Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stimpy926

It's like Springtime out there

stimpy926
18 years ago

The chickadees are going 'chik-a-dee-dee-dee', lol, and the sun is warm, no wind. It's making me long for April, and it's so far away....

Comments (22)

• chescobob
    18 years ago

I drove by Conard-Pyle (Star Plants & Roses) today on Routes 1 and 796 and they had their tents up--many with the doors on. They must be getting ready for Spring.

• caliloo
    18 years ago

It is absurdly warm! I can't believe all my daffs and crocuses are poking up already. There are half a dozen dandelions blooming in my yard.

My only concern is things breaking dormancy and then we get a deep freeze in Feb/Mar. Sigh.

I am soooooo ready for spring after this big tease!

Alexa

• gardenguy_
    18 years ago

This is the coolest weather we SHOULD have every winter. I've been in heaven since we've got this warm spell, and starting tonight, we will dip back down in the the garbage pail temperatures. Winter never did mankind any good what so ever.

• mombo
    18 years ago

Because it is Saturday this is a day my husband and I do our errands etc. We had to go to a town about 25 miles from our house and we were gone about two hours til we finished. When we left it was 50 degrees and by the time we got back it was 32 degrees and snowing. YIKES!!

• stimpy926
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The only good thing cold temps do is to kill them bugs.

• mwoods
    18 years ago

Well,right now on Sat. night in Bucks County,it's cold and the wind is fierce. it took a tree down in the woods a few hours ago and I'm a little nervous about what else I'll find in the morning when I take a walk around. Anyone else having this wind?

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

yes, the wind certainly is fierce! i think i'll be doing a morning walk-around also, chainsaw in hand, gathering future firewood. this is assuming that i can actually fall asleep tonight. not long ago, it sounds like a large branch fell on the roof. the ground is so mushy from all the precipitation this season, so i'm really nervous about trees near the house!

• chescobob
    18 years ago

I checked for wind gusts and we just had one at 49 mph. This is supposed to continue into tomorrow afternoon.

I'm sure we had some over 50 mph here.

• naturenut_pa
    18 years ago

they HAD to be over 50 mph last night. talk about a sleepless night, running from one window to the next, watching the trees sway back and forth.
    a tree next to the house was topped and it hit the house about 2 AM, damaging the siding. i just knew that *something* had to happen.

• chescobob
    18 years ago

Naturenut:

I'm sorry to hear about your house. I have some large trees in the woods out back and I think I am going to get the tops of some cut so they cannot reach the house if they fall.

I am on top of a hill with the back of the house facing the west. For the past 12 hours it has sounded as if I have been in the path of a continuous line of freight trains. My wrought iron chairs on the deck were shaking last night.

I'm about ready to go nuts here. I think this wind is supposed to end tonight.

• marcia_m
    18 years ago

Only 18 degrees here this morning--I guess spring is over for a while! But the sun is shining. We need that. Sorry to hear about your siding damage, naturenut.

• geoforce
    18 years ago

Luckily the winds don't bother me much. Our home is on a steep eastern slope with tall hills on N,W, and S. Only a strong wind from directly NE reaches us at all. I was seeing trees topple all around on the ridgelines though, and the noise was very loud.

George

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

I've been cowering indoors, these winds are freaking me out. My husband was on a business trip this past Saturday, and once the wind started roaring I couldn't sleep at all. I got up around 5 am and turned on all of the lights.

This morning was super-windy, too. Luckily the only damage has been lost siding from the barn. And two Adirondack chairs were knocked over and thrown a good ten feet, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that.

• blueheron
    18 years ago

It was in the 50's again today with lots of rain. I'm afraid the seeds I winter sowed will sprout. Especially the lupines, which love to sprout in cool weather. sigh...

PS - Paula, as you can see, I am able to log in. What a frustrating two weeks!

• chescobob
    18 years ago

I noticed my Winter Daphne is thinking about blooming. Just like last December, it will open up and get frozen by a Winter freeze.

• stimpy926
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I've been thinking about you Paula, jeez.. 2 wks??

Unbelieveable out there today...Jan 21, and it was almost 70 at noon...I've almost finished scraping sod away for a new hosta area I've started.

If this weather keeps the oil delivery man away.. fine!!

• Nayls142
    18 years ago

My Hamamelis vernalis is blooming. I'll have to get some pics online. Not to mention all the bulbs comming up, and the (invasive) lesser cellandine poking its head up. I do remember in the winter of 2001-2002 I had crocus blooming before the end of January, I'll have to see if we can do that again.

• stimpy926
    Original Author
    18 years ago

...and it continues.. was outside at lunch today, it's wonderful, in the sunlight it feels like 70 degrees. We should be having winter though :-/

• chescobob
    18 years ago

I spent the day at Longwood. It was nice.

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    18 years ago

All this warm weather is great as far as scary heating bills are concerned, but I have to admit that it makes me even more concerned about global warming.
    Wondering about this warm winter, I came across an interesting forum on the Farmer's Almanac with a guy who forecasts weather based on planetary postiions. He's claiming that there is a major change in the works at this point in time leading into February. Guess we'll see since it has been unbelievably mild here compared to what other areas of the US (mountains) have been experiencing. I really do love the look of a beautiful snow cover in the country...

• katybird_PA
    18 years ago

It is weird, but there is nothing Global about it. If you look at what is happening on the other side of the globe, they are having record low temps... very brutal winter over there.

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

I'll take a nice warm January, after those single-digit temps in December.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz