Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violet_z6

2013 Master Gardener Level I Training - Greene County, MO

Violet_Z6
11 years ago

2013 Master Gardener Level I Training - Greene County, MO
Master Gardeners of Greene County, Springfield, MO in Springfield, Missouri

Do you know someone who loves to garden and is interested in serving as a volunteer in Greene County? Help us get the word out! Consider a gift of sponsoring a friend to become a member of the Master Gardener organization. This is a $1,200 value for less than $150. And it's a gift that keeps on giving.

2013 Master Gardener Level I Training
February 19 - April 4, 2013, Tuesday-Thursday
Training will be during the DAY from 1-4 p.m.

If you're interested in taking training, email us at mg.greenecounty@gmail.com with your first and last name, email, and phone number, and we'll get you on the list so you can be informed of orientation dates. This notification will likely be mid-January.

12 Sessions

Classes will be held at Springfield-Greene County Botanical Center, 2400 S. Scenic Springfield, MO 65807

Each class is a 3 hour in-depth discussion, with experts covering all aspects of the topics. Two snow days are built in.

Topics May Include:
What is Horticulture; Plant Propagation
Basic Botany & Plant Science
Soils and Nutrition
Annuals & Perennials
Vegetables
Fruits
Insects
Trees in the Landscape
Greenhouses & Inside Plants
Woody Landscape Plants
Lawns & Turf
Plant Diseases
Home Landscaping

Why become a Master Gardener Volunteer?
The Master Gardener Volunteer program is an opportunity for individuals to learn and share knowledge with others. Each person entering the program agrees to a time commitment to the Master Gardener Program. This consists of at least 30 hours of approved activities the first year and 20 hours each year following to maintain Master Gardener status.

Who may become a Master Gardener Volunteer?
A candidate for the Master Gardener program is any one with ability and willingness to donate volunteer hours to the Master Gardeners of Greene County public demonstration gardens and chapter activities.

Volunteer Activities:
Volunteers may engage in a variety of educational activities that benefit the community as well as individuals and their families. Examples of activities may include work in Master Gardener Demonstration Gardens, planning community projects and educational programs, giving presentations to groups, educating students at area schools about how to garden, representation at events such as the Lawn and Garden Show or the Farmer's Markets or Butterfly Festival, assisting with the Master Gardener Hotline or conducting gardening demonstrations.

Master Gardeners of Greene County Programs:

Special Events
We often host exhibits, classes, and activities at annual events such as the Lawn & Garden Show and the Friends of the Garden Butter y Festival, and Young Sprouts in the Garden.

Annual Plant Sale
Traditionally the last Saturday in April, our chapters major fundraiser offers area gardeners an opportunity to purchase a wide variety of hardy plants at bargain prices.

Special Projects
We collaborate with libraries, local schools, The Botanical Center, and several nonprofit organizations in the area to consult with special projects that benefit the community.

Master Gardener Hotline
Garden questions are answered year round by members who volunteer to offer research based information. The Hotline is staffed from March - October. Off season callers may leave a message for a response. Visit us at The Botanical Center, call 417-881-8909, or email: hotline@mgreene.org

Speakers Bureau
We offer presenters of a wide variety of topics for garden clubs, civic organizations, schools and other groups. Call 417-881-8909 to request a speaker. A minimum honorarium of $25 is encouraged to support chapter projects.

Public Demonstration Gardens
We maintain two public gardens which offer hands on learning for members. Anyone may tour the gardens from dawn to dusk to view the plants, to observe their growth throughout the seasons, and for inspiration.

Master Gardener Demonstration Gardens: 2400 S Scenic Ave., Spring eld, Mo. Just north of The Botanical Center building. Beds include mixed border, herbs, vegetables, turf, ornamental grasses, and Missouri natives.
Xeriscape Garden: at National Ave. & Linwood St., south of the Springfield Art Museum. Focuses on water-wise gardening and includes a Monarch Butter y Waystation.

Seminars & Workshops
Continuing education on numerous garden related topics is a popular service the public enjoys throughout the year.

Advanced Training
Exclusive educational opportunities for master gardener members only. Hands-on, in-depth training on a variety of horticulture topics.

Master Gardeners are adults of all ages who enjoy gardening and who have previous gardening experience. Master Gardeners are members of the local community who share an interest in lawns, trees, shrubs, and flowers.

The mission of the Missouri Master Gardener program is: 'Helping Others Learn to Grow.' As part of the outreach efforts of University of Missouri Extension, Master Gardeners involve people in improving the quality of life, and enhancing the economy and environment through horticulture education, applied research, and the resources of the University of Missouri and Lincoln University.

Here is a link that might be useful: Master Gardeners of Greene County

Comments (2)

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Violet, are you going to attend? I am not an experiened gardener but would like to take advantage of some of the classes. I think I could learn a lot. Thanks for the post.
    Keith

• Violet_Z6
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

HI Keith,

I'm going on my eleventh year as a member so I may not attend so much as be obligated to share some insight on the chapter. You do not have to be an experienced gardener to become a member of the organization.

You only need to be willing to learn and willing to serve as a volunteer and willing to meet new people and be a part of the team. If you are interested, please email your name, email, and phone to mg.greenecounty@gmail.com. This will assure that you will be informed of the orientation dates which have not yet been set but should be announced sometime in January. It's a great group and there's no better way to learn about gardening than being around other gardeners.

Here is a link that might be useful: Details