Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetwm007

plans for the winter and spring

sweetwm007
16 years ago

appears to be kinda slow so i thought i would share some plans for the winter/ spring.

i am going to graft some tomatoes. i have been wanting to do this for 3 yrs. the rootsock i have is called hires. i think three different varieties of brandywine would be a good scion choice.

plan on building a cattle panel hoop type bed. there will be one bed on each side for pole beans and cucumbers. the idea came from this forum. three panels long and the 2 beds will only be about a ft wide and about 157 inches in length.

also am going to try some straw bale gardening. i am going to enclose the bales in wood. will do determinate tomatoes, squash and give another try at sweetpeas for my wife.

planning is so much easier then the actual construction. now off to decide what type of wood to use. we have a sawmill close by that has been very helpful.

william- in yellville

Comments (10)

• oakleif
    16 years ago

I'll be looking at seed catalogs during winter(only thing to keep my sanity as cabin fever sets in) and check my iris and spring flowers for signs of green and spend alot of time on computer.

Spring will plant a handful of veggies in containers.I've got to figure out where i can place my containers to get more sun.Since i've got trees everywhere that is going to be hard to do.

• gldno1
    16 years ago

I am just now getting some catalogs. That always gets me going.

William, you will enjoy the cattle panel beds. I am going to move mine next spring. It is too hard to get to where it is. I grew pole beans on both sides of mine. Love picking the beans inside in the shade and standing up!

I need to start planning the new front yard center border. I see where the path will be.....the dog has created it coming around the house out about 3 - 4 feet from the foundation. Might as well take advantage.

tomato grafting....interesting.

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

gldno1- i think you are the one that posted the photo. loved the way the green beans were hanging. why not cucumbers too?

oaklief- did you get the china pictures i sent you????????????

william- in yellville

• pauln
    16 years ago

This is the time of year that I like to build my new rock terraces. I manage to have some time off work, and the cool weather lends itself to hoisting and hurling rocks much more readily than the awful summer. I'm kinda stuck right now, as I seem to have almost run out of rocks. Hopefully, my buddy will regain access to his trailer so we can go into rock aquisition mode. We're always scouting new construction sites in these parts where they love for us to haul off the recently unearthed stones. The rocks start out somewhat brown or yellow, but will age well with some sun, rain, and algae/moss/lichins creeping in over the upcoming years. In the meantime, I'll rake leaves and use them for bed mulch. Also, I need to patch up some older terraces that haven't aged the way I had planned. I'm looking at my waterfall/watergarden and thinking about re-working the upper part.

Alas, it looks like maybe it's time to do some work inside the house for a change. I do love this time of year. Crisp clean air, no bugs, lots of birds flitting about, and temps that make me want to keep moving.

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    16 years ago

paul- i enjoy this time of the yr too. working in the garage with the crisp weather early in the morning gives you a feeling of " at your pace productivity " which is what i need. getting dark at 5:30 sucks though.

william

• JamesY40
    16 years ago

I have been shredding leaves for the garden. I love to mix with the existing soil and let sit until the Spring. I also have several varieties of flower and shrubs rooting in the greenhouse. James

• bigred
    16 years ago

so much to do...so little time to plan because I didn't get all I needed/wanted to do done this passed fall.

I'm telling myself I don't need any more seeds but we'll see have my resolve holds when the catalogs start hitting the mailbox.

To date I have about 58-59 varieties of tomatoes seed. I will not buy any more toamto seeds...I will not buy any more tomato seeds...I WILL NOT BUY ANY MORE TOMATO SEEDS! Well...ok, so maybe just 2 or 3 more varieties and I would so love to try those Mexican Sour Gerkins, Giant Chinese peppers,squash,melons and roselle*G*

I'm tilling a spot behind the #1 greenhouse for shadey annuals for cuts for farmers market. Need to plan an irragation system for the big garden so I can get a fall crop of maters to live.

I've already started my winter sewing with paw-paws,hackberries,indian pinks and great solomons seal.Earlier I sewed american hazelnut and beechnuts. Will knuckle down for serious after Christmas.

I've got seedless grapes and Brown Turkey figs to plant as soon as possible next year. Would love to have some thornless dew/black/raspberries. I planted some Ozark Plums in my neighbors yard a coule years ago. They produce a grand total of 9 plums this passed years so hoping for bigger crop next year.

Lots of flowerbeds to re-do. Lost a lot of plants due to waterline breaking on one side of the house and this summer's drought.

PP

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Gee!! Had to reply to post. No William, i did'nt get the pictures of China. My mail has been in never never land. I did get one from mulberryknob from sometime in Dec but not one from you.
    Peggy, it was good to see your post. How are things in Nashville? Are you still having spring plant trades? Come on back often.
    vickie

• jspeachyn5
    16 years ago

Well has anyone any suggestions as to what type of trees I should replant this year? The west side of my house has no shade or cover.a neighbor I would rather not have to listen to. The south side is where all the trees were broken from the ice. I have a railroad track an that side a ways off. pleas no trees that make too big of a mess in spring/fall. I am too busy w/plants I enjoy to be sweeping and raking every morning. Last one had so much dropping everyday in spring. would sweep the drive and walk and full again by sundown.

• gldno1
    16 years ago

jspeach, you might check into the various new locust trees. I know they have leaves that just degrade in place. I can't think of any others right now. They have hybrids that are seedless and one that is golden in color.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists