Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ceresone

Rest Of December,07

ceresone
16 years ago

Thought I'd do it a bit different, since so many are busy with the Holidays, and not so many posting. Me? I'm always here, posting or not.

Gldno, hope your generator wasnt needed, or worked well if it was. We were on the freeze line, again, one morning had ice on the trees, but it was gone in a few hours. Looks as if we're in the eye for the snow storm friday night and saturday tho--and I have to go to town sat. morning.

Anyone ever read John Jakes? He has the North and South books, as well as the Kent Family Chronicles.

Like I said, I'll read anything, But especially like John Sanford, Patricia Cornwell, James Patterson, David Baldacci, Iris Johanson, Stuart Woods, Nora Roberts, Dean Koontz,-and so many more on the same theme.

Guess this is a time of year to "take stock" of what you have, and what you want to add.

I have tame blackberries, elderberries, apples, pears, peaches,plums,cherries, walnuts, pecans, nectarines,

And come spring, I'm going to set out 3 more apples, 3 plums, blueberries, and red raspberries. My raspberries did well untill the blackberries crowded them out. I'd also like to have a couple hazelnuts. Then sometime during the summer, get the beds ready for strawberries, asparagus and rhubarb.

Think I've forgotten anything? Had to have laser on my eyes again last week, I didnt know anything could go wrong after cataract surgery, but it can--thought I was going blind! Seems in some people, blisters form behind the lens, and has to be taken care of.Also, the hand surgery that I had done first has infection--after all this time!!

Hope everyone has hay that needs it--I paid 6.75 for grass hay this week, only bought what my Jeep would haul at that price!

Awww, William, you must've seen the post on my Rattlesnake!Offical MSHP9.

Do be careful in this weather, Everyone--and dont get to busy to post!! I live my life vicarious!! LOL

Comments (29)

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Hi Ceresome. Laser surgery following cataract removal is a common need. I had my left eye done a couple of weeks ago. The right eye was done last year. It is 'normal' for the implants to develop a film over them. According to my eye doc it is a one time thing.
    Sorry about your hand surgery! My DH had that type of surgery several years ago. He is having some recurrance of the problem...but that too is normal.
    I am making no plans for next year's gardening. Unless I get considerably perkier I will be doing no new gardening, just attempting to maintain what I have.
    I hope my lapse in new gardening will not disqualify me from the garden forums. :-(

We got neither ice nor snow here, but it is in the weekend forecast! My Rhododendron has attempted to bloom this December. The first cluster was frozen before completely opening. Another cluster still looks good, but will not make it due to the colder weather coming in. I suppose that means no blooms next year.

Hi to all that I haven't spoken to for some time. I wish 'we' could have threads that are as chatty as on the Off Topic side of the Perennials Forum. I really enjoy the every day news on the Idyll's threads.

Marian

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

ceresone- think it was copperheads and not rattlesnakes. do you have a toters license?

have you really finalized your tomato list?

have started on a planter box for christmas for my MIL. all cedar and everything is being doweled, no screws. also the bean/ cucumber trellis out of 3 cattle panels thanks to gldno1. a lot of cedar here. been to the lumber yard 3 times and back tomorrow.

more raised beds for haybale plantings this spring.

i really like brewing alfalfa tea with molasses. going to do a lot of this at planting time. wish i could do fish tea out of sardines but am afraid of the odors.

then there is grafting tomatoes. look forward to doing this.

will be starting pepper seeds the first of jan. and tomatoes around feb the 15th.

hope all this works out.

william- who is somtimes vicarious!

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Hello everyone.

Ceresone. I have a small orchard list I want to do next spring. Another peach, maybe another apple or two. I have one sour cherry, 3 apples, 3 pears, 3 grapes, 6 blueberries, strawberries, and a few raspberries. The latter didn't take too well last year, probably didn't water them enough. Now we have to get a trellis put up for the grapes. They went crazy last year. The strawberries are a little spotty. It was their first season.

I have plans to create a lasagna bed where the tomatoes are to go next year. I already semi-killed the grass now just need to start layering; no tilling planned.

Typing is difficult. I cut my finger yesterday while sealing some plastic around a broken window in the milk parlor; didn't see the piece of glass lurking under the duck tape! Had to get 5 stitches and the bandage looks to be inflated; sticks out like a sausage.

Marian, please keep posting over here (too). I think as long as we keep gardening in any form or amount involved we can do a journal type thing. I enjoy hearing the little day-to-day things too.

Have plans to cover the open end of the chicken yard which is under roof with the old greenhouse plastic this morning so the snow won't cover the floor. DH will have to grudgingly help.

Not looking forward to our prediction of 10" of snow!

ceresone, love all Baldacci's books. Did you know he has a new one out? Have read Patterson and Jakes. Just finished Hillerman's Shape Shifter so now we can add another mystery writer to our list. I have a Stuart Woods to start next.
    May hold off a couple of days so I don't burn myself out.

• ceresone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Better hold off, Gldno, or else run back to the library! I think I'm about out of reading too, and theres a snow storm coming!!
    I hope it holds off some till noon tomorrow, I have to go to town to pick up a order.William, you do know you have the first steps for a hoop house, dont you? Just cover it up with plastic. I'm wanting to take a bed or two, and make a PVC frame over it--two, to be clear, one over the other a few inches (I did say clear, didnt I?) I'll put rebar inside my blocKs in the bed, and slip the plastic pipe frame over them. Reason I want two layers is because I read I can raise up to 3 zones under it. (temp wise)
    I'm thinking of ordering my trees from Gurneys this year--they could never rip me off as bad as Starks did, and they still have a lifetime guarentee.
    William (LOL and it was a rattlesnake, and yes I have a CCW) I think I have my tomatoes figured out. The Ananas Noire will be at the top of eating, and Opalaka the top for paste.
    Yes, keep posting, Marian, and I'll try to help keep it going.
    Take Care, All

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Thanks for your encouragement.
    Here is a picture of our noon visitor today:

{{gwi:190685}}

I am not happy about it's bravery in broad daylight. Thank goodness our cats are still okay. It has made two tours of our yard already this noon!

Here is our early morning scene;

{{gwi:190684}}

No shortage of wildlife here !

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Yesterday was a busy day for us. It took all morning, but we did get the chicken house
    yard enclosed with the old plastic from the greenhouse so if the snow does fly, they should
    be well protected. Needless to say, by now you all know the snow didnÂt come! It is now
    snowing or sleeting a very fine stuff at 30° so it is sticking.

After cleaning up from the chicken house endeavor (have you noticed these little 30
    minute jobs usually take half a day) we went to our vetÂs open house for his new clinic.
    Lots of delicious food. We had our first Red Velvet Cake and thought it was delicious. I
    think I will try one for Christmas.

Then we picked up some salt blocks at MFA and headed home.

So far today, have been baking bread which is an all-day thing since my recipe calls for
    three risings. I think it is worth it.

ceresone, I guess now I will be safe to start my last book. One of our libraries is just 5
    miles from the farm.

• ceresone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sunday morning, the 16th.
    Rained yesterday, temps right at 31 degrees, freezing slightly here and there on trees. "bout noon, it settled into freezing on the east side, by 3:30 afternoon, it was snowing, snowed till about midnight. guess we had a mini- Nor'easterner, cause despite ice covering everything, the east sides are heaviest, and the snow is heavy on that side of the trees. Now, I've said all that to just tell you we only have a inch or two of ice, and about 2-3 of snow, suns out bright now.
    Busy week ahead, its the week to get hay/feed, groceries, and I need to have surgery on my finger.plus go to the chiropractor(?).
    And--I'm going to try to get my tree order in this week. I need to get started on the blueberry plot too, understand it takes a lot of work.
    Be safe.

• oakleif
    16 years ago

Am back online at least for today. I get bigtime depressed when i can't get online. Guess i'm addicted. Tho really this is my lifeline. I'm 30 miles away from anywhere and get pretty lonely in the winter. Got a bad cold and could'nt go to ring bell for Salvation Army and have been stuck up here this week.
    Glad to see you back Marian. I can't garden at all anymore except in pots. I have Congestive Heart Failure and it's starting to get pretty bad. I'll be here till i can't type anymore. I hope i can contribute some littlebit of something from time to time.

I read a small newspaper from Fairbanks, Alaska and they have in their area a pack of wolves that have taken to eating dogs. Have been having a time with them and have started walking their kids to the schoolbus stop to protect them. The same thing happened some years ago and some of the wolves were finally killed and the others left.

I have three pear trees, some tame white muscadines and loads of wild blackberries. The muscadines should be pruned in Feb.

Am going to make some beef vegetable soup in the slow cooker tonight.gld you talked me into making bread too. I'm lazy tho i'll make refrigerator rolls.

Last time i was at the library i found a new book by Robin Cook another favorite author.

I do injoy these off topic posts too. I think if we want an off topic page,GW will set it up for us.

Have a great day,
    vickie

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

saw my first coyote 2 days ago. those critters really get around.

ceresone- have you ever tried san marzano redorta for a paste?

william

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Good Monday morning.

Oakleif, thanks for the author. I keep a running list so when I go to the library I have something to start with. I have started the last book I have.

We just got about 1 inch of snow from the last little front and a lot of it melted off yesterday.

I started wrapping Christmas gifts yesterday and should finish up today, but will have to pick up some tape first and see if the Post Office still has Christmas stamps.

DH regularly sees coyotes and turkeys when he checks the cattle and a few days ago we saw one crossing the field just outside the living room. The cows never even lifted their heads at his passing. I am sure we are still overrun with possums and raccoons since I see their "calling cards" here and there. We trapped six or so a couple of years ago.

Have a good day.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Our weather Saturday and Saturday night was pretty much like Ceresome's only much lighter. It was still enough that I opted to not to try to go out Sunday morning. One reason is because we have no shelter for our car, and I wasn't up to going out in the cold to attempt to remove the ice and snow on it. ( I damaged the door latche on my previous car trying to get it open when it was iced over. ) The roads were okay, and by evening the car had melted off...so we went to our evening worship service.

The coyote(s) continue to hang around. Much too close for comfort. I worry every time our house cats go out, but they hate doing their 'job' in the litterboxes. ( One finally did Saturday night.)Thank goodness they have never made a puddle or mess in the house. ( They do barf now and then...) :-(

Vickie, I am so sorry about the congestive heart failure. My dear friend, that I called my adopted mother, had that. She still took long tours to places overseas, and lived to be 97.
    We are in a rather remote area too, and I sure know what you mean about the computer. I sort of panic when mine is unavailable.
    That is terrible about the wolves in Fairbanks. How scary! And to think...'they' are trying to introduce wolves in our area. I have heard conflicting reports on whether they are already here or not.

Glenda, it's good that you got your chickenhouse wrapped. I wish we had the plastic put on our bedroom windows, but neither of us are up to doing that anymore. We will just have to tough it out. Hopefully it will be a mild winter. Since we heat with a wood stove it won't up our power bill too much. We have electric heaters in the bathrooms and utility room, and sometimes run one in the kitchen early in the day.
    We have wild turkeys here too, but seldom see them. They are heard more often than seen.

Lots of soup being made these days...:-). I made a large pot of pinto bean soup yesterday. I used the leftovers from a large pot of beans and ham, and added hamburger,onions,celery,green peppers,tomatoes and various seasonings.

I may be wrong, but unless someone complains...I don't think IVillage cares if we get off topic on this forum. The main no-no is controversial subjects that cause arguments.

Marian

• peaceofmind
    16 years ago

I admire you guys who are such constant gardeners. I need a break in the winter. I like hearing about your plans and what you are doing. I was in my shed looking for pots for my amyrillis that I'm just bringing out of dormancy and I discovered a bag of nice big daffodil bulbs that didn't get planted. I'll try to get them planted soon.

Vickie, I'm grateful for my computer, too. I'm able to keep in touch with my brother and sister and their kids who are scattered all around. We'd barely know each other otherwise. None of us are ones who chat by phone. My kids and grandkids and I do that, of course.

I had to make a rush trip to the doctor this morning. My blood pressure had been high for several days and when I took it this morning it was 170/100. The doctor prescribed yet another medication to add to the three I'm already taking. I'm going to have to get serious about diet and exercise. I'm very undisciplined in that regard. And in all other regards for that matter. :-(

Christmas starts for us on saturday when family starts arriving for the holiday. It should be an extra exciting time as the rumor is that my son and his girlfriend, who we all love, are getting engaged!

Anise

• oakleif
    16 years ago

It's warm and cloudy here with a stiff breeze. The temps are going to drop tomorrow. It was -39 F in Fairbanks the other day. When the temps drop like that in Alaska we can get an artic front in a few weeks. Hopefully kill some bugs.
    Anise, everyones bloodpressure tends to rise during the Christmas holidays,rich food,hurried preparations,excitement etc.... So becareful, stop to take a deep breath every now and than and enjoy.

Marian, my next soup is going to be pinto bean soup,thanks for the receipe.

My soup was simple. I brown hamburger,onion and (opt) celery. add to slow cooker with water overnite. Than add 2 cans veg-all mixed vegetables,one sm can tomato sauce for an hour than remove and serve. I've been known to add all kinds of leftovers.
    I want to bake a fresh apple pie and a bought mincemet pie filling pie tonight. I was watching a christmas tradition special on the history channel the other night and learned the mincemeat pie use to be called the Christmas pie untill Christmas fell out of favor for awhile and the name of the pie was changed.

Glenda, Gee that was some cut on your finger must have been deep too. 5 stitches on a finger!!! How's it doing?

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Now that Winter has officially arrived, a pot of soup on the stove is a necessity!
    We make our own, using old family recipes, new ones, pass-along ones or sometimes pot luck, whatever is available. Some turn out fine, others-won't try that again!
    Favorites are beef & barley, vegetable-beef, homemade chicken noodle, with egg noodles. ham & bean(Pinto, GN, Navy, Red, Black, Anasazi) or just plain vegetable soup.
    I sometimes make a Cajun style soup, using a 6 or 7 dried bean mix, chopped onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, thinly sliced potatoes, tomato sauce and smoked sausage.A couple of bay leaves added, for flavor. Would have a better taste, I'm sure, if I could find authentic andouille sausage here, but the only type available is made with chicken, instead of pork and isn't smoked. Very expensive also, for faux andouille! So, I use Polish or kielbasa sausage, which contains some beef and no hot peppers. Am able to find Cajun spice mix though, which is added VERY carefully, in small increments!
    Stay warm! :Rb

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Anise, you take care of yourself. The Holidays are stressful for everyone with all the added cooking and company. I usually just collapse when it is over. I may really be tired this year. Our son is leaving his three down for a week beginning New Year's! We will have a good time, but my quiet reading time will probably not happen.

vicki, I haven't eaten mincemeat pie since Mom died. She and Dad loved it. I never used to like it, but would like to try it again. I love raisin pie so you would think I would like the mince too. I will give it a try when my sis from Iowa comes down next; I know she likes it. We will have to make something different for the guys though.

The finger is doing well, but very tender. The stitches are supposed to come out tomorrow, but don't know if that will work because of the holidays.....I think I will call today.

All the soup sounds good. My last split pea soup didn't impress DH. Guess I won't do that one again.

Weather is nice this morning at 50°, but this is supposed to change today, at least no heavy snow is predicted.

Ceresone, hope you are doing well. I am assuming you are absent because of the medical issues...

Christie and Melanie, I have been having some difficulties with my Total Wireless that is not fully resolved yet. How are you all doing?
    Happy Holidays to everyone.

• bigred
    16 years ago

Hi Gang!
    I'm back(oh no...not her again....LOL)Had some computer problems and such a hard time getting into GW when this lousy dial-up.

We still haven't had much of a winter yet. Still have veggies in the garden. Pulled up the last of the radishes and gave them to a neighbor. After a while,the family gets tired of things and won't eat any more.Turnip greens were riddled by bugs but I pulled a bunch of turnips. Had second round last night w/ pinto beans and meatloaf.No cornbread,the meal had weevils...ICK! Still enough turnips for another meal and probably just as well since family will prbably be tired of them by the 3rd go-round.Still plenty in the ground.

I need to pull the last of the lettuce and other salad greens so I can move the polytunnels over the cabbages and collards( will harvest the first collards for Christnmas dinner).Carrots aren't big enough to harvest so I'll have to mulch them as soon as we get some real winter.I transplanted strawberries last May and garlic back in early Oct. Both are looking good. Strawberries really took of so I hope for a good crop next year. Have one no-named var. from WalMart,another var. from Jung and last ones I grew from seed(Fresca?..or something like that) but don't ask me to remember varieties off the top of my head.

Hope weather holds until after Christmas so I can get a couple more places tilled and covered w/ black plastic to keep the chickweed,lamium and other weeds from coming up so it'll be ready for planting next year as soon as possible.

PP

• ceresone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Morning!!
    Doggone it, William, You've gone and done it!!LOL
    I just HAD to look up the San Marzano Redorta, and I found it on a "new to me" seed spot. It really sounds good, I'll eliminate one other, and include it--but then--there's one called "Long Tom" a paste tomato that grows to 9". solid and meaty, it says. Gary Ibsens Tomato Fest. (wasnt his family on "Beverly Hillbillies?)
    Yes, I've really had problems with my back, if you've ever had muscle spasms, then you know what I mean. Trying to get it straightened out before garden time!
    Wanted to get my trees ordered before CHRISTmas, but too much too do, and too little money--but they will get out by spring.
    Although I sometimes feel the more you do to improve your property, the closer they look for taxes.
    Well, its supposed to start rain/snow mix anytime, think I'll put some firewood in the garage. Two of my children and families on the road today, May GOD protect them, and every family out there.
    Stay Safe

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

ceresone- you are a sucker for a tomato. i have seeds. if you want some let me know. there is no way i can ever plant as many different varieties as i have. no way. what about violaceum krypni-rozo?

william- merry christmas to all and you dont have to press one for english!

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

How long were you without a computer Bigred? It HAS been a long time since you posted here. You may need to introduce yourself again. lol Glad you're back.

I haven't been posting much lately. We've been busy remodeling because of our fire way back in August (this takes forever) and of course getting ready for Christmas (I'm not ready). I'm sure things will slow down a little after the holidays and I can start dog-earing my plant and seed catalogs again and visiting with my garden buddies. I have had time to at least read the posts here and think of you all and everything that's going on in your lives. I'm sure God doesn't mind if I include my cyber-neighbors in my prayers.

Marian - Loved the photos. We have 10 acres but are a little too close to town I guess or maybe just have a lot of hunters in the area. Seeing wildlife is still a treat for me. I saw a gray fox a couple weeks ago and was almost sure I saw a very young red fox run into the weeds not far from our house over the summer.

Has anyone else been seeing fewer rabbits? I wonder if the ice storm reduced the numbers a little.

• ceresone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, tomorrow is Christmas Day, it will certainly be different than it used to be--we'd scramble around after midnight, trying to get everything assembeled, and under the tree before the four, and a poodle, came running in. I think really, that I slept less than they did, as Christmas always held a kind of magic for me, from the time I was 6 and started putting up a tree. Somewhere, over the last couple of years, it lost the magic, seems its a commercial world now, with everyone forgetting we're celebrating the birth of the Christ Child.
    William, not another variety?? going to hide my head, and not look it up, the one you suggested, plus the other one I found with it, is enough--LOL
    Still wondering how well the beds I put the whole leaves on, is going to work in the spring.
    Well, Merry Christmas to all my friends here, hope you enjoy family, and dont eat too much.
    And, Barbara, in case you read this, where ever you are, I wish you and yours the same.When I think of you (and I often do)I think of your favorite saying--"be careful what you wish for, you might get it". Has it made you happy?

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Well, one set of kids just left and we have 4 days to rest up before the other one gets here.

The day was pretty and I was able to get out on the 4-wheeler and take our gd for a nice ride.

Still haven't taken the stitches out of my finger....they were closed too early today and yesterday (the 10th day) we had our dinner here. I think I will go in tomorrow (Christmas Day) because they are open and maybe won't be all that busy.

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas Day.

PS. Just got three more seed catalogs today: Jungs, Shumway, and White Flower Farm.

• cherig22
    16 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!

Haven't posted here in a long while, and I recognize a few names from the Tomato Forum.

We finally bought our homestead in Sept. of this year, near Stockton Lake. All pasture, with a previously tilled garden site. Been empty for a few years til we moved in, got LOTS to do!

It's an old farmhouse built in 1882, with some addons, a pole barn, stable, corral, chicken coop and run, and an orchard (two huge old apples) and some small fruit trees that we have added to. Hubby is retired Navy, and I have talked him into quitting work next year to get this place going as a small farm......really had to twist his arm on that one, lol!

Moved here from NE Fla. in July of last year, and have not regretted it for one minute.

Visited Baker Creek seeds, and cannot wait to get my garden up to snuff like the one I had in Fla. Oh yeah, anyone else got rocks? ROFL, they seem to grow by themselves here! At least the garden has been tilled, just lain fallow for a few years.

Oh yeah, learned the name of some grass here, "Damned Johnson Grass". Man alive, that is some tough stuff! Thank goodness only a few small stands of the stuff.

I have a large sunroom, which will be my seed starting spot, so get ready for a plant swap this spring!

I am so excited to be in my Forever Home, and looking forward to making new friends. Look forward to many questions from me in the future! :)

Cheri

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Welcome to the Ozarks Cheri. That is a beautiful area you have chosen.

We have DJG too. Don't try to dig it up; every tiny little piece left will just multiply. Herbicide is the easiest way to go.

I would love to see your farmhouse. We wanted to find something similar, but since DH was still working in Springfield we had to stay pretty close to town and didn't find anything like that with land. Please post pics if you can.

Spring will be lots of fun for you.

• cherig22
    16 years ago

Heck, gldno1, I work in north Springfield! It is a drive, I tell ya, but it is so pretty even in winter. I have hills! lol

I cannot wait to grow out a lot of my tomatoes, used to have so many but three years of no growing will take it's toll on germination. I also missed the last two years of Tomatopalooza, but not next year. It will be the first year that I may actually get to take maters to one. Season was always gone by when the event rolled around at the end of July.

Cheri

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Welcome Cheri - We used to go to Stockton to swim when I was a kid - the only sand beach I had ever seen until I was grown. It is a nice area. Glad to hear you're enjoying your new home.

• ceresone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I guess we can't complain much about the weather, or neighbors to the north and west have had it so bad. We've had a snow/slush mix for several days, only accumlation is on the deck, and windbreaks in the pasture.
    Horses decided they needed a different pasture, so the onery one just pushed her bulk against the gate till it gave way.Only benefit is, they dont want hay now. On another forum , a poster in N.Y said she was still paying 1.00 per square bale.
    Did you get your stitches out, Gldno?
    Did everyone have a nice Christmas?
    Its so nice to see new posters, and former ones coming back, missed you even if I dont know you personally, keep posting. Do you like a journal type entry?
    William, I'm in trouble!! The site I mentioned Gary Ibsens Tomato Fest, wants a 15.00 order!! Do you know how many tomato seeds that would be?? And I SIMPLY MUST have San Marzeno Redorta, and Long Tom, so guess I'll be adding to storage seeds. And then!!LOL--did you see Tangerine Mama in Burpees? Yes, my name is-------- and I'm addicted to growing, tomatoes especially.
    And, Hope springs eternal, I'm going to try yellow, purple, and green cauliflower again--just not so much.
    I cut my garden down some last year, told myself that at my age, I didnt need so much--but myself dont listen to me in the spring!!
    I find myself admiring how well the beds are looking, with the leaves mounded over them.
    Gldno, I read another Catherine Coulter book yesterday, F.B.I series, the sheriff finally found his wife (from a previous book) It was "Double Take". I've also read James Patterson's "Quickie" and Sandra Browns "Play Dirty"
    With all this mixture falling from the sky, its either gaze wistfully out the window at the garden, or curl up by the fire with a good book--or a seed catalog. Got territoral yesterday, Havent gotten Baker Creek, despite complaining, so guess they wont get a order.
    Oh, and I must tell you about my Christmas Turkey!! It was PURPLE!! I was ready to put it in the oven when I noticed under the skin, the entire bird was purple! It didnt have a off smell, just like a raw turkey, so I apprehensively went ahead and cooked it. When it came out, it did have a off odor, so it was buried deep. No, really, I didnt cook Barney, as some suggested. Good thing we were going to daughters for dinner.
    Everyone stay safe for the New Yesr.

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

ceresone- i have you covered on san marzano redorta. not to fear. long tom, can't help you on. pm me with your address.

william

• mulberryknob
    16 years ago

Cheri, Hope you don't have that other pest grass, Damned Bermuda Grass. Don't try to dig it out either--or smother it with weedmatting--it will poke through. Use the Roundup or Bermuda killer spray on it until it is goodndead.

Concerning soup, you simply have to have a pan of cornbread to go with it. I learned how to make the best cornbread in the world from my grandfather who took over the cooking when my grandmother went blind. He tried the prepared mixes from the grocery store and said the people who put them together got confused and thought they were making cake. Grampa didn't like sweet cornbread. His recipe was simplicity itself. Before he started mixing, he popped a cast iron skillet with a half cube of butter in it into the oven and turned it to 350. Then he mixed two cups of buttermilk, two large eggs, two cups (scant) of cornmeal, 1 tsp soda, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt in a bowl and mixed it up good. Then he rotated the skillet to coat the sides with the melted butter, poured the butter into the batter and stirred it in and baked the bread. The top and bottom of the bread browned and the center was wonderfully soft and absolutely delicious. I have made my cornbread this way for almost 40 years. When I spring for organically grown, stoneground meal it is even better. Try it and let me know how you like it. Dorothy

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Are any of you going to stay up and see the New Year in ??? I will probably crash long before that happens ! I have good intentions...but just get too sleepy.
    I am looking forward to watching the Rose Bowl Parade tomorrow.
    It is very windy here, but still not too cold. Our wood stove is keeping the house toasty warm. :-)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting