Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zinniafan

What is my best bet for purchasing unusual flowers in PA?

zinniafan
16 years ago

Hello all and Happy New Year!

I have only been gardening a few years, but would like to try some plants that my local greenhouse does not carry-- I live in rural central PA.

I was thinking of ordering some perrenials that are hard to find through a catalog: manhattan poppies(purple), double coneflower (razzmatazz), royal heritage helleborus, and globe thistles (echinops).

Spring Hill Nurseries, Burpee, and Jung Quality Seeds all offer some of the varieties mentioned above, but none offer all of them. I am considering ordering from one of them-- it seems like spring hill will send the most plants for the least cost, and that all have good return policies. What are your thoughts?

Do you know of a local place where I could likely find these items? I visited the Philly Flower Show and Longwood Gardens last year, which were amazing and showed many unusual varieities, but didn't really seem to sell this type of thing. Is there a place in central PA that carries unusual varieties?

I'm also thinking if I get to my local greenhouse earlier, maybe a month before the last frost, they may have more of what I am looking for-- but how to keep my plants healthy until the danger of frost is gone? For these reasons I have thought Spring Hill my best bet, but would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you! Sincerely, Zinnia Fan

Comments (5)

Sponsored