Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elegance108

Hello from a Pittsburgh area newbie!

Elegance108
12 years ago

Hi!

I just joined garden web today. I am interested in hearing from other PA gardeners.

Happy New Year!

Diane

Comments (9)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    12 years ago

Welcome!
    It's been quiet around here lately but things always wake up when spring gets a little closer. Right now I'm just trying to cope with the fact that winter did come after all..... unless it was just a drive by snowfall and fall is coming back next week.
    Frank

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    12 years ago

Hi ! I am from Pittsburgh too.i check here from time to time but I am mostly at the cottage garden forum. There are lots of pictures for inspiration there, if that's your style of gardening. Do you have a style or particular interest for your garden?
    I love checking out local nurseries . I frequent mctighes on rt 8, michael brothers in cheswick, best feeds in north ills and every lowes and home depot in between. I hope you have fun with your garden!

• greyandamy
    12 years ago

Hi, I'm from North Pittsburgh. This forum has been quiet, but I'm always on browsing others. You'll learn a ton, perhaps get addicted. Since your new to PA, does that mean you get to start a whole new garden? Big plans?

Welcome
    amy

• Robbie3
    12 years ago

I am also a Pgh area new member. Loving the great information on this site so far! I will be hanging out in the vegetable garden forums quite a bit. I have quite a bit of experience in all areas of gardening and landscaping in this area so hopefully I can help a bit as I learn too. I worked at the Best Feeds in North Hills for quite some time, lilyfinch! My plans are always larger that I can seem to accomplish! Looking forward to this season.

• Melissa Mc (6b)
    12 years ago

Hi there-

I'm around a bit and also from Pittsburgh, South Hills to be exact.

I have had great luck with Chapon's greenhouse--they know their stuff.

Mainly into roses but hubby also has a garden (when he can keep the groundhogs out!)

12 years ago

Robbie, we probably met or passed each other then! I used to always stop by after work,as I passed it on my way home and wanted to avoid traffic. Now I work elsewhere and it's a trip for me to go but I still enjoy going there occasionally!
    Vampy girl, I grow lots of roses, too! What kinds do you grow? I love old garden roses, David Austin's and a few floribundas are in mine.
    It's nice to chat with some neighbors!!

• October_Gardens
    12 years ago

Hey just saw this post. I live in Verona and frequent many places around the area also. My specialties are flowering shrubsshouldn't such as hydrangeas and roses, plus all sorts of other things in ornamental perennial gardening. I have been a homeowner for 4 years and have been developing a once-was blank landscape into almost 3000 square feet of sun and shade border gardens.

PA gardening has its usual challenges such as weeds and large areas of unusable clay soil. But the more things you grow the more compost you can make, and can use to remix or refill beds with much better soil.

12 years ago

Spring wood , do you own spring wood gardens? I also live in Verona, rose dale to be exact. What roses do you grow? They are my favorite, and I haven't met many folks around here with more than knockouts. Nice to meet a neighbor!

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

Hey!

Nope, the name is after my street (which I suppose is named after the conference center and estate) - it's the 2-mile long col de sac with offshoots. There are many nice gardens here; my neighbors and I share ideas as well as plants. Mine is at the first large maple on the right, just before the 2nd stop sign. Feel free to come walk the street sometime; people have done some very nice things with their landscapes.

As of now, The roses I have include about 3 or 4 hybrid teas (double delight, oregold, etc.), a couple of climbers, Amber and Scarlet carpet roses, a Home Run, and a Moje Hammarberg rugosa. I intend to get some more climbers because they really seem to take off quicker than regular teas. I of course also have all the knockouts minus "Rainbow" which seems to be only at finer nurseries at this time.

Sponsored