Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Happy New Year!

Posted by gardeningwithlcgrace NE PA (gardeningwithlcgrace@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Jan 1, 08 at 17:18

I haven't been here since the drought choked my garden last summer. I vowed that I would not be putting in a garden this year. A few days ago, I was walking around outside and planning on where the wood for the "new" raised garden should go! Oh Man! here we go again!

On the flip side, I Winter Sowed a tray of foxgloves last winter and had quite a few very strong plants. They've taken off! The plants were very healthy and strong. The flowers come this year? right? Will they come back at all after that or are they finished?

I don't know if I'll start my own flowers & veggies this year or not. I guess it all depends on "if" the raised garden comes at tax time.

Hope you all have had a wonderful & happy holiday season! LC Grace

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Happy New Year!

Hi LC Grace,

Sorry you had such a bad time with the drought. Things kind of went downhill in my yard too. It's hard to stay motivated when it's too hot to move and you see all your efforts go down the tube, but this year may be entirely different. NEVER GIVE UP! Amending the soil will help, as will deep, infrequent waterings to encourage the root systems to go deeper. Are you putting in raised beds for veggies? If so, I'd invest in a drip system or soaker hoses as well. They do a better job of watering - less evaporation and no problems with fungus due to water sitting on leaves.

Your foxgloves will be lovely in bloom this summer, I'm sure! Then they'll throw out new seeds which will bloom in two years. I'd get more seeds sown this year if I were you - then you'd have blooms next year from this years' sowing and after that they should establish themselves. I say should, because I've had a hard time getting them established in my yard yet my non-gardening neighbor has a beautiful stand of foxgloves in her back yard without any effort at all! Every year I mutter bad words under my breath when I see her foxgloves in bloom...

Take care, and you're still welcome to stop by any time!

o
RE: Happy New Year!

Hi guys!
I'm also thinking spring already.... and I can't even remember all the bad things that happened last year. Drought? Did we even have one? I think I already managed to completely forget about the dead plants and dried up grass.

I have a drip system for my pots and last year put one on my tomatoes. It's awesome, The pots are always bursting with flowers and the tomatoes did exceptionally well even with the horrible soil prep. It's the steady water that does the trick. Let me know if you want any ideas for a system. Mine was easy and the most expensive part was the timer which I think I paid $25 for (and later found the same one for $14 at ALDIS (?!))

If I didn't have the system my pots would all be dead by the 1st of July. I'm a bad waterer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here