Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

freezing rain

helenh
10 years ago

Here's how it goes. I sit at the computer, Honey noses me and won't let me type. I get chicken out of the refrigerator and he leaves me alone.

I have been getting light freezing rain for a couple hours at least. I moved the truck so it isn't under a tree. I need to charge up my rechargeable flashlights and get all my dishes and clothes washed while I have electricity.

Comments (7)

• rockwhisperer OK zone 6A
    10 years ago

Freezing rain here in NE Okla as well. Doesn't seem to be very heavy yet. They say we'll not receive very much rain or wind, for which I'm grateful. Mesonet predicts 3" of snow for us tonight.

Sam, my siamese, hates to go out in this weather and would love to have a litter pan but I draw the line at that and spoil her in other ways. So she's been out and done her thing and is now guarding my seed stash.

• christie_sw_mo
    10 years ago

I need to do some shopping but I'm patiently waiting for the temp to go up a bit.
    Our two dogs have been out and back in. Chloe is already barking to go back out but Jackson won't be willing to go out with her and she never thinks she can go out alone. Jackson rolls over on his back and looks at me with sad eyes when he doesn't want to go out.
    Sam looks very cozy.
    Our trees have a beautiful layer of ice but it should be above freezing very soon so hopefully the roads will be ok. We are definitely dodging a bullet on the ice accumulation here. They'll get more north of us where it's a little colder.

• helenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Be careful Christie. I'm not getting out. If all this rain were ice we would be in trouble. It looks like animals are running things. I think it is funny Chloe won't go out by herself. I used to have a Siamese or actually a series of Siamese. Yours looks deprived, ha.

• rockwhisperer OK zone 6A
    10 years ago

LOL Helen! Had to take her to the vet yesterday, she has a bloodshot eye, and getting her into the carrier is an experience. She sang to us all the way there and all the way home, "Oh! Ohhhhhhh! OHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" I swear, each breed has a voice all it's own and Siamese is freakishly like a small child. If she's in a good mood, mostly she just says, "Mmmmmm?"

Boy, those trees are beautiful. Wish the ice wasn't so hard on everything. Christy, I hope you didn't go shopping, afterall. We're getting rain now, I see it hitting on the concrete patio so it's still liquid, and not a hard rain. The temp is 28 , just a matter of time. Y'all stay in, stay safe. We are. Neither one of us needs a fall, and Hubs already had a fall a couple of weeks ago, made his shoulder sore.

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

Helen, my yard looks about like your photo. The big elm over the driveway has some iced limbs bent 'way down, but I'm not expecting anyone to drive in very soon. And believe me, I'm certainly not driving out.

My mailbox and garbage can are completely frozen shut. It's raining here and although I knocked icicles off the bird feeders, the little birds are just staying away. Katy isn't all that crazy about going out, even with her coat on, because she hates to get her head wet.

In the garage, the broccoli and spinach seeds were winking at me as I walked past -- I may sow them this afternoon and get them out on the patio in milk jugs to hopefully begin the process of growing deliciousness for spring.

Stay warm and safe, everyone!
    Sunny

• jbraun_gw
    10 years ago

We missed the freezing part of the rain on Friday. But not today.

So it look like using milk jugs is the way to go with sewing the spring transplant seeds? Last year I put them in a flat with a clear cover over it. The rains softened up the tape and the top came off. By the time I noticed it the soil had mostly washed out.

I went out to get some more ice melt for the porches and steps. That was early this morning and the next time I need to go out is Monday

Every body stay safe.
    Jim.

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

Jim, you might try Oil Dry on your ice and snow rather than the chemical ice melt. Get it at Sam's Club, and Wal-Mart had it in automotive lately. It's less expensive than kitty litter, and doesn't hurt your concrete or mortar. Used in professional garages to mop up spills.

A big bag at Sam's a few years ago cost about $3 something. I have given it away to friends, used it, and still have a bunch. Next year I'm putting some in a dense clay spot in a flower garden which is taking too long to change with chopped leaves/compost. It would probably be okay in containers, but haven't tried that yet.
    Sunny