Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

Ilex Nellie R Stevens

greyandamy
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

I'm been trying to do lots of research on the above mentioned holly. It seems to be one of those...almost...a tad marginally hardy??? Though almost all sites say zone 6. I like "her" in photo's and readings as a windbreak and fast growing/privacy. However, I'm afraid to spend More money on a tree that may perish if we have an exceptionally cold winter. (I heard on one site she's not good if temps go below zero, which occasionally I'm sure we may have in some years). She would be a windbreak, so a protected spot (if an abnormally cold year) isn't an option.

Do any of you around this area (SE PA??) have one that's been fine for you over the years? If not, is there any evergreen faster growing holly for a windbreak that's "better" for our zone?

Thanks for any replies!

I have some of the meservae, they don't like winter winds I've seen. Deer like them.

THANKS!!

AMy

Comments (2)

• Mike Larkin
    12 years ago

I dont know that hollies grow all that fast. I have seen Nellie Stevens grow in the Harrisburg area. ( we are now zone 7a - was 6b )
    I would consider a planting that included a variety of conifers. What do you want to screen and how much space do yo have to plant. Full sun, part sun, wet soil dry....

arborvitae seem to be ok with deer.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• greyandamy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike,

HGi, THANKS SO MUCH FOR GETTING BACK!!!!! sorry so long in delay, nellie reportedly is fast growing and great for windbreaks. Further reading claims she needs protection winter winds (there goes windbreak theory). I've had POOR luck with conifers, most died,blue spruces/norway spruces are out, too many diseases where I live. Arbs (occidentalis) reportedly don't live too long in this climate (like it a bit cooler).. I never tried other kinds of arbs. I want something not too susceptible to diseases, esp. as various fungi are killing half my garden here. Abies concolor i have, that's it for windbreak at present. I'd take anything else, most E.G's need wind protection... Screening, my goodness, too much to afford, space, a lot but gotta watch money now... Full and part sun, both types of soil... main EGS for screening listed for this part of PA (Pittsburgh area) from Penn state are I believe Pines (but then I read they shouldn't be grown this area- pine blister- it's killed so much).. and norway spruce (again, susceptible to numerous diseases, after a loss of 4 I'm too afraid.. Concolor abies (I'm getting from forest farm)... and some say Nellie R stevens, but messsages conflicting. I always thought arbs needed protection from winds? Just some??

ANY feedback helpful, for now may just have to be some trees I'm getting (decidous), the winds are rough here due to my house, others houses, windtunnels.... few landscape around here so there's not much shade, privacy, anything...

The man beside me is on raised area (my yard drops about 5 feet under his), the lady behind has steep yard with no trees, winds sweep down, erosion and rain from all for sides, messy complicated situation...

house beside just has 2 screaming babies and 2 dogs that are vocal..

Amy

Sponsored