Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swmogardens

What is special to you

swmogardens
14 years ago

I'm wondering what makes your garden special to you. For me, I love the play of light across my garden. Especially when one plant is highlighted or lit up. I also get a warm feeling when birds use trees or shrubs I planted. Either to rest in or nest in.

{{gwi:1123449}}

Comments (5)

• helenh
    14 years ago

I just like to be outside. When I have new daylilies I can't wait each morning to see what has opened. I like to see if I can see the goldfish and what is going on in my little pond. The big goldfish hide and won't let me see them. If I am still and wait around they come to the top for food. The small ones aren't as careful. I have too many goldfish but it is interesting to see the patterns of color developing on the little ones. Last year I looked for ripe tomatoes every day. I planted them too close and it wasn't that easy to see them before they were red. I planted kinds I wasn't familiar with and couldn't wait to find out how they tasted. I look for asperagus. I keep trying to grow it but don't prepare good enough places and don't give it enough care. That means a new spear popping up is a big deal. My garden is different and interesting, but is not a neat manicured place.

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

I like to feel the LIFE of my trees, shrubs, flowers, etc. The wrens come back year after year and I wonder if they were hatched in the same wren box they have chosen. The rains smell so good, especially when my compost gets wet, and it seems if I can just get quiet enough out there, the whole place snaps and crackles. Even winter, with snow on the ground, it is beautiful and I'm glad everything has a nice rest, for they put forth a lot of growth energy when it's warm.
    I'm glad you asked this question, swmogardens.
    Sunny

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I have several plants that have sentimental value to me, ones that came from my mother or grandmother or friends, and I've planted lots of flowers for hummingbirds and butterflies, but to be honest, when I walk around my yard, I pay the most attention to anything new that I've planted. It's wonderful when something blooms or fruits for the first time. It just doesn't compare to seeing a picture in a catalog.

• jessaka
    14 years ago

I just read this to my husband, what makes your garden special, and he immediately said, "It is your garden." LOL. True.

• oakleif
    14 years ago

I can relate to everyones take on their garden.
    I have a couple of angel statues so i feel i have a tiny bit of paradise in my garden.A place to meditate, a place of peace in a busy world.