Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

White Hellebore blooming--no fragrance

mulberryknob
16 years ago

My white Hellebore has been blooming for almost a month. There are 6 blooms on a plant that I put out last spring. It got to 18 degrees F after the flowers opened and I thought it would kill the blooms back but it didn't appear to hurt them at all. One bloom that I picked as soon as it opened has been on the kitchen window sill for three weeks and still looks fresh. What incredible plants! The only disappointment is that the blooms have no fragrance. The first bed I ever saw--in Italy 9 years ago next month--was very fragrant. Different variety, I guess. Has anyone else raised a fragrant Hellebore? I would love to have that fragrance--gardenia-like--in the middle of the winter. Dorothy

Comments (5)

• gldno1
    16 years ago

I have never had hellebores at all, but last season bought one at the Master Gardener's sale and the dog dug it out at least three times so now it is just a tiny little thing. At least, it is alive. I now have a wire cage over it.

I did a Google search and found a nursery called Munchkin Nursery that carries them, but out out at this time. You might keep an eye on them though for when they have them again. It sounds like a wonderful plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: fragrant hellebore

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

I wonder if it was this one:

http://www.hellebores.org/liguricus.html

The description mentions Italy.
    When I was searching on Google, I came across a discussion in another forum and there was someone who posted that it has a long flowering time and better fragrance than h. odorus.

I'm just happy with ANYTHING that blooms this time of year so it's a big bonus that it would be fragrant too. Wonder if the seeds are available here and if they would be hardy.

• mulberryknob
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. I do want a fragrant one, so I will check these out. Dorothy

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

I have a few no-name helleborus hybridus or orientalis or something and a few helleborus foetidus. I get volunteers occasionally but when I've TRIED to grow them from seed, I've failed every time. Someone sent me a bunch of fresh seed from their double flowered ones once and I didn't get a single one of them to germinate. You might have better luck than me but I just wanted to let you know they're not easy to grow from seed so you will know to use extra care if you do find some. Good luck.

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Christie...
    It's not unusual for Helleborus seed to fail to germinate.
    I have sown hundreds of them, both fresh and old seed, in sterilized seed starting mix or potting mix, with almost zero results. The best results have been obtained by scattering fresh seed in the flower beds. Another method I use is to fill shallow pots with garden soil and place them under the flowers and allow the seed to fall into them.
    The seed require long hours of warm-cold-warm stratification to germinate and it's not unusual to see them emerge 2 or more years after planting.

Mulberryknob....
    I have many, many hundreds of Helleborus, encompassing 12 species, including H. odorus, and frankly, I have never noticed a fragrance from any of them. Maybe my olfactory senses, along with taste buds, have become dull over the years, but no one else has mentioned a fragrance.
    From posted comments, I realize that some plants, from several species, have fragrant flowers, but I just don't happen to have any of them.
    Good luck on your quest! :Rb