Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swmogardens

Nandina berries

swmogardens
14 years ago

One of my very favorite shrubs is Nandina domestica. It has beautiful berries this time of year.

{{gwi:1123178}}

Comments (10)

• helenh
    14 years ago

Yes and so easy care. My friend has a neat dwarf with no berries but beautiful lasting color in the fall.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Mrs. Claus looks like she's conducting a garden tour. : )

I love nandina. The leaves turn pretty colors too. I planted a short row of them to hide my propane tank and they look great year round.
    They don't seem to be admired much in the shrubs forum. I think they're somewhat invasive down south. I've never had a single volunteer from mine even though they get lots of berries so they're certainly not invasive here.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Very pretty; like its friend too.

I have two nandinas but this one seems to have more berries; I think it gets more sun. {{gwi:1123179}}From Miscellaneous Fall Pictures

• helenh
    14 years ago

I think they are too common in the South to be appreciated. It is easy to take them for granted because they require so little attention.

• swmogardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Another thing I've noticed is the birds don't seem to eat the berries. Every other shrub in my garden is stripped of all the berries.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

The dogwood berries are already gone from the two trees. I am glad they don't eat the nandina. They will look good all winter. I picked some last year and they turned burgundy inside the house.

Christie, have you noticed the red flowering bushes along 160 on the west side as you come into Willard? I am wondering what they are.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

My mockingbird took care of my dogwood fruit this year. I've seen bluebirds going after them in the past but didn't see a single one this year.

Did you mean flowering or do they have red berries Glenda? I don't remember seeing them but if they're west of AB, I haven't been out that way lately. There are some shrubs on west Kearney almost to the airport that have LOTS of red berries on them. It's something the city/county planted beside the road. I thought they might be deciduous holly. They're really impressive.

I have a red-berried aronia that holds its berries for quite awhile but not as long as nandina.

• swmogardens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Another great feature about Nandina Domestica is their willingness to grow in deep shade. These are planted under a mature hedge tree. They get about one hour of sun a day.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I've had trouble finding plants that are drought tolerant enough for the shade under my hedge trees and had wondered about nandina. It's good to know it will still get berries in shade. It seems like some shrubs that claim to be shade and drought tolerant will survive but don't flower or fruit very well there.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Christie, the are on the west side of 160 as you are coming to Willard from Kearney. I bet they are native deciduous hollies. They are red berries; I never noticed them blooming this summer.

I planted an aronia this summer now I am wanting the deciduous hollies!

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area