Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Seed shopping for Christmas

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

I haven't gotten a new seed catalog from Baker Creek yet but when I went to their website, I noticed a couple things that I wanted were back in stock. If I get these before Christmas, DH can have the kids wrap them and put them under the tree. : )

I ordered:

Orangeglow watermelon (lots of good reviews on this one)

Blacktail Mountain watermelon (an early watermelon)

Charentais melon (saw some good comments on this one too)

Sakata's Sweet (Small Asian melons with edible peel)

Genovese Basil (for pesto which I've never even tried. lol)

Piel de Sapo (Christmas melon that I hope will store well)

They're all new to me. I've grown another type of Christmas melon that was just labeled Santa Claus. They did ok when I started them early but didn't ripen enough one year when I started them with my other melons. I think I may be able to grow the Sakata's Sweet on my fence since the melons are small but our new puppy liked watermelon so I'm afraid she might eat them.

Comments (11)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

They sound luscious. I have never successfully raised a watermelon in my life! They seem to rot or something before they ever ripen...or I mow them accidentally.

You and the kids should have a lot of fun next summer growing and eating those melons.

• helenh
    15 years ago

That sounds like a good way to get what you really want for Christmas. I once got a load of cow manure for Christmas - just what I wanted.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Helen - That sounds like something I would ask for. : )

Glenda - I haven't had any trouble with rotting so far. Hope that doesn't get started. I can't grow pumpkins though. They rot for me and I've given up.

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

have raised blacktail mountain for the last 2 yrs. they are a tasty melon, early and about icebox size. we don't have a lot of space for large growing plants.
    william

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got my seeds from Baker Creek in yesterday's mail and everything was there. Glad to hear Blacktail Mountain did well for you William. I think it's one that they also raise up north since it's early but it must tolerate heat well too I guess.
    I'm planning on planting melons at the base of my mulch pile again. That has been working well and makes it easy to keep the weeds away.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I ordered most of my seeds from Pinetree this year, but I may try the Blacktail melon and want to try the Purple Sprouting Broccoli that they have.

Got the Bluestone catalog yesterday or day before. Prices have gone way up on everything....no surprise there.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got a Bluestone catalog in today's mail. I haven't had a chance to go through it yet but I'm sure there will be something in it that I want. lol

Forgot to mention that I also got Rotonda Bianca eggplant seeds from Baker Creek as my free bonus. I like eggplant but couldn't find any opinions on that one. My dad planted eggplant a couple times in our garden when I was a kid. I don't think he had very good luck growing it so I probably need to get some advice if anyone has some to share. Do I need to start it early?
    I have avoided growing eggplant and zucchini because my favorite way to eat it is breaded and fried which I really don't need. Gld - If I use olive oil, I can call it health food right. lol

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Yes, but don't bread it! This is called carbs......what I am trying to cut back on. Saute it in oo, sprinkle parmesan cheese over. Even my husband liked it.

I just found this about growing eggplants. I can't recall what I did last year and this has more info that I had then. It might be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Grow Eggplant

• helenh
    15 years ago

I tried to grow it last year; it looked like a sieve. Some bug likes it. I think a row cover or watching close and keeping the bug spray handy might be in order. I didn't take good care of it - bought the plants and stuck them in where I could find a spot.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I just had out two plants and they were a bug magnet and the leaves were full of tiny holes before I realized what was happening. I will be ready this year. I am going to try Dusky. My sis grows that one and has for years. She says it produces heavily right up to frost. My heirloom Italian ones didn't.

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

flea beetles love eggplant!
    william

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA