Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My hellebores have buds!

Posted by audrey z5 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 4, 07 at 12:10

I know hellebores usually do bloom in mid-winter in England. It's why they are sometimes called Christmas Rose. But mine here in western PA usually have enough sense to wait for spring. Our unusually mild winter, though, has apparently convinced them that they're in a completely different zone!

People used to think that flowers which bloomed outside their season were bad luck. In fact, even dreaming about certain posies outside of their natural season was a bad omen. Probably because disease was thought to spread more rapidly when the weather was unusually warm. ("A green Christmas means a full graveyard.") Which was no doubt true if people got out and around more because of the balmy temperatures. But I'll consider it bad luck if everything blooms early, and we have a bare Easter!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My hellebores have buds!

lol. I just ran out and checked my hellebores. They're not blooming. So far no bad omens. But, I have to say I'm not one to be superstitious.

o

My roses are leafing out, and there is color on the buds of my peach trees.

Not good.

o

My hellebores are blooming! Roses have sprouted, too. I don't like this weather, but we've had warm Januarys before, I just don't recall any!

o

this is the second year for my hellebores (green flowers) and they bloom in January (are now too), did last year in the snow too. I think there are different varieties that bloom at different times.

o

Mine are starting to bloom too.

o

All of my H. foetidus (Stinking hellebore) are in full bloom, and I also have open blooms on some H. x hybridus (lenten Rose) plants. Many folks over here in eastern PA have H. niger (Christmas Rose) in bloom also, though mine are not blooming this season for some reason. All together, the season appears about 2 months early for us as regards hellebores. I have many H. foetidus and H. argutifolius seedlings already sprouted, although these generally jump up in late march, not january.

George

o

My Camellia Bush had some beautiful blooms around Christmas.-----still has a lot of buds but they look frozen. It was difficult to get good picture--it was close to the ground and the sun was shining directly into the camera.

Florence/zeffyrose

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here