Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

tomatoes

helenh
15 years ago

I still have tomatoes that I picked before frost. I think they are more acidic, but I am still eating them. I thought the little outdoor cat that I let come in once in a while had an accident. It was rotten tomatoes. I had to sort through them and unwrap the newspaper. Does anyone else have any? I am going to do this again next year. Sometimes by the end of the season, I'm sick of them.

Comments (11)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I have never done that before. Each year, I mean to but never get around to it.

Would you believe the one night I didn't cover the lettuce , it got down to 24° and it didn't hurt the lettuce. Some may actually get to the rosette stage (buttercrunch).

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

we have 3 left. think they are jet star. nothing like a tomato in december!
    william

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Helen - Did you wrap them individually in newspaper to store them? Where are you keeping them? When I was looking up info on onions, one of the storage methods was to wrap them indivually in newspapers and keep in the frig. One link said you couple keep them up to a year that way but that seems like a long time.
    If my garage wasn't already so full, I would love to have an extra frig out there.

I tried sun dried tomatoes for the first time this summer. They were in a boxed Macaroni Grill dinner from Wal-Mart. I expected them to taste like tomatoes and they really didn't. Raisins don't taste a anything like grapes so I shouldn't have been surprised. They were ok but I'd much rather have fresh tomatoes.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I kept them in the basement and wrapped them individually. You are supposed to only store perfect unblemished ones. I probably put some in with flaws. I would say it was worth it. I think a shallow cardboard flat one layer deep would work better than the cardboard boxes I used. Then the flats could be stacked with some newspaper between layers.

• gbbrown
    15 years ago

We had tomatoes until Christmas last year and will probably go longer this year. My husband has not wraped the fruit, just put into cardboard boxes, one layer deep. As they turn red they go into an extra frige intil needed. Yes, they are tomatoes from our garden, but they are not wonderful.
    GBB

• pauln
    15 years ago

I picked several small green tomatoes before our killing frost. I have them in a sunny window, and they are ripening quickly. I may even have enough for caprese salad this weekend!

I grew several heirloom tomatoes from seed this past year. Some were excellent, others, not so much. There was a couple of black varieties (more purple than black) that I really loved. The best variety was a freebie that the seed company included with my order, Pink Ping Pong. Small round tart dandies that produced buckets of fruit. Some day soon, when it's all grey and dreary, I'll do some more searching for seeds and dream of next summer's bounty. The seeds I ordered were from Tomato Fest.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Had to look up the caprese salad too! I would love that! I even have the fresh (home-made) mozzarella to go with it...just no tomatoes or basil. I will be trying that next summer.

I did recently did a kind of bruschetta with my mozzarella. I lightly oiled the bread, put a slice of mozzarella and sliced some pretty tasty cherry tomatoes on a vine and broiled it until the cheese got melty. Very tasty. I used my homemade bread which was whole wheat and oatmeal.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pauln, Do you know the names of the purple varieties that you liked? Also did you like pink ping pong for the production and vigor or the tart taste. I used to grow early girl every year because it never failed, but I like the taste of others better. It is impossible to describe the taste of a good tomato. Just wondering which tasted best. I may try an heirloom again; I have better luck with hybrids.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

violet zone 6 recommended this site a while back. I have fooled around all day today and feeling guilty.

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato info fun to search through

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

try black from tula, carbon, black krim and cherokee purple or indian stripe.
    just a suggestion.
    a good hybrid red is brandyboy f1. a PL plant. if you can find seeds.
    an excellent cherry is sungold f1. tasty and prolific with very good disease resistance.
    william

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad you are back William.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES