri.

Welcome to Missouri. Glad you found the Ozarks forum. It should be very helpful to you.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

It doesn't count as being forgetful if I notice that I forgot before everyone else does. lol
    Here's the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Univ. of MO vegetable planting calendar

• helenh
    14 years ago

Welcome from me aznative. It is surprising to me that your planting dates are so similar to ours. I am sure we have more humidity than you are used to. I am not familiar with early season and late season tomatoes. We have variable weather. It seems we often have no spring. It will be winter then it will be hot with not much transition. It will warm up sometimes in Feb. and then go right back to winter. The last few years have brought crazy weather. A few years ago we had a late hard freeze in April. It killed hardy things that had shot out. Last year it was cool and wet in May, but tomatoes are usually very safe by mid May. The stores start selling tender plants too early. I put out some tomatoes early maybe in late April using walls of water on a few plants. I also planted an early variety and had tomatoes in early July. The better tasting ones came on in mid July. I don't know how to get to it now, but there is a weather website that will give you the average and record high and low temperatures for your zip code for every date. I used it last spring to calculate my risk of frost. I will look for it.

• aznative40
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Helen and Christie. By the way early season tomatos fruit 50 to 75 days from transplanting ( like Bloody Butcher and Stupice). Late sesaon 80 to 95 ( Like Cherokee Purple and others). As you can tell, I'm kind of into heirlooms. THX again

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Aznative - I meant to ask if you're bringing any plants with you from Arizona. Some perennials that do well in the southwest don't like our soggy winters and will die even though it's not too cold here for them. Be careful not to plant those in a low area. Agastache is one. I have lost those in the winter a few times.

Does your new property already have an area that's been used for a vegetable garden? I'm not sure about Aurora but some places in the Ozarks are very rocky and have poor soil. You may need to do some soil amending.

I hear Cherokee Purple mentioned a lot. I want to try that one. I got seeds for it this summer in a trade but it was somewhat late to plant them so I'm hanging onto them for next year.

• aznative40
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Christie;
    No, the only plants I'm bringing are my indoor ones that did not die. As I'm not a very good potted plant person. Ozarks is rocky with poor soil? Here we have 6 - 10 inchs of soil with caliche underneath. and rocks? No matter how many tractor loads I take off, with the monsoons a new crop comes to the surface. Looking forward to living in a place where things will grow in a year. For example, the mesquite in back of my land are only 15 feet tall and are 100 years old.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Welcome to the Ozarks, aznative.

We have rocky soil, but it is pretty good growing soil, lots of trace minerals. One thing you will be familiar with is it doesn't hold moisture as well as some other areas because of all the rocks, good drainage we like to call it. It will hold moisture better than your Arizona soil...I am thinking.

This is a good time to move. You will have all fall and winter to plan and get ready for next spring.

Did you know we have one of the premier heirloom seed companies here. Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds in Mansfield is very well known.

Happy gardening.

glenda

Here is a link that might be useful: heirloom seeds

• ceresone
    14 years ago

I think everyone has already answered your questions, but just wanted to welcome you, to the area, and to the forum.
    Glad to see another heirloom gardener-LOL--guess that could mean MY age too, right? It's just nice to grow what I did when I was younger, and save seeds.

• aznative40
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Semi-appoligise for waiting so long till I responded. Been packing, selling excess things, getting ready to move. A little hard when I have been in a place for years. REALLY THX for all your responses and help with getting to know you. Looking forward to continuing our conversations when I arrive and try to plant next spring.
    :-)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions