Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diykestrel

HUGE White Grubs

I was just outside with one of my children digging up some bugs for a bug habitat he received for Christmas. I broke open an old rotten stump and inside we found some of the largest grubs I have ever seen. Picture a bloated piece of rotini pasta that is over 2" long when relaxed and over 1/2" thick with large ridges. I've been doing searches on all types of sites and even tried Google Images with no luck. There were two of these that we found but could be more. We also saw a couple of large holes about 1/2" diameter boring up through the base of the trunk.

Anyone have any ideas what these could be?

thanks!

Jim

Comments (2)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    12 years ago

Try googling 'green June beetle grubs'.... I think they eat rotting wood or other organic material as grubs, but I didn't look into it too much so im not sure. There are a couple large beetles that they could be but the June beetle was the only one I could come up with. Actually there's a big scary black beetle that it probably is, but I can't think of a real name for it.... We just called them all June beetles! Lol
    Good luck

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    12 years ago

.... Ok looks like the green j beetle is more southern PA and lives more in lawns. I've seen grapevine beetles around and they also have huge grubs.... Grubs that grow up in rotting stumps and other organic material. There's still one other big beetle I was thinking of, it's the big black one with big eyes and I can't seem to find it.