Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

December already

christie_sw_mo
12 years ago

I know everyone has been busy with Thanksgiving cooking/company and now getting ready for Christmas but I hope you can find time to check in.

It was nice today and I got out and dug some of my red Oscar glads. I left a few in the ground to see if they would come back. I'm not very confident about storing them. They were the prettiest glads I've grown so I wanted to try.

The seed catalogs are starting to come in and I did a little shopping. : ) I ordered a few packs of seeds to put under the Christmas tree for myself, mostly stuff for butterflies. So I guess that's a Christmas present for the butterflies instead of me. I feel less guilty if I say that. lol

I have straw to mulch my salvias but haven't put it around them yet. Hope we get another nice day before it gets too cold.

My middle daughter has been on a fried okra kick so I'm going to try growing Okra next year. I think I may order some seeds from Baker Creek and they have a bunch to choose from. They have at least a half dozen that are red or reddish that look like they would be ornamental and hopefully edible as well. Suggestions welcome.

What's everyone been up to?

Comments (10)

• gldno1
    12 years ago

Christie, I worked outside yesterday too. I finally got my bulbs all planted. I am quite proud of myself...
    I planted the half-whiskey barrel with white tulips in the center and blue hyacinths around the outside edges. I planted both blue and purple alliums, some white grape hyacinths and two varieties of fragrant daffs, Tete a Tete and Kokopelli. It will be fun to see something new next spring.

Did you notice any swarms of flying things yesterday. They drove me crazy if I walked into them. I have no idea what they were.

I planted the red okra one year....didn't like it. I hear a lot of good things about an heirloom called cow's horn or something like that. I like the hybrid Annie Oakley myself.
    I do a 10-foot row and it is plenty. Once it starts producing you have to pick it almost daily.

• sunnyside1
    12 years ago

Can't believe it's December! I'm raking and burning oak leaves every day it isn't too windy. Also using my green tomatoes which are turning red -- the Sweet 100 produced a ton of them and they are soooooo good.

Leaf man coming soon to get (and take off) the rest of the oak leaves. I usually keep 5-6 bags of shredded leaves for mulch, but don't need them this year. Got the benches, etc. covered and garden decor put away in bins. A lot of work, but good exercise, which I do need. Katy (dog) loves being out there with me.

Sent for some okra seed last spring that doesn't get too big, but too hot to plant 2011 so will be looking forward to trying them. Also beets and chard. I have ash/elm leaves and compost on the raised beds until they compost down. Also burying my kitchen scraps in the beds rather than the compost bin.

Anyone winter sowing this season? I'm thinking about it --
    Sunny

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

Not too much going on with me garden-wise. I did plant some bulbs my son in law gave me, crocus, tulips and something else I didn't recognise but might have been a acilla, and harvested hosta seeds. Leaves are staying put for now, I've raked twice and haven't had a chance to do it again. Waiting for a nice non- windy day for that and shredding some of them. The rest are going down in the woods on the beds and on the brush pile. Finishing putting up Christmas lights today and getting a tree before it turns really cold!

Sandy

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No swarms here. Wow it seems really late in the year for that.
    I don't think I'll plant much okra since it's my first time to grow it. Just want to experiment a little. It's not my favorite thing to eat unless it's fried and I try not to eat too much fried stuff. (try)
    I've been buying the Great Value brand of okra in the freezer case that's already sliced and breaded and it's pretty good and convenient. Convenience is a big plus for me. : )

We don't have a ton of leaves in our yard so we can get by with just mowing them and they disappear. No raking. I need to get out the leaf blower and get the leaves out of the rock along the front of the house though and get the ones that have snuck into the garage. Wish I could wait for a day when it's 60 but I'm afraid those days are over for awhile.

I'm going to wish I had planted some bulbs when you all start posting pictures in the spring.

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

Not too much going on with me garden-wise. I did plant some bulbs my son in law gave me, crocus, tulips and something else I didn't recognise but might have been a acilla, and harvested hosta seeds. Leaves are staying put for now, I've raked twice and haven't had a chance to do it again. Waiting for a nice non- windy day for that and shredding some of them. The rest are going down in the woods on the beds and on the brush pile. Finishing putting up Christmas lights today and getting a tree before it turns really cold!

Sandy

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

Sandy

• helenh
    12 years ago

It is too cold to suit me. I didn't get all my bulbs planted; I hope we have another warmish day. Every time I dig there is already something there. I have a big clear area around my walnut stump and it would be easy to plant there. I haven't decided what to do with that area yet though. I wish I had some bagged leaves. I usually get them in Joplin but this year I am afraid of what may have blown around so this area of Joplin is out. My friend says tornado areas don't have leaves. I may go north and look for the bagged leaves on the curb. I usually get lots every year. There is nothing better than chopped leaves for mulch in my opinion.

• sunnyside1
    12 years ago

Helen, the Leaf Man will be here this morning. I don't need this year's shredded leaves and you are welcome to the bags if you want them.
    I'll let you know. Somehow lost your e-mail address -
    Sunny

• helenh
    12 years ago

Thanks for the offer. I am only in Joplin on the weekends usually. If you still have bagged leaves I would love to have them. I guess it would be safe to get leaves at 2nd street but we have been picking up little pieces of stuff all summer at my friend's house. I don't want to bring home glass or insulation or pieces of shingles, metal and nails. Everyone around him got new shingles

• sunnyside1
    12 years ago

Great! I'll keep them for you, Helen. I don't know how many bags I'll have yet, but the ones I have seen are finely shredded. This is my first year having him and I'm really so pleased. He's using 39 gal bags so we should be able to lift them. Send me an e-mail when you can come.
    Sunny

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz