Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Are You Ready for the big Freeze?

gldno1
14 years ago

Or are you like we are having to rush out this morning and do some things that should have been done already!

I want to get straw on the strawberry beds...and put down a bale in the chicken house and yard...fill the nest boxes...I think we just have one hose left to do! Drain and store it.

We will be leaving the water dripping in various places anytime it gets below 10°.

Comments (8)

• ladycraft
    14 years ago

No I'm not ready. I meant to go dig a elephant ear bulb after frost got the leaves while it was warmer. I think everything else is ok. I have the hose taken care of. I have had a frozen faucet the last 2 years at $100-$125 each. I alway left them attached in KS but had a basement to keep them warm. Kathy

• ceresone
    14 years ago

Due to a leak, I have the barn faucets shut off, but will leave house ones dripping. As long as we ran the furnace, it didnt freeze under the house, but with the wood, different story, I'm afraid.
    I couldnt find the dahlia to dig.
    Chickens snug, horses have hay, and wood in the shed (seems like its going fast!)
    Friend of mine in New Mexico called yesterday, wanting me to come see her-said it was gently snowing and beautiful. She lives at 8500 feet on side of a mountain. This morning, heard they were expecting blizzard conditions, with winds 80 MPH. Nope--not for me.
    Everyone, stay safe

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Thanks for the warning. I hadn't seen that it is supposed to go down to 9 tomorrow night. I have some potted perennials that need to go in the garage but they're close to the door and ready.
    I'm glad we didn't get any freezing rain last night. I have some shopping to do and it puts a kink in the plans to have the kids home from school if we have a snow/ice day. They would enjoy it though.
    Step onto your porch carefully in the morning.

• swmogardens
    14 years ago

Hostas are nestled...
    Every December, I stack my hosta pots on their side on the north side of my house. I don't do anything with them all winter. On the first day of spring, I bring them back out.

I also bunch my smaller Japanese maple containers together and pack pine needles around them.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That looks like cord wood! Wow, you have a lot of hostas.

I put straw over a couple of pots I didn't get planted.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I guess I will go out and check on things. I am comfortable inside with a hot fire and lazy butt doing puzzles and my nintendo games. I have many bags of leaves and haven't dumped them all out. I covered the cannas the other day, but I had better make sure everything tender is covered.

• ladycraft
    14 years ago

It's here! Wind howling and light snow!

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I could hear the wind all night long. Glad we didn't get the snow my sis in Iowa has....16"!

I doubt if I get outside the house all day.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm