Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best casaba melon for Ozarks?

Posted by farm_boy 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 9:16

Hi

I've heard these melons taste good. Any suggestions as to which variety is easiest to grow? I know where I can buy Bidwell and Golden Beauty seeds. Or, is there another sweet melon that does better in the Ozarks?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best casaba melon for Ozarks?

I haven't grown either of those so I can't say but I did notice that Golden Beauty takes longer to mature so I wonder if it would have time to finish before the weather starts cooling off. What I came across online said 90-95 days for Bidwell and 100-110 days for Golden Beauty.

I've tried growing a few unusual melons but mostly from seeds I saved from store bought melons which might not be as dependable as seeds you would order. I've tried Santa Clause and Juan Canary melons and they did ok but didn't produce much. I'm sure Santa Clause had a long season and most didn't get to finish before cool weather.
I've grew Sakata Sweet one year which is an apple sized melon with an edible peel. They're very tasty and they did well for me but their small size made them easy for something to steal, maybe a racoon or groundhog. I grew them on my chainlink fence and they produced well. I may try those again someday with chicken wire or something around them to keep them safe.

I grew one called Charentais that gets good reviews but mine didn't produce well and the few I got didn't have much flavor. I don't know if our climate is to blame or just my lack or know-how.

If you like watermelons, Orangeglow and 'Moon and Stars' are good ones to try if you want something a little different from the grocery store variety.

It's a shame a person can't get decent watermelons and melons year round. That sounds really good right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here