Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajpa_gw

When will gardening start for you?

ajpa
15 years ago

Just wondering when everyone starts their gardening tasks?

Are you planting seedlings indoors now?

Are you buying seeds for outdoor planting now?

This is my first year to start a vegetable patch -- I have it laid out. I'm not brave enough to start seedlings indoors, so I will wait till I can plant outside. I wonder when that will be -- sometime in March, I guess (peas will be ok that eraly, right)?

Comments (23)

• stimpy926
    15 years ago

My tasks are year round. Pruning young trees yesterday. Chainsawing and hauling into a big pile a doz. of so large white pine branches felled during Dec. ice storm. Spraying repellant for deer (endless task) and rabbits. Chipping up small branches and perennial stalks piled from the summer (good winter work). Cutting down, burning the ornanmental grasses. And the continuing education courses at Longwood start up again in January, so I'll be doing another one later this month. I'm gardening in one way or another all year.

It's too early for starting the annuals and vegees now, wait til end of March (approx. 6 weeks before mid-May). If you have a spare flourecsent shop lite fixture, just find a way to suspend it over some plant cell packs, in such a way so you can adjust the height of it, as the plants grow. This is the only hard part. The light bulbs should be 4" away from the plants as they grow, set the lights to be on with a timer for 14 hours a day. It's very rewarding, even just seeing simple lettuce start. But don't bother with trying to start seeds on your windowsill, it will only dissapoint. Start small, build on success. Lettuce comes up in 4-5 days. Peas can be sown outside at St. Paddy's day, and better to sow direct as they don't transplant well. Other cool weather crops can be started then too, broccoli, spiniach, cilantro, scallions...

Generally the stores don't start displaying seed packs until about mid-February, but on-line companies sell them year round, such as Thompson & Morgan, Park's. There's many of them. If you pay and join the Hardy Plant Society Mid-Atlantic Div. you can get 25 packets of seeds, some rare and unusual, collected from co-members, for only $15.00, as well as free lectures, plant sales, trips. If interested contact http://www.hardyplant.org/

Here is a link that might be useful: googling for seeds

• ajpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cool! I have not heard of the Hardy Plant Society before. Thanks for the link!

• greengardener07
    15 years ago

Gardening never ends for me.

Check out the winter sowing forum. You can sow seeds now, put them outside and they will sprout and grow up like they would in nature. Friendly people and lots of great advice.

• gratefulgardener3300
    15 years ago

i second the winter sowing idea. I just put out about 50 milk jugs of flowers last week and still have at least 50 more to do. I haven't even got to the veggies yet. I'm deadheading some of the my flowers now and cleaning/sharpening my tools so they wil be ready for the spring.

• PRO
    Kestrel Shutters & Doors
    15 years ago

I can't do winter sowing too well around here because of all the squirrels. They think everything is either food....or hiding food.

Has anyone started any seeds inside yet with the baggie method? I think it might still be a bit too early but I'm thinking to move them outside into a cold frame in march. Sound reasonable or am I too hopeful?

Jim

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    15 years ago

I haven't even thought of starting anything yet.
    Jim- how about you put them out in the coldframe now? They sould be safe from squirrels there.

My idea of winter sowing is to scratch some seed into the ground some time in October or November. If I planted everything in containers I wouldn't be able to deal with all the transplants come springtime!

• PRO
    Kestrel Shutters & Doors
    15 years ago

Well I was planning to put them in the cold frame...except I never actually got the cold frame in to the ground this fall. The ground is a bit frozen to do it now. I can wait til marchish when the ground has thawed. Maybe if we get some warm weather in the next couple of weeks I'll get it together and just start the seeds in there.

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

i've been wintersowing as well. so far i've put out 35 containers and have plenty to go and will continue throughout the month. i'm still cleaning up outside, but that's an ongoing thing.

i did notice that lowe's has their seed displays up. although aj, you might want to check out the round robin or the seed exchange forums, where you can get some just for a SASE. are you looking for anything in particular?

what county are you gardening in?

maryanne

• ajpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Maryanne, I'm in Chester county (near Valley Forge Park).
    I noticed that the Sears HW I passed by had a Burpee seed stand up with everything 40% off.
    I'm hoping to plant a few veggies (first time) this year. I don't have that much space ready so if I can get dwarf or baby types that would be the best.

My wishlist:
    Peas, beans (haven't decided on bush vs pole).
    Some kind of green leafy thing.
    Okra, eggplants, hot peppers.
    Maybe tomatoes.
    Thinking about strawberries and blueberries (I actually just mailed a soil test to the extension office so they can tell me if I need to acidify the spot I want blueberries in.)
    One day I hope I can get a couple of small fruit trees, and maybe even a trellis I could grow grapes on -- wouldn't that be awesome? But that's the "some day" plan. :)

• greengardener07
    15 years ago

Jim (vlf420),

Last year was my first year wintersowing. Did not have a problem with the squirrels like I normally do with my bulbs.

The concept of winter sowing is simple: With each container that you sow seed in, you are creating a miniature greenhouse.

For example, take an ordinary gallon or even half gallon milk jug. Take a sharp utility knife and CAREFULLY poke holes into the bottom for drainage. Four usually works well.

Then stand the jug up and at about the half way point of the jug (just below the handle itself), CAREFULLY cut three of the four sides of the jug, leaving one side to act as a hinge.

Then add some "moist" potting mix (Do not use ordinary dirt or even the moisture potting mix as these will not work and you will not get sprouts!), sow the seeds as directed.

Then take a piece of duct tape, to secure the top of the jug to the bottom.

Label the jug accordingly. I use numbers and then keep a detailed list inside on a note pad. Easier than writing everything on a jug!

Then, place the jug outside, (with the cap off), where rain can get in the jug.

Now, wait.

As the soil dries out, add a little water as needed.

Again, wait.

As the weather gets warmer, you can open the hole where the cap was a little more and more so the sprouts do not fry.

For even more information try this website: www.wintersown.org

Once you start, you can stop!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    15 years ago

I've been giving some serious thought to the shop light set up. I might have to give it a try this winter in order to see some green inside the house... maybe I'll try some mixed greens for a little salad!

• chescobob
    15 years ago

In early February, I have to get some trees topped in the front of the woods because they threaten the house. After that, I hope to use the branches to add to my winter bird brush. If we get a 50 degree day towards the end of February, I'll cut my butterfly bushes down to stumps.

Early March, if we have any warmth, I will trim shrubs that will bloom in the Summer. Mid-March, my crosuses will bloom. Then daffodils and tulips. I've been waiting since October.

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

Hey, chescobob...I think of you every time I see the Red Bellied Woodpeckers and wonder how Red and Rosie are doing!

I think my "first" pair are gone but their son and grandson are here.

Don't frequent Bird Forum much anymore but always wonder about Red and Rosie...and rest of your yard "kids"...

Sorry to bust into the PA garden forum but check here sometimes since I'm in Zone 6 and saw a familiar "face".

Trying to get myself to start winter sowing without much success...lacking motivation this year and hate being trapped inside instead of being able to spend hours outside working on plants. Birds are eating me out of house and home but that's because I'm a sucker for them!

Want light set up very badly to start perennials with first year bloom. Not sure how long my father will stay in his house so kind of garden year to year instead of long term.

I'm actually glad when it snows so I can spend quiet time outside clearing driveway and walks for Dad...just lucky we don't get enough for it to be a huge project like so many this year.

Spring will come again and none too soon!

• chescobob
    15 years ago

newbie:

Well, wildlife is a part of gardening--at least for me. I plant things for the kids.

If you remember, Red met Rosey in March 2007. It was love at first sight. There are still 2 mated red-bellies here. I can't say that they are the original Red and Rosey but they sure are a pair. This Rosey seems to push Red around. They have been chasing and flying with each other since the leaves fell from the trees. One time this Winter both of them sat together in my cherry tree and squawked at me. They were demanding their breakfast. If one moves to a feeder, the other one will head for it too and block the other. They have a system of who eats first--and it seems to be Rosey. Rosey is a big eater. Red is still bossy and willing to beak the other birds (except for Rosey) if they interfere with his meal. They both squawk a lot but when they are next to each other they seem to chatter more.

Sasquawk (female Cooper's) is still here and she is magnificent. When she is in the air, I have to double check that it is her because of her size. I swear that when she flies through the woods the trees part to move out of her way. The past week or so a juvenile male Cooper's showed up and sat in Sasquawk's spot. I've been wondering if it is Sasquawk's son.

My abelia's still have leaves on them. These are partial evergreens "in the south" but I am surprised that they still have leaves here. My winterberries are being eaten but some berries remain on all 3 plants so I don't think there have been bluebirds in the area yet.

I'm about to go out and clear the snow now. I had everything clear last night when it started snowing again. Looking forward to the warm air over the weekend.

I stopped posting on the bird forum because it wasn't fun for me anymore.

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

Me neither, chescobob. Just want to "enjoy" my avian kids and not get into sparring about things. Enough of that in life already.

Only got 6.3 inches of snow but it just kept coming and it's easier to shovel a few times instead of trying to lift it up after it's all over.

New to the yard this winter are some Red Shouldered Crows. So much smaller than regular hulking crows but feisty eaters.

Great to "see" you!

• ajpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

greengardener, you are right about wintersowing -- it's addicting! I have 9 jugs out now ... scrounging around for more containers. :)

• greengardener07
    15 years ago

ajpa,

Drink milk and even more milk!

The Dollar Tree has lasagna baking pans with the clear plastic lids. Some people use them for wintersowing as they are deep enough and have a clear plastic lid. A couple of vent holes on the top to start and a few drainage holes on the bottom should work. I picked up a few myself to give them a try.

You will know you are really addicted when you look at everything and think you can use it for wintersowing. Somehow.....

• emlovestogrdn
    15 years ago

I got a little carried away by the "warm weather" last sunday and planted 452 cells of seed in my basement with 4 shoplights. Spring fever anyone? I have a ton of zinnias and dahlias sprouting already, I'm afraid of the re-potting I may have to do soon...

• stimpy926
    15 years ago

emlovestogrdn, you sound like me a few years ago...whoa whoa...lol.. maybe we'll have an early warm-up this year so you can get them outside sooner :)

• tmtmom
    15 years ago

I notice seed packs being sold everywhere already- everyone trying to get ahead of their competitors I guess- and this year I promised myself to buy early. Last year I shopped around, compared prices, mulled over the choices, and- lo and behold- half the things I wanted were sold out by the time I was ready. I think the economy has people planting "victory gardens" Not exactly the Victory Garden of the '40s though; all the interesting mescluns and heirloom tomatoes and exotic, "gourmet" varieties of everything were the first to go...lol..So, even if you're not ready to plant, at least buy the seeds now while the choices aren't limited!

• ajpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tmtmom, I had the sad experience of seeing the blueberry bush I wanted already sold out (online) when I was ready to order last week. :(
    I should have placed my order in Jan. So I had to get my second choice. Oh well.
    Speaking of seed packets -- anyone seen any little ornamental hot pepper or Thai pepper seeds on a seed rack? All I've seen so far are a mix (Burpee).

• greengardener07
    15 years ago

I heard/read somewhere recently that Burpee's profits last year went up 20% from the prior year. They are expecting another increase this year due to the economy.

The moral here: Get your seeds and get your seeds early!

• simplemary
    15 years ago

Winter sowing sounds totally cool. We lost all our fruit trees in one area last year to age & blight, so I now have masses of sun, so first I've got to move all the shade plants out of the way....

Finally saw the first shoots of crocuses. No snow drops yet, but the lenten roses are really greening up & standing up again. Brought inside forsythia & peach twigs for forcing--kids think mom's kinda nuts for putting vases of twigs everywhere.

Now it's snowing again & really really windy. *sigh*

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery