Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

MO Dept of Conservation

helenh
13 years ago

What a bargain. I ordered golden current. I didn't answer ozarkgrower because I don't know where you would get all those plants. Thank you a bunch for the tip. I did check out the golden current because I love it. It is kind of a wild bush that only looks good in the spring but boy does it smell good. It says it takes dry areas but I have found it wants a good place to do well. If you have good soil it will spread but I have tried to get it to take over here and I can't get enough of it. I hope it is the same thing; I call mine Buffalo Current. {{gwi:1123490}}

Here is a link that might be useful: I ordered on line

Comments (3)

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

I was planning on ordering a bundle of persimmon trees this year but I noticed they have a Wild Edibles bundle that includes persimmon and also Golden Currant which you've now convinced me that I need Helen. : )

Here's what it lists for that bundle:

50 plants includes 5 each of : Pawpaw, Black chokeberry, Wild plum, Elderberry, Persimmon, Red mulberry, Golden currant, Blackberry, Black cherry, Serviceberry

The assorted bundles are nice but more expensive. It's $25 but that's still pretty amazing for 50 plants.

I wish they would stick a couple buttonbush seedlings in there for me. I want those for butterflies but it's a wetland plant so I'm afraid they wouldn't do well along my fence row.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am sure you have read about buttonbrush on the butterfly forum but someone there said they started it easily from a cutting. I wouldn't know where to find a plant though. There are seeds for sale link below. After seeing the MO Dept of Conservation prices, it spoils you for other sources. If you order something from the Conservation Dept. , I would write a note asking for a couple plants of buttonbrush. They probably bundle the plants ahead of time and keep them in cold storage, so it might not be easy to break a bundle. I think they are more of a service providing outfit not so much for profit so you might luck out. I ordered on line and they say they will send a bill before sending my order in April and will not send it until I pay. I think enclosing a note with your check would be a good time to make the request. It couldn't hurt. I think the bundle you described would be very good for wildlife if you have a wild space. I have never noticed fruit on my currant. Raccoons love persimmons and birds love mulberry.

Here is a link that might be useful: another wildflower source

• mosswitch
    13 years ago

I've bought plants from Missouri Wildflowers Nursery before, they have nice quality plants and are big enough that you don't have to wait for years before they get big enough to bloom, as you do with the MDL seedlings, which are more for establishment and reforestation than they are for quick results. And with MWFN you only have to buy one of each, not a bundle of 25 that you might not have room for. They have a better selection also and you can get what you really want of each plant. They are fast, too, if you order they send them out when you want them and you get them in a few days. Of course, if you are near their nursery in Jeff City you can pick them up there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Wildflowers Nursery

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?