Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyside1_gw

Mexican Petunias (tall) Report

sunnyside1
13 years ago

I was in the greenhouse today and noticed some beautiful purple flowers. Turns out they were the tip cuttings in a glass of water of the tall Mexican petunias we discussed back in Sept. or October. They had roots 1 inch long and were blooming their heads off. Soooo I guess that means that not only are they going to come back as cut-back perinneals in my big ceramic pot and also I can count on some from reseeding outside, I can take cuttings from the water-rooted cuttings in the GH and do this from year to year.

I suppose that lovely plant from Jenks counts as one of my best buys in years. You could definitely keep them going in a sunny window in the house to overwinter them. You might have to just keep cutting them back, because they get 3 ft. tall at maturity.

The Cat's Whisker cuttings haven't taken off yet, but I'm hoping they will overwinter in their pots outside (at least).

Sunny

Comments (8)

• helenh
    13 years ago

That is good to know, Sunny. I will have to buy a plant there next spring. Their big plant was really outstanding. When he said they kept it over winter in the greenhouse, I lost interest because I don't do well with plants in the house.

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

That will be a great bonus if your Mexican Petunia continues to flower a little over winter. I need to watch for those. The Mobot website gives one called 'Purple Showers' a Plant of Merit award.

I'm jealous of your greenhouse. My lantanas and pentas that I put in the garage look awful. I don't have much hope for those. My bougainvillea is looking great though and blooming. I have it by a south window in my basement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican Petunia 'Purple Showers'

• sunnyside1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Christie, you wouldn't be jealous if you knew how much work it is to keep it. I checked on it at 8 AM today and the thermometers showed 45 degrees. Yikes! I have been too busy with burning leaves and garden clean-up to get the gas furnace going in there -- depending at night on a 1500 watt electric heater that really works well. But apparently 30 degrees burned out the gh fuse and no power.

I'll have to fire the gas furnace up today for sure. I use gh bubblewrap over all the vertical glass and that needs to be put up before the furnace gets going.

The Mexican petunia link looks like the same. Wonder if you could order one in March or April and get some cuttings started before last frost date? I'd be tempted to do that. My sunny kitchen sink windowsill is overflowing with rooting plants all year long.
    Sunny

• helenh
    13 years ago

Tell me more about the greenhouse bubble wrap. Is it ordinary bubble wrap just used in a greenhouse or different in some way? How do you attach it? Is it expensive?

• sunnyside1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Helen, the bubble I use came from Charlie's Greenhouse Supply. It's 1 inch bubble. You can see their catalog on-line. I put it up with a double-sided gel tape from Wal-Mart. Tape the top and then use spring-tension curtain rods to keep it there.

I'm thinking it was about $55 for a big roll. Charlie's said it only lasts two years, but mine has been on three years with no signs of wear. I keep it up on the south side all year long. It saves a bunch of money on heating bills. And keeps the gh cooler in the summer. Plenty of light gets through the semi-clear bubbles.
    Sunny

• helenh
    13 years ago

I don't know why it wouldn't help on a cold frame? I googled it and someone gets bubble wrap free from furniture stores. Yours would be neater though. With my current dog situation (little Honey) it would be in small pieces all over the place. He has Beau acting like a kid running around with a black plastic gallon pot when I came home. Honey had a solar light the other day and chewed my good shoe. He is funny but now I have to be careful what I leave lying around.

• sunnyside1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For a cold frame, you could probably use the packing-type bubble wrap. I'd put it on the inside of the glass, bubbles facing out, if I were you. Depending on whether the top is a window, you could secure it at top, middle and bottom with the small tension curtain rods found at W-M. There would be so much moisture, the gel tape probably wouldn't stick for long. Or you could use thumbtacks if the top were made of wood.
    Keep us posted, okay? I have been thinking of putting a cold frame together.
    Sunny

• helenh
    13 years ago

When I was googling this I found someone who wets their inside windows and puts up bubble wrap. The water film makes it stick and it stays put. I tried it on my bathroom window for deer season. If someone cared to go up on the hill in the blackberries and ticks, they could see in my bathroom window. I don't worry about this happening, but I thought I'd try it. It has been up a week or so. You can't see out the window but it does work. The person who suggested it puts in the spare bedroom unused room to help save energy. Everyone except me has taken advantage of the tax break for new windows. I have some that are single pane glass still but I like to see out.