Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

what are your favorite tomato varieties

helenh
14 years ago

I am going to order from Sand Hill as soon as their new catalog comes out. I am having fun and wasting time researching names. I will definitely plant Eva Purple Ball, Pale Perfect Purple, Granny Cantrell and Mortgage Lifter that were successes last year. I already have some others and will order more. It is better than drug addiction. If all my plants last year had been a good as the four above, I wouldn't need to plant many. I like to try new kinds but I want them to be great. I would like to get Indian Stripe if it is available this year. I probably won't plant all I order but it is getting me through winter.

Comments (5)

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Helen, don't forget all those seeds I have......

You know I loved the Granny Cantrell, but honestly, since we have lived here, I have never had a bumper crop of tomatoes so it is hard for me to pick one.

The people who lived on the farm before us lived here for 50 years and used chemical fertilizers that they used on the fields. As a result, the garden had zero humus and would dry and crack open like the Sahara Desert. I have spent years mulching and finally it is better, but not perfect yet.

I do love the Sungold cherry tomatoes (thank you). I eat those when I am working in the garden.

I am going to plant some tomatoes in various flower beds. I know she never raised flowers where I have them, so am safe there!

I may try a new company for corn seed, New Hope Seed Company. I checked them out on Dave's Garden and they had no negatives.

Glenda

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Glenda for reminding me. I don't know what is considered a bumper crop. I can't eat many tomatoes even if I have them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I made some frozen salsa, but don't can. I gave lots to people who really appreciate them. I don't know that I can quit. Some 90 year olds kind of expect them from me. Last spring my friend gave me manure that he scoops in a pile where he feeds and where the cattle loaf waiting for feed. This pile sat out in the weather and was well rotted. It has grass in it and where I put it has bermuda. I intended to screen it and mix it in with dirt. I didn't get that done and planted tomatoes in it. They did well. I complained to everyone that all the rain was falling in S E Kansas near me. They would get 4 inches and I would get a sprinkle. It rained south of me and missed me. It was dry here and I had no disease. Then it rained 9 plus inches. The tomatoes split and rotted. I never did have serious leaf disease but some yellow leaves at the bottom. Stinkbugs are my biggest problem and the sprays I use are wimpy nontoxic and don't kill stink bugs. Sophie's Choice was a complete failure and Carolyn says in her book that getting dry will stunt it. I think the other tomatoes were healthier on the dry side.

• sweetwm007
    14 years ago

helen- you might try aunt gertie's gold and dr wyche's yellow. for a treat try silvery fir tree.

william

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks William it is good to hear from you. Do you like silvery fir tree for the looks or the flavor? I have read it is an attractive, unusual plant.

• sweetwm007
    14 years ago

for me, the flavor. from what i've read you either like it or don't. no in between. i think it has a low brix rating and is tart to me. unusual. foilage is wispy. unique.
    aunt gerties gold is the best tasting gold i have ever grown. a potato leaf plant that is vigorous.

william

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville