Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nandina berries

Posted by swmogardens (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 3, 09 at 12:30

One of my very favorite shrubs is Nandina domestica. It has beautiful berries this time of year.
mrs claus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nandina berries

Yes and so easy care. My friend has a neat dwarf with no berries but beautiful lasting color in the fall.

o

Mrs. Claus looks like she's conducting a garden tour. : )

I love nandina. The leaves turn pretty colors too. I planted a short row of them to hide my propane tank and they look great year round.
They don't seem to be admired much in the shrubs forum. I think they're somewhat invasive down south. I've never had a single volunteer from mine even though they get lots of berries so they're certainly not invasive here.

o

Very pretty; like its friend too.

I have two nandinas but this one seems to have more berries; I think it gets more sun.

From Miscellaneous Fall Pictures

o

I think they are too common in the South to be appreciated. It is easy to take them for granted because they require so little attention.

o

Another thing I've noticed is the birds don't seem to eat the berries. Every other shrub in my garden is stripped of all the berries.

o

The dogwood berries are already gone from the two trees. I am glad they don't eat the nandina. They will look good all winter. I picked some last year and they turned burgundy inside the house.

Christie, have you noticed the red flowering bushes along 160 on the west side as you come into Willard? I am wondering what they are.

o

My mockingbird took care of my dogwood fruit this year. I've seen bluebirds going after them in the past but didn't see a single one this year.

Did you mean flowering or do they have red berries Glenda? I don't remember seeing them but if they're west of AB, I haven't been out that way lately. There are some shrubs on west Kearney almost to the airport that have LOTS of red berries on them. It's something the city/county planted beside the road. I thought they might be deciduous holly. They're really impressive.

I have a red-berried aronia that holds its berries for quite awhile but not as long as nandina.

o

Another great feature about Nandina Domestica is their willingness to grow in deep shade. These are planted under a mature hedge tree. They get about one hour of sun a day.

nandina

o

I've had trouble finding plants that are drought tolerant enough for the shade under my hedge trees and had wondered about nandina. It's good to know it will still get berries in shade. It seems like some shrubs that claim to be shade and drought tolerant will survive but don't flower or fruit very well there.

o

Christie, the are on the west side of 160 as you are coming to Willard from Kearney. I bet they are native deciduous hollies. They are red berries; I never noticed them blooming this summer.

I planted an aronia this summer now I am wanting the deciduous hollies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here