Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agrobiodiversity

Ozark Seed Swap Feb. 21

agrobiodiversity
15 years ago

Hello Ozark Seed Savers! You are invited to the 2nd Annual Arkansas (Ozark) Seed Swap at the Ozark Folk Center in Mt. View Ar on Sat, February 21, 2009 from 12-3. Free food, music, and lots of folks with seeds to swap.

Comments (7)

• helenh
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That sounds like a great idea for garden clubs or master gardener sales. I wish it was closer.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Sounds like fun, but is a 4-hour trip for me. Have a good time and I hope it is a great success.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

If weather and health permits i'll be there. Have a friend there to visit too. I wanted to go last year but found out about it too late. Thanks for posting.
    Vickie

• seedsonshirt
    15 years ago

I'll probably go.

• agrobiodiversity
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Some additional info on the Swap.

2nd ANNUAL OZARK SEED SWAP TO PRESERVE
    AND DISTRIBUTE TRADITIONAL SEED VARIETIES

UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL ARKANSAS, CONWAY, ARKANSAS �"Co-sponsored by the Ozark Folk Center State Park and the University of Central Arkansas, the Conserving Arkansas’s Agricultural Heritage (CAAH!) Project will host the second annual Ozark Seed Swap on February 21st, 2009 at the Ozark Folk Center State Park Bois D' Arc Conference Center. Last year was a huge success, with over one hundred seed savers in attendance and hundreds of heirloom varieties exchanging hands. We are excited to invite you to bring some seeds and stories to swap with other Ozark seed savers and yarn spinners. If you have no seeds to swap but want to get started, come along to mingle with gardeners and farmers who can help. We can conserve the heritage of Arkansas while we share good stories, beautify our yards, and of course, get free seeds. Refreshments and music (a pickin’) will be provided.

WHAT: 2nd Annual Ozark Seed Swap
    WHEN: February 21, 2009, 12-3PM
    WHERE: Ozark Folk Center Bois D' Arc Conference Center, Mountain View, Arkansas. 870-269-3851 1032 Park Ave Mountain View, AR 72560, US
    WHO: University of Central Arkansas Sociology Department and Humanities and World Cultures Institute partnering with the Ozark Folk Center State Park and any interested farmers and gardeners
    WHY: Arkansas farmers and gardeners have a legacy of heirloom seeds that are in danger of being lost, and sharing of seeds will encourage production of diverse varieties for posterity.
    HOW IT WORKS: Anyone can bring seeds to swap or share. University students will assist Dr. Campbell in saving a master set to distribute for the next season and keeping a database of local varieties. If you would like to join in the pickin’, bring a musical instrument.
    COST: None.

Got Whippoorwills? Razorbacks? Red Rippers? Pencil Cob? Hickory King? Greasebacks? Turkey Craws? Want some? Come to the Old-Timey Ozark Seed Swap
    The results of the this project will be the collection of information on endangered seeds, promotion of a seed sharing resource, rejuvenation of traditional Ozark seed swaps and passing on of seeds (as is being encouraged by the University of Georgia's Southern Seed Legacy), study of the feasibility of expanding consumer-supported agricultural systems, and publication of results of the study in anthropological journals and the popular press. As for the latter, there is much interest in subjects related to the American diet and food production methods (see best-sellers by Michael Pollan, OMNIVORE'S DILEMMA and BOTANY OF DESIRE, Frances Moore Lappe's HOPE'S EDGE, and Eric Schlosser's FAST FOOD NATION). The importance of global seed saving is also being increasingly recognized and popularized (see John Seabrook's article "Sowing for Apocalypse" in the August 27, 2007 edition of THE NEW YORKER). An anthropological study will add to the growing literature a further appreciation of just how important preserving traditional knowledge can be for human posterity and even survival. For more information on the project, our website address is: http://www.arkansasagro.wordpress.com
    # # #

• lindag
    15 years ago

I didn't know about the seed swap at the folk center. Knew I had been missing stuff by not reading on garden web.
    Hope I get to go not to far from me, just a good drive.
    Don't have any heirloom seeds to trade, but I can look and talk, oh can I talk.
    lindag

• seedsonshirt
    15 years ago

I've made plans to go. One or two others are going with me. Dr. Campbell sounds like an enthusiastic person. I think it's really great he's not only working to preserve seed-saving ways, but also getting young people interested in it so these ways will extend into the future. Hope to meet some of you there!

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms