Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessaka

blood root

jessaka
14 years ago

does anyone know where i can buy a blood root plant to grow? thanks.

Comments (12)

• gldno1
    14 years ago

This one is located on Missouri's Grow Native website. I have never bought from them so can't vouch for them, but they do have lots of natives.

It is listed under sanguinaria canadensis

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloodroot

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

The Missouri Wildflowers Nursery located in Jefferson City has it listed on their website but it says they're out. Maybe they'll have it again in spring.

If you don't like to mail order, that nursery and a couple others will be selling native plants at the Native Plant Symposium that they have every spring at the Nature Center in Springfield. It's around the first of April every year. I've bought perennials there for $2.50 each in the past but I don't recall if they had Bloodroot at the sale. It's just a one day thing with lots of people crowding around to buy plants. They have seminars too.

Here is a link that might be useful: MO Wildflowers Nursery

• jessaka
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks. i will check them all out. just that by the time i think of ordering in the spring things are always gone.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Jessaka - You're in Oklahoma aren't you. I had forgotten when I posted about the yearly sale at the Nature Center here. That would be a long drive for you.

There is an Oklahoma Native Plant Society. Their website has a link for "sources" on the left. Maybe one of those will be close to you or they may travel around a bit for sales. Some of them may list the sales/farmer's markets that they plan to go to. I wouldn't hesitate to call them and ask them to bring a specific plant to a sale. I think they would be glad to do that.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Here's a link for the Oklahoma Native Plant Society and a list of Oklahoma sources copied from their website:

OKLAHOMA SOURCES:
    Clear Creek Farm and Gardens: Loretta and Kirk Bowers, P.O. Box 89, Peggs, OK 74452; (918) 598-3782.
    Johnston Seed Company: 319 West Chestnut, Enid, OK; johnseed&johnstonseed.com or
    1-800-375-4613. They provide custom mixes.
    Oklahoma Wildflowers: 207 Mulberry, Okeene, OK 73763; wildflower@okeene.com or (580) 822-3655.
    Sanctuary Gardens, Inc.: Victoria Gonzales, Blanchard, OK; Specializing in water plants: (405) 485-9557.
    StoneBridge Garden Center: Martin Stone, 700 E. Will Rogers Blvd., Claremore, OK 74017;
    stonbrdg@busprod.com or (918) 341-1228.
    Sunshine Nursery & Arboretum: Steve and Sherry Bieberich, Rt. 1, Box 4030, Clinton, OK 73601;
    (4050) 323 6509 or gardening@sunshinenursery.com.
    Wild Things Nursery: Marilyn and Ken Stewart, 114 Quail Run, Seminole, 74868. They do not sell directly
    out of their nursery but attend many herb shows and markets including NormanÂs.
    Contact at wtnursery@yahoo.com or 405-382-8540 for information or plant listing.

For landscaping using natives:
    Rose Rock Landscape & Design: Wayne and Susan Chambers, 238 East Robin Road, Midwest City, OK 73130. (405) 769-7917.

Wish I had bloodroot to offer to send you. I have one plant that's been in the ground for three or four years and it doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. I was hoping it would spread or reseed or something. I tried to grow it from seed once with no luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma Native Plant Society

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

Jessaka, aren't you in Tahlequah? I'm close enough that if you want to come here in the spring and dig a couple of my seedlings, you are welcome. They self seed prolifically. I could also send you viable seed in midsummer if coming isn't convenient.

email me if interested.

• jessaka
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for all the information. i will check it all out. and mulberry, thanks, i just emailed you.

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

Jessaka, I tried emailing you back at both addresses I saw and got failure notices with both.

I live 10 miles west of Stilwell, 18 miles east of Tahlequah. If coming to dig isn't an option, I could mail you some seed midsummer. Don't know why Christie doesn't get selfseeding unless you need more than one plant to get pollination. I have several and get lots of babies. Let me know if you would like me to send seed.

• jessaka
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sounds great. you do live near me. i wonder too if my email address is old. will try to find out. great that you live close.

• jessaka
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mulberry, i updated everything. i can drive to stilwell easily.

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

Great, I will mark the calendar for March to post when they break the ground and we can see them. I also have some lily of the valley that have moved into a pathway if you are interested. They come up about the same time.

• jessaka
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks. did you try to email me yet?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH