Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

winter sowing instead of vacuuming

helenh
14 years ago

I winter sowed one plastic container today in a lettuce container from Sam's. I also worked on the last of Christmas cards; can't make myself do housework. Where is Bonnie? Sunny was missing and came back with a new knee. I hope Bonnie is OK or have I just missed her posts?

Comments (8)

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

Yes, Helen, where is Bonnie? I knew I was missing someone. This Ozark community gets to feel like a family after awhile -- hope she's okay.
    Sunny

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I laughed when I saw the title of this thread....I do everything....before cleaning the house.

Then when company is coming I have to go crazy!

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I still have a little Christmas shopping to do and lots of wrapping besides vacuuming, laundry etc. I'm trying to wait until after Christmas to start winter sowing but I may need a break for sanity's sake. I'm going to try blueberry seeds this year and I think I should sow them early on. Their in my frig right now.

It just occurred to me that I don't have enough containers unless I use milk jugs, which would be better if they were clear but I like a good view of what's growing.
    Helen - I never go to Sam's. I may need to check out their lettuce containers. I buy a spinach mix at Walmart that's in a plastic box but the lid is flat. If I put two together, it might work pretty good. What did you sow by the way?

Hey - I could still add potting soil to my Christmas wish list if my hubby asks. I think he still has shopping to do to. : )

Hope Bonnie will check in and others.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Christie I winter sowed poppies. You can plant them directly and I have some little ones coming up outside but I wanted more. I wouldn't buy the lettuce again. The container is great but you can't buy lettuce just to get the container. It was spring mix or something baby leaf lettuce too hard to wash. I wash bought lettuce even when it is pre washed because if you don't use it all right away, it begins to rot. I did buy something at Sam's I would buy again - Eurofresh tomatoes on the vine Compari tomatoes, very red, very good, but not cheap.

• jessaka
    14 years ago

my dh loves it when company is coming, and always gets a laugh at how fast the house gets cleaned.

what is winter sowing? are you actually putting seeds in the ground?

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jessaka, there is a forum all about winter sowing. The fac on that forum will tell you how. Also if you do a search you can find posts with pictures about it. Trudi who came up with the idea also sends out free tomato seeds for postage. I got some a week ago. Hunt for the SASE offer and you will find it. It is a really good method for some types of seed. I don't use it for things like zinnias or marigolds that come up fast and need heat. Some seeds need a winter or take forever to come up; I think columbine and rudbeckia would be ideal seeds for this method. You fix your milk jugs and set them outside; carefree until spring. In spring you check for growth and transplant while the plants are small.

• jessaka
    14 years ago

thanks. i will check it out.

• ladycraft
    14 years ago

Vacuum is that something you should do regularly?
    You have to try winter sowing. It made a believer out of me. I got hundreds of plants or at least it seemed like it. I had 60 milk jugs last yr and only 3 of them didn't germinate. I haven't planted anything this yr yet but will. Hubby has been in KS since Sat so I have finally gotten the bathroom vinyl tiles put down and the cleaning done in there. While I had the vacuum out I went to the bedroom too. It really needed it as I don't like to clean. It looks like a new bath & bedroom now. I'm headed to KS tomorrow. Don't suppose he will notice when we return. He just cares that he can eat, shower and sleep. Kathy

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA