Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swmogardens

Attract more birds

swmogardens
14 years ago

Every year in early December, I put out a heated dog water bowl. When the temp drops below freezing I turn it on. I put a rock and a stick in it for the birds to perch on. Sometimes I'll have 2 or 3 doves sitting on the rock like it is their own little spa.

{{gwi:1123182}}

Comments (3)

• ceresone
    14 years ago

Another good idea, is to put your feeders where the little birds can find cover in a hurry. Like evergreens, etc.
    One year, I got to see the neatest thing-I had hurt my leg, so had a woodpile just outside the door-and a picture window. The bird feeder was close too. The little birds scattered as a hawk sat down at the feeder. He flew to the woodpile, and due to the window having see out-not in, film on it--I could see the hawk, on the top of the pile--and the little birds hiding inside it.!! Really nice, I could see him listening, turning his head this way and that--and little ones being careful.
    A few minutes I wont forget.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I thought I responded to this earlier....probably didn't hit send. I think I will look for a a heated waterer.

I have spent the morning trying to get one of the three chicken waterers going. Now out of electrical tape (actually DH has misplaced it! but he won't admit it.)

The birds still haven't found the new tube feeder.

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

I need one of those. Ceresone, loved your hawk story. Don't you wish you'd had a video camera. I saw something I remember a few years ago--2 somethings really. A Suet feeder attracted a titmouse and a redbellied woodpecker at the same time. They landed on opposite sides of teh feeder. The woodpecker didn't want to share and feinted at the titmouse to run it off. The titmouse left but returned just a few seconds later. The woodpecker feinted again. Titmouse left again. Titmouse returned in few seconds. The woodpecker grabbed the titmouse's beak in his beak, jerked him off the feeder, shook him a couple times and slung him over his shoulder. I laughed so hard inside the window only five ft away that I startled the woodpecker and he flew away.

On another occasion I watched a squirrel come down a tree to drink out of the dog's water dish at the base of a tree. It is an old large skillet and a sparrow landed on the rim of it and began to drink while the squirrel was there. Sparrow at 3 oclock, squirrel at 6 oclock. Without looking up or making any indication that it was even aware of the little bird, the squirrel arched his tail over and whacked the sparrow on top of the head, knocking it off the rim. The sparrow left and again, I burst out laughing and startled the squirrel, which headed back up the tree.

Sure wish I'd had a video camera.