Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ceresone

remember when?

ceresone
11 years ago

remember when this was a lively site? before the adds that take over the page? we used to have a nice group of friends on here--and made more every day--now all thats left is throwing the dirt over it! think if we did--it would grow again? I, for one, miss everyone

Comments (35)

• Violet_Z6
    11 years ago

As technology evolves, so does our tools for communication. I think most users have migrated to Facebook to see what's happening with their grandchildren, visit with long lost friends, and discover information they can't find anywhere else.

There are some good, communicative garden communities which represent the region if you're willing to check them out:

https://www.facebook.com/MasterGardenersOfGreeneCounty
    https://www.facebook.com/friendsofthegarden
    https://www.facebook.com/springfieldorganicgardeningclub
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Springfield-Area-Herb-Society
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/322530688214

• helenh
    11 years ago

Facebook scares me. If I had children and they were on it, I might participate to keep in touch. If someone wanted to collect all sorts on information on anyone Facebook would be a way to do it. Privacy is important to me so Facebook is out.

• Violet_Z6
    11 years ago

If privacy is important, then log on with an alias and experiment. Check all your privacy settings diligently, it's actually "better" now more than it ever has been. Don't post anything overly personal that you're not comfortable with. You may discover that you'd wish you'd tried it a long time ago. Don't be afraid to try.

• helenh
    11 years ago

I have tried and was shocked by its threat to privacy. I think lots of people will eventually regret information about them on Facebook. I think it is a shame that people are forced to be on Facebook to participate or be informed.

• Violet_Z6
    11 years ago

helenh, use a pen name.

• mulberryknob
    11 years ago

Come over to the Oklahoma forum. We have people who post from Arkansas, Kansas, New Mexico and even Virginia.

• helenh
    11 years ago

I was going to say that but I still hope this forum keeps going. OK is a very nice forum. The people who are in the know are not a bit snooty and are not convinced their way is the only way. I think our friends in Arkansas are being hit by the drought. Gardening has been discouraging for the last two years. It would be nice if this forum were active though because we have the same weather and shop in the same area. I got a gift certificate to Wickman's and another for Ozark Nursery for my birthday and want you all to inform me of sales. Mostly I feel like I know the people on this forum and I am interested in what they are doing.

• aiwen
    11 years ago

The ads are discouraging and the summer droughts have been disastrous and I do facebook, but I've returned to gw. I was away for about 7 years...just got busy with other things. Moved once, just to a different place within 5 miles of the old place. I became a Master Gardener in 08. I got married in 06. So, lots of changes. Also, I know the pictures are huge these days, but it's difficult for me to figure out how to downsize them to fit in the limits of posting here. Anyway, I'll be checking in from time to time.

• helenh
    11 years ago

Are you the Ann from Ark. who gave me the pink Asian lilies that bloom here every year? You can put your pictures on Photobucket and pick a size. My pictures may cause people trouble. I just really like pictures and hope they don't annoy people. I would like to see your pictures and I'm EXPECTING pictures from Christie. I want to see Ceresone's sheet destroyer and Glenda's new pup. You guys who go to Wickman's take some pictures of concrete cats for me.

• aiwen
    11 years ago

No, Helen, it wasn't me...I haven't given out any Asiatic lilies. I'd like to see a pic of yours though. My old name was chanceygardener but I forgot my p/w, so I just started over. Back then, I was just getting started in a new yard, so I didn't have much to share. Our yard is finally mostly in place and the things that need dividing usually go to the garden club sales and/or the daylily club sales in spring.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

I don't have a lot of trouble with ads but I may have some of them turned off - not sure. I think Violet is right that a lot of people have migrated to Facebook.
    I've sworn off both Facebook and blogs because I know it would take too much of my time. Gardenweb is the only website I frequent except for checking my email. And my house is still messy. lol

• Violet_Z6
    11 years ago

helenh,

If you like community, which is why many long timers frequent this forum... and you create your own Facebook page, you may come to understand why so many people have migrated to it over time. It's a love hate relationship for sure, but your friends come to you and you can find timely information there that is difficult to find anywhere else. A friend told me he missed out on a 20 year reunion invite because the invitation was made only via Facebook. Silly I know but it is simply another form of communication. If you're worried about privacy, create a secondary email account to use to sign up, then don't post any personal information. Problem solved. Most of the information is optional and anything you do post can be made private or customized to your liking on how public you wish it to be whether it be to yourself, one person or the public.

• ceresone
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Helen, I have a FB page, its set to privacy, and it has mostly family--but I have one dear friend from here on also. I havent had any problems, but then I dont post anything too private. I think you would like it--I have pictures of the back deck, and the garden beds my son built me- on the deck--plus pictures of the dogs I had dumped om me.

• ceresone
    Original Author
    11 years ago

just thought, FB also has a Ozark Gardeners Page.

• aiwen
    11 years ago

Someone could make an ozark garden page on fb!

• ceresone
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So--ann, do you know how? I dont-but there is a garden page

• gldno1
    11 years ago

I miss all the activity here too but I am also guilty of not visiting as often because of blogging and there is a farm forum I have been a member of since I started using a computer.

I have a Facebook page but it is just so I can visit family members....and there is a certain Ozark Gardenweb member I check on regularly. I get absolutely lost trying to navigate Facebook. I do think I will check out the garden sites Violet mentioned.

What I don't like is how Facebook can be accessed by other sites and all of a sudden places I have visited show up as 'likes' or some other nonsense. Be wary of sites that ask you to sign in using your Facebook I.D. if you don't want that to happen!

• aiwen
    11 years ago

I tried to set up a "Ozarks Region Gardening" page on FB, but it said that I had to list some friends to get it started. I realized that I don't know any of your names. And, I understand the privacy issue. I wouldn't mind sharing with the regular posters here, but you just don't know who's lurking about, reading and never commenting.

• helenh
    11 years ago

Glenda that is why I am so against Facebook. I check Rotten Tomatoes movie reviews at my house. It knew what movies I had been looking up at my house when I got here in Joplin. The movie happened to be Girl with the Dragon Tatoo. After I found out about the movie, I didn't rent it and would have been embarassed if others thought I liked that type of movie.

Also my cousin in Al wanted to be my friend the week after I accidentally signed up for Facebook. I had to e-mail and say I didn't want to be his friend. I only have one friend and that is my friend in Joplin. How did my cousin know I was on Facebook?

We discuss a limited topic here but we don't discuss politics, religion or put our pictures on here except for birds, pets and landscape. Facebook knows everything. Somehow Gardenweb knows things too though because Easy Spirit shoes and windchimes ads show up I know targeted for me.

• ceresone
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Helen, thats about the same subjects we decline to discuss on my FB page too. Its easy to block anyone who tries to discuss subjects you feel are crossing the line. I did post a picture after my Husbands death, taken back in 1966. Mostly to remind my greatgrandchildren that we were once young.
    You also have a decline button to refuse anyone you dont want as friends, you can also block anyone who tries to find you in a search. I, for myself, do not post anything that I would mind anyone reading.
    Not trying to convince you to try FB, just that I like it myself-and I'm 75 years old.

• sunnyside1
    11 years ago

I like Facebook. It's one way of keeping in touch with people I know and enjoy. There's nothing on it that couldn't be published in a newspaper, though, and that goes for any of my friends! My "friends" post Likes and Shares and they are interesting. So it works for me, getting me "out of town" and considering new ideas that others thought of value. I just don't have any personal info on my home page, however.
    I'm also enjoying Pinterest --
    Sunny

• helenh
    11 years ago

If I had children I would probably be on Facebook.

• gldno1
    11 years ago

Helen, they find all the stuff we do on the computer using the 'cookies' that keep track of all that stuff. It is sort of scary. Normally, I don't care.

Yesterday I had an issue that I think originated from Facebook. Someone hacked my emails and sent links selling stuff to many of my contacts. I hope if any of you got one, you immediately deleted it. You should never open anything you are not familiar with or if it has been sent to dozens of people. I hope I have it resolved. Time will tell.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

I got one of those Glenda. lol That's ok.
    Our computer thinks we live in Nixa. It picks the Nixa Walmart location if I go to Walmart.com. I keep having to change it but I accidentally had something sent there for store pick-up and had to go to Nixa to get it. My other option was to reorder it but there wasn't enough time before Christmas.
    Helen - Nobody's going to talk me into Facebook so I'll still be here to talk to. : )

• ceresone
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got one too, Glenda, but I didnt think you would send me a link, so I deleted it. When my kids were with the SHP, someone did the same on their e mails.
    I wouldnt try to talk someone into doing anything they were against, just stating that I enjoy FB. Like I told my neighbor, when she first got her computer, the internet is as good or as bad as you allow it.Kinda like guns, mine have never went on a rampage. It is too bad we dont actually have the a way to visit across the back fence, but this is the next best thing

• ceresone
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gardensprite--try Ozark Area Gardeners on FB

• aiwen
    11 years ago

Ceresone, all I could find was Ozark Area Organic Gardeners
    It had 1 like and 1 post? I could not find Ozark Area Gardeners on fb.

• ceresone
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats all it says at the top=Ozark Area Gardeners Fb page--and has 230 members right now--do you have a e mail listed here anywhere? I could send you my name, and you could see it from my page

• ceresone
    Original Author
    11 years ago

or-send me a e mail stillbluelady@yahoo.com

• aiwen
    11 years ago

Ceresone, I sent you an email, but now I've found that page and asked to join. Thank You!

• borderbarb
    11 years ago

Hi guys ... May an AR/CA 'lurker' chime in? I'm not an old timer on this forum, but have found the tone of conversation so friendly [as compared to some other garden forums, which can get rather cranky] and you all actually seem to know how lucky/blessed you are to live in the Ozarks.

We're just returned to CA from spending Christmas in our little house in Rogers. [sigh] Family matters still require us to base in CA for present.

Re the Facebook question ... my daughter likes it a lot, but when she uses my computer to access her FB I get all sorts of spammy stuff ... so I'll forego that particular new tech.

• ceresone
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Welcome, Barb. This forum needs new blood, I'm afraid lots of people declined to visit, after the adds starting getting so bad here. I dont notice spam coming from my FB, perhaps your settings? Anyway, WELCOME!

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Hi Barb - You're welcome to join in even if you're not actually here. It doesn't look like you're going to miss any snow by staying in California this winter - at least from the forecasts I've seen lately. It's not too late but so far we've had a mild winter like last year. Sometimes in the Ozarks, we will get a nice deep snow in March when the weather is nice enough outside for the kids to enjoy playing in it all day without freezing to death. It thaws quickly that time of year. That's the kind I prefer. : )

• janie1979
    11 years ago

I've been a lurker off and on for a long time, but spring fever has me checking the Ozarks forum today. The warm temps today have me wishing I was home instead of sitting at this computer at work and could maybe trim back some dead stuff or do something outside. I'm in Springfield. Hope the forum activity will pick up as we get closer to spring.

• ceresone
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats what my Daughter in Springfield was doing this morning. I convinced her to wait and trim back after our freezes are over. She did decide she could cut her mums back tho. Noticed my roses are putting on new shoots

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?