Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Do you winter sow any veggies?

christie_sw_mo
14 years ago

Christmas is over so I'm itching to start some containers of seeds.

Should I stick to just flowers and wait on veggies? Are there some cool season things that you start early? (maybe not this early)

Comments (9)

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Christie, I have never winter sown any vegetables. In fact, I only tried the method once and wasn't very successful. Haven't tried it again.

You are talking about the outside method aren't you? I have day lily seedlings under lights right now.

• jspeachyn5
    14 years ago

Christie, I started my broccoli etc in the last week of Feb according to my records. an my okra etc the 3ed week of March.
    I did not start anything in the house. All in a jug an out side an left until ready to plant out. Tomatoes were started the last week of march. The were like all ws item. Small when you set them in the ground. But they took off fast an were very sturdy. I didn't have any problem with my veggies last year. With the exception of rabbits. lol.
    Bonnie.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I have not tried veggies, but broccoli and cole crops sound like something that would suit that method.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm still not sure whether broccoli and cole crops would get an earlier start with winter sowing or later. An earlier start might help cool weather veggies not to be bitter right?
    I know very little about vegetable gardening.
    I have winter sowed (sown?) tomato seeds a couple times.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I was just thinking that with our erratic temps something frost proof might work. We often get warm weather in Feb. then back to the arctic in March.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I usually plant broccoli and coles inside in flats under lights around the last of February and they are ready to go out by mid-april. I had very good success last year with all.

I start tomatoes around April 1-10 so they won't be too big by May 15-20 to go into the garden.

Sometimes I will begin carrying them back and forth to my makeshift coldframe (bales of hay with storm window over. If the temps are going to get real cold....carry them back inside.

• ladycraft
    14 years ago

Christie, I think you can SW most veggies but wait a little later. Feb-March It seems like mother nature takes care of the right time to germinate. And if it gets really cold you can cover the containers you have planted in but if there is a lid they should stay pretty well. Key word is should. Raising them as SW helps with hardened off so they take off faster. Just my opinion. Kathy

• helenh
    14 years ago

My snow is finally melting. Yesterday I saw small lettuce leaves that were still alive. There is not enough for a salad, but it amazed me that it was still alive.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glenda - I think both of us had messages that disappeared from this. I can't remember what I posted but I know did say something. lol

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource