Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_larkin

Garden Center Road Trip

Mike Larkin
18 years ago

I am planning a road trip near Longwood /Kennet Square area. I am from Harrisburg. Want to visit garden centers or nurseries. I have been to Styers, and to Dilworth and to Waterloo. Would like to try ohter places. Any suggestions on Nursery or Garden Centers within 50- 70 miles range. WOuld like to visit several in one day. Can drive futher -

Thanks Mike

Comments (12)

• stimpy926
    18 years ago

Here's one that chescobob posted awhile back, their prices are great

Here is a link that might be useful: Groff's

• chescobob
    18 years ago

When is your visit? Some are closed around here.

• Mike Larkin
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I would wait until they were open. The purpose of the trip is to visit Longwood then go shopping. I guess may - june - July.

• chescobob
    18 years ago

Plantman:

As you know, Longwood is on Route 1. If you go a bit more east, you will see Route 52 into Delaware. Winterthur is down there about 20 minutes from Longwood. They have a site you can view.

Since you will be on Route 1, you can catch the nurseries out this way on your way back to Harrisburg.

I would stop at Groff's off of Route 472. It has nice plants depending on when you visit. Last year, it took until mid-summer for them to show some plants. However, they usually have some nice prices. There are other nurseries out here too and some on Route 472 north of Kirkwood.

The one I use for shrubs is on Route 10, just 100 yards north of Route 1. It is on the right and you can see it as you make your north turn onto Route 10 from Route 1. I think it is called Britestar. The trick with them is their sales. Normally they are 40 percent off in mid-Summer. I have purchased 3 Dragon Lady hollies there--among about 80 other plants. For comparison, without a sale, Britestar sells Dragon Ladies for about $60 vs. about $150 at Styer's which is East of Route 202 on Route 1.

Keep posting here about your trip and I will check other nurseries in this area.

If you want some diversions on your trip, let me know. There is an interesting little town out here--Strasburg--and just north of that on Route 896 and Route 30 is Rockvale Square Outlets.

• Mike Larkin
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have been to a small nursery in Oxford PA - Dilworth - Nice conifers
    I have also been to a small GH nursery near Lancaster off 322 called Martins - This is a great place and the owners is very helpful. Lots of perennials - no shrubs.

Have been to Winterthur- Actually prefer to Longwood. Not as big - but the plantings are great.

Last time I went I stopped at a nursery or two along the way - but forget what they were called - was coming from Harrisburg area - Old age I guess.

• gillian_
    18 years ago

Over on the Hosta forum someone posted a link to a place I have on my "must visit" list for this summer. If you are into hostas at all you may want to add this place to your road trip.

Here is a link that might be useful: Teich and McCoglan Daylilies and Hostas

• Mike Larkin
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, a little out of the way from Longwood -- but a ncie place.

• johnfromperrycopa
    18 years ago

Go to Perry County (just off of Rt 74 North, south of Ickesburg) to Greenwood Nursery. As you proceed North on Rt 74, there is another route that intersects there (either Rt 849 or 850). If coming from Harrisburg, it would be easier to come across the ridge through Newport (Rt 34 exit from Rt 322/22) even with all the road construction going on in Newport. I can give more exact instructions later. I think I even have them stored somewhere on my computer.

• Mike Larkin
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks John - I am pretty close to Greenwood Nursery( HBG) Have not made it there yet. But would love to try this summer.

Last year I did a garden center road trip, using your suggestions for some nurseryies in the Chamersburg, Carlisle area And it was great.
    Wanted to travel towards Longwood, and then on the way home stop at a bunch of Nurseries.

Usually I stop at Roots, and and great place called Martins. Already did Waterloo, and Styers. Needed some new places to go Mike

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Plantman, if you like roses, the Del-Chester Rose Society has their annual rose show at Longwood the second Saturday in June. Enjoy your trip!

• johnfromperrycopa
    18 years ago

Mike: Did you do a seminar on Hypertufa at the Pa Garden Expo at the Farm Show Bldg last year? I think if my feeble memory is actually coming back, we talked and I took in your presentation. If you ever want someone to share gas money for one of your "road trips", let me know. I would love to tag along and split the costs. Let me know when you want to visit Greenwood Nursery (Spring is a good time) and I will get you there. Sounds like we both like going on these road trips. Three-dollar/gallon gas - no problem when it comes to curing Spring Fever and our addiction to Garden Centers. Did you ever find the former Appalachian Nursery near Waynesboro? I would love to buy some small plants for potting/lining out. Now that I have my flagpole in place and the walkway outlined with a mini-wall, I need some plant material for the foundation plantings. I would like to make/buy some planters as well to sit at the top of the steps and along the top of the knee-wall around the walkway. Are you selling your hypertufa planters?

• Mike Larkin
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes I did remember talking-- I am doing Hypertufa Demo again on Friday at this years EXPO. An also doing a dwarf conifer container demo's on Sat and Sun. I had lots of fun last year. The list of speakers is going to be really good this year . Lots of good gardening info.

I sold some of the troughs through a local Mechanicsburg garden center - also did a class there. It is fun working with a group making Hypertufa- its like playing in mud-

I have not made it to Appalachian Nursery near Waynesboro - no time, but it is on my list.

Will keep you updated on date we go on field trips. Good to have you along.

Longwood does trips like this - and they take you on a bus to various nurseries - it is a GREAT field trip - A van follows the bus for all the plant purchases -

Check it out-

Mike

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH