Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Old recipes

christie_sw_mo
14 years ago

I've been looking though my great grandmother's cookbook. It's very brittle and some pages are hard to read. It's from 1890 and I was curious whether it was rare so I looked up the title on the internet. I discovered that the same book is available online. Someone has taken the time to scan the pages (not my great grandmother's book of course). It's called the Compendium of Cookery and Reliable Recipes. It has a lot of interesting recipes. Even if you don't like to cook, you should look through the index. Some are very odd (to me at least). There's also some how-to tips.

I noticed there's a recipe for plum pudding Jessaka.

Glenda there's a recipe for mincemeat and one for mock mincemeat in the pastry section. There are soap recipes too. I thought you might want to compare those to what you have.

I clicked on "read online" on the left. Then you can flip through the pages or put in a page number that you want to go to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Compendium of Cookery - archive.org

Comments (8)

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

Very interesting. Do you have a favorite recipe?

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Interesting site. Nothing like Grandmas. She would have only used what was available to her in her own location and probably just from the farm.

I have come up with something similar and am letting it age. I think it tastes super. I won't bake with it for a couple of weeks.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glenda - here's the other mincemeat recipe from my grandmother's friend's mother. The quantities are large so I assume it's a canning recipe.

5 lbs beef cooked and ground
    2 lbs apples
    2 lbs raisins
    2 lbs currants
    1/2 lb citron
    1 qt. boiled-down vinegar
    25¢ brown sugar

Add a little vinegar and white sugar to taste. Add cinnamon, nutmeg and bits of jelly to taste.

I'm not sure how big a 25 cent brown sugar would've been, and I don't know what citron is. I wonder if it's hard to find.

There seems to be a lot of different mincemeat recipes. Do you think this was a way to use up meat when it was difficult to keep it refrigerated/frozen?

• jessaka
    14 years ago

I will have to check out that book and the plum pudding recipe.

so far i have a friend trying to help me. she suggested i use a crock pot with water in it and water up to 2/3 of the the mold. now i am working on getting a mold.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

christie, my grandmother and mother used the meat from the hog's head....never had beef because they had no refrigeration back then (Mom did, but not grandma). Nothing was wasted. The took out the eyes, cut off the ears (those were scrubbed and used too), cut off snout and boiled the whole head (minus the brains of course). When cool, took off all the meat bits and pieces with some fat too. This is what they used for mincemeat and souse.

Citron is a citrus fruit and most Ozarkians would never have had that.

I made up my own recipe using what I had in the pantry...no meat!. I used dark and golden raisins, candied cherries, frozen Red Haven peaches that had turned very dark, apples peeled and cored, sugar, boiled down apple cider, my hard cider, minced candied orange peel and the flesh only of the oranges. I ran all through the KA grinder and let it age for several days on the porch.....then cooked it down for 20 minutes and it is now aging in the fridge. I think it tastes like Mom's and Grandma's did....the real test will be my cooking expert sister when she tastes it!

I have a half gallon of it. I even enjoy it on toast.

I have copied your family recipe and put it in my Mincemeat File. I now have about 6 different recipes, most calling for meat....except the green tomato one. I will try that next summer. Thanks for taking the time to look it up and post it for me. Yours is a simpler recipe than most; calling for less ingredients.

Glenda

• rockguy
    14 years ago

True "citron" is a citrus fruit, but they could have meant "citron melon", it's a small watermelon-like fruit.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks rockguy.
    I don't know the science of canning but if Citron was an important ingredient and it was common to make mincemeat, perhaps it was something a person could buy at a general store back then.
    I saw something about "how to boil a calf's head" in the index of that cookbook. We're spoiled nowadays aren't we. I'm sure that part is used at processing plants for dogfood and such, but we never have to deal with it ourselves.
    Violet I didn't mean to ignore your question about my favorite recipe. I have some picky eaters in my family. It's really hard to find something that everyone likes. My son said he wanted chicken with biscuits for Thanksgiving instead of turkey and everyone agreed. That's definitely one of their favorites. I use the Allrecipes chicken pot pie recipe below, but drop globs of bisquick biscuits on top instead of putting it into a pie crust and I double the gravy. I use the Allrecipes website a LOT. You can sort by rating which is sooo helpful. This one has five stars and over 2500 reviews. There are at least a couple Allrecipes cookbooks out with favorites in them. That's how I discovered the website. There was a book in our dentist's office.

Here is a link that might be useful: Allrecipes.com - Chicken Pot Pie IX

• jessaka
    14 years ago

i finally found a plum pudding recipe that i like that calls for candied orange and lemon peel, apples and apricots. i couldn't find the lemon or orange peel in the stores, too late. i want fresh apricots. will wait until next year to make one. will freeze my own apricot and make my own candied orange and lemon peel. a friend gave me some enameled tin pans. not sure what the metal is, but they would make great molds.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH