Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chescobob

First Coyote

chescobob
17 years ago

Some in the Philadelphia area may have heard of a coyote in the northern suburbs in the last week or so. We had a first sighting in our area this past week.

A neighbor had her small dog out in the back yard which is adjacent to farmland and woods. She went out front to get her newspaper, and when she returned, she found a coyote sizing up her dog as a meal. Fortunately, she had a smaller terrier who immediately barked at the coyote and made it back off.

Comments (9)

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

Coyotes are all around in the more secluded wooded areas. They tend to by shy and approach developed areas at night or when things are quiet. Anyone that thinks they don't have coyotes needs to spend a night sleeping outside in a tent, and they will wake up to the sound of coyotes in the middle of the night.

There is another group of canines that are wild dogs and mixes of coyotes and wild dogs. They are more bold and tend to live in developed areas. They usually travel in smaller groups.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission estimated that stateÂs mid-1990s population at 20,000-30,000 animals. Some reports of coyotes may be feral dogs that resemble the wild ones or may be coyote-dog mixes known as coydogs. However, a study done in the early 1980s by examining the carcasses of coyotes caught inadvertently by trappers showed that the great majority of the animals were indeed specimens of Canis latrans.

At first impression, the coyote resembles a small German Shepherd Dog, but yellow eyes, black lines on the legs, and a cylindrical, low hanging tail are distinguishing characteristics. HeÂs smaller than the wolf but has the same muscular appearance and protective coat of his cousin. In keeping with the general biological principle that northern varieties of species are larger than their southern counterparts, coyotes vary in size from 25 pounds in Mexico to 75 pounds in the mountains and the northern reaches of their range. Eastern coyotes vary from 35-55 pounds with males considerably larger than females. Length from stem to stern, including the bushy tail, can exceed five feet; height is up to 26 inches at the shoulder.

The coyote coat has guard hairs to protect him from the weather and a thick undercoat for insulation. Body coat color varies from brownish yellow to reddish gray, with darker colors more common in the northern reaches of the territory. Legs, feet, and ears are rusty, and underparts are whitish. The tail has a black tip. His long legs, pointed muzzle and upright, pointed ears complete the picture.

Like dogs, coyotes have four canine teeth, two upper and two lower, for grabbing and holding prey. The canines are not as sharp as those of a large cat. The premolars behind the canine teeth assist in tearing chunks of meat from larger prey. Canids also have molars for chewing, but these teeth donÂt get much workout unless the animal is crunching bones or eating small, hard objects such as nuts.

Skeletal structure, muscles, and the tendons and ligaments that bind the package together are geared to survival. The coyote can run down his prey, leap and twist to follow rabbit and rodent, and lope for hours without tiring.

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

I live in the northern suburbs but hadn't heard of the coyote. Where exactly was it?

I saw one about ten years ago, loping across a field near Milford NJ in Hunterdon County. I pulled my car over to watch it, as did a couple of other people. It looked like a wolf! Very confident and wild-looking, head up and moving smoothly across a ridge as if it knew exactly where it was going. It wasn't as dog-like as I'd imagined. Lighter and leggier but still surprisingly large.

• bella_trix
    17 years ago

My parents live in Bedminster and have a large pack living near their farm. The coyote's singing at night is beautiful, but a little unnerving. If you are in the area and have cats or small dogs, now would be the time to make them indoor or outdoors-supervised pets. I recently moved back from California. Out there, coyotes commonly prey on the neighborhood cat population. I've heard stories of female coyotes in heat luring small male dogs away, only so the male coyote can kill them for a meal. A little dog is a snack in their eyes. From what my mom's said, they've only moved into the area in the last few years.

Bellatrix

• chescobob
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The attack was by a rabid coyote in Palmer Township which is near Allentown/Easton. The Phila. stations covered it and I thought it was closer to Phila.

Coyotes have been seen in all counties of PA. They are part of our lives. Out here, I noticed some large cat tracks in the mud a couple of years ago. It must have been a bobcat. We also have plenty of eagles. One eagle was seen feasting on a family cat.

The only time I ever saw a coyote was just outside of Albuquerque. I was running and noticed it in the distance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Palmer Township Coyote

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

A rabid coyote? Hmm, that's scary. I'm paranoid about rabies.

• longlegggs
    15 years ago

Mont Clare, PA. (montgo) We have a visiting coyote; lays in the garden, maybe watching for rabbit, etc., has no fear of us. Beautiful animal.

• rebow
    15 years ago

I used to hear them in CA and they sound like a pack of devils. Heard them here once (Schuylkill Twp.)

• ajpa
    15 years ago

Wow, I didn't know. I have never seen one around. (I'm also in Schuykill Twp)
    Anytime I hear a noisy canine at night I always think it must be one of the neighbors' dogs.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

I live near Tyler Park and my neighbor has seem a pair of them several times over the last few months. It is always late at night... usually after midnight (he works second shift and is coming home at that time).

Certainly a cause for concern for the local cat population.

Alexa

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals