Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linlily

wanted: western pa plant swap for 2007

linlily
17 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Even though itÂs cold and snowy and miserable outside, Cathy and I are already talking about planning another western PA plant swap for this fall. This gives everyone who is interested in joining us time to set aside the date that is chosen months in advance. We know that everyone is busy but knowing the date way a head of time should make things easier for everyone who wants to be involved! Emergencies do happen, but if you commit, please try to come.

What a great time we had last year. ItÂs so much fun to put faces to the names here at Gardenweb. ThereÂs nothing like getting a bunch of gardeners together, whether they be old friends from past swaps, or new ones that we havenÂt met before. We each brought a salad, veggies &dip, or a desert and Cathy made the most marvelous bar-b-qued ham sandwiches. Great food and good friends, it doesnÂt get any better than that. Except that now you throw a bunch of plants in the mix and you end up with a really fun time.

DonÂt think youÂll have enough plants to trade? You just might be surprised! Do you have extra pots and containers just taking up space? Have you collected a few too many gardening tools? Or how about the seeds that you have been collecting all summer. Maybe you have extras there. You could bring all those well-read gardening magazines that have been sitting in the basement to share with us. Did you check to see how big your perennials have gotten since last year? It may be time to divide them and share your extras at the swap. Are your houseplants growing way out of bounds? This might be an opportunity to share your extras with other gardeners at the swap. I find that I am always surprised at how many new plants I can make from digging up and dividing my perennials each year. One personÂs "trash" may be another personÂs "treasure." New starts from that overgrown Crazy Daisy Shasta Daisy may be just what someone else is looking for!

If Cathy and Ross can get the Railroad Supervisors Club again, we will have the swap there, which is on Tevebaugh Road in Baden, Beaver County. It is easily accessible from Route 65, I-79, and the Ohio and PA Turnpike. To those of you who live in Beaver, Butler, and Allegheny County, you can access Tevebaugh Road also from Conway/Economy Boro.

You donÂt have to worry about exactly what you are going to bring right now. But what we do need from you is a commitment. Let us know if you want to come and be a part of the plant swap in early September. If there is enough interest, we will set the exact date, and talk about food, drinks, plants, and door prizes later. Right now, we just need to know if the interest is there for another plant swap in our area. Post a message here or you can email me through Gardenweb if you have any questions. Hope to hear from you soon!

Linda ~ Linlily

Comments (22)

• dirtdiva
    17 years ago

I hope to be there. Today's Cathy's birthday!! Happy Birthday Cathy.
    Cheryl-dirtdiva

• linlily
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Great to hear from you Cheryl. I owe you an email from last fall, so you will be hearing from me. I did know it was Cathy's Birthday. I hope she has a good one!

Linda

• steel_magnolia_usa
    17 years ago

I'm definitely interested. I'm in Allegheny county about 20 minutes northeast of Pittsburgh. This sounds great! Please keep us posted.

• linlily
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for responding steel magnolia usa. We'll let you know when more info is available!

Linda

• pattygrow5
    17 years ago

Hi Linda I would love to come this year couldn't get a ride last year but the year before it was great and Cathy I got accepted into the Master Gardening program and have been going to classes since Septenber it's a lot of fun I'm sure one or two of the other 30 classmates of mine might like to come. Patty

• cbrandenburg
    17 years ago

Hi Patty,

It will be so nice to see you this year. Please let everyone know in your class about our plant swap.

Cathy

• linlily
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Patty,

Can't wait to see you this year and talk plants. How nice that you are taking the Master Gardening Program! You can tell everyone about it at the swap. As Cathy said, tell the members of your MG Program about the plant swap. Take care and good luck with your classes.

Linda

• rjhouse27
    17 years ago

Wow! I was just messing around on the site today when I came across this exchange. This sounds terrific! I am definately interested. Thanks for doing this. It will be nice to meet some of the nice people who gave me such great advice on other strings!

Best wishes for you and your gardens!

• roxxanne
    17 years ago

Hi All! I'll be there! I had such a nice time last year in the spring. That was my first swap and I wasn't really prepared, this time I'll be ready! I learned so much last year! I am wintersowing for the first time this year and I still make the plant tags from soda cans. All the stuff I got there is doing great! Jillian, the topiary I got in the doorprize swap was beautiful all summer! I planted those lobelia that were supposed to perennial and they look like they will be coming back, Horray! I am looking forward to seeing everyone again!
    Roxanne

• gillian_
    17 years ago

I haven't been here in a long time but thought I'd check to see if another swap might be happening. Count me in if it's my weekend off. Not sure what I will have to trade, I am just now starting to divide stuff.

Roxanne, so glad you liked the topiary. I may have to make a few more this Spring.

Let me know when you pick a date.

Gillian

• linlily
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Gillian,

We really hope you can get the weekend off - could you take a vacation day? Love to get together with you again. If you're starting to divide things, that's good. It means that you have some increase and things are growing well. Bring anything you have, and more important, bring yourself! We'll let you know when we get a solid date set. Take care and have a wonderful growing season,

Linda ~ Linlily

• gillian_
    16 years ago

Linda and Cathy,
    I was wondering if maybe you all would like to do a plant or bulb Co-op at the same time. I wouldn't mind looking into it if people are interested. The plants/bulbs could be brought to the swap and distributed - saving on mailing and packing costs. Just an idea to think about.

Gillian

• piedpiper
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Count me in on the swap. I have iris coming out my ears. It would be great to meet western PA gardeners. I'm located north of Ellwood City

• cbrandenburg
    16 years ago

Piedpiper you must have some beautiful ears, LOL. Do you know the names of your Iris? I have daylilies and hosta to trade. Let me know what your interested in.

Gillian, how are you girlfriend?? I'm not sure if we are allowed to do coops with the gardenweb. I'll look into it. I might be interested in some spring blooming bulbs. We are wanting everyone to give us some idea of a date to set for the swap before the club gets all booked up.

Have a great night everyone,

Cathy

• hoehum
    16 years ago

Hi guys!
    I'll be there with bells on again. I have no idea what I'll bring but it's always fun to be there with all of you.

My son bought a house in Brighton Heights last fall--I'm hoping he'll be able to make it.

I'm heading for my other son's over Memorial Day weekend but other than that I should be free. I'll check in to see what date you've picked.

I don't know how a co-op differes from a swap but if anyone has any snowdrops I want em!

• cbrandenburg
    16 years ago

We decided on a Date for the swap it will be held on September 8th 2007. I hope its a good date for everyone. The club got booked up quickly this year.

Cathy

• hoehum
    16 years ago

I like the fall date! Now I can pot up shoots and babies at my leisure. (a third of my winter sowing hasn't even come up yet, it's been so cold)

I visited my son (Brighton Heights) 2 weeks ago and it was like driving a time machine down I-79! I watched the wild mustard bloom and the leaves come out on the trees. The first house off the exit had an azaela in full bloom. Blew my mind! Your dogwood and lilac were out, too, and the moss phlox. I'm definitely 2 full weeks behind you. My azalea just started opening yesterday.

• cbrandenburg
    16 years ago

Good Morning everyone, I am finding a lot of seeds germinating in the garden. Right now I have a lot of Columbine Woodside Variegata coming up every where, these will either bloom pink or dark purple, the leaves are variegated light green and dark green. And I also have a few Keys of Heaven also germinating. If anyone is interested in these I will pot them up for the trade in September. They are growing nicely but I want to add mulch to the area they are growing and they need to come out.
    Thanks,

Cathy

• cbrandenburg
    16 years ago

Is everyone still up for this plant swap? We need to get this going soon, July will soon be over.

Cathy

• fusty_overalls
    16 years ago

Hi, Cathy...I was just browsing thru the forum, thinking that the fall swap was probably almost upon us...I am still up for it if it's still on.

I'd be happy to do some set up or bring something...anything you need? How can I help?

Janette

• linlily
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Janette,

Glad to hear you are still coming. I have list of people who have committed to come on the other side of this board under "Updated Info on Western PA Plant Swap." There is also updated info about the swap that you might want to read. I will add your name to the list. I am also going to start another thread here on the exchange side for lists of plants that people are trading/are looking for.

Linda

• cbrandenburg
    16 years ago

Hi Janette, nice to here from you. Our swap is shaping up nicely. We will need a covered dish of some kind, Linda is making Sloppy Joes this year, I will be bringing a side dish and the buns. I will also bring the plates and plastic ware. We will have everthing set up probably on Friday evening, that's when I plan on taking my plants down. We are probably going to do a door prize, like last year, everyone who brought something for a doorprize when into a hat and we picked that way. I need to come up with a door prize myself yet. I sure hope this weather cools down, I want to divide more hosta to bring. New ones this year, some of my large hosta I divided in the spring and they are doing great, they have been there pot all summer.

See ya soon,

Cathy

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services