Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diykestrel

Help! I started me seeds too early.

Okay, I am not really sure what I was thinking but I started a bunch of seeds right around new years day. Not sure if it was the warm weather, the fact that my wife and I just had twins and I was feeling like giving birth to plants or maybe it was the lack of sleep from just having twins. Either way I now have a couple dozen sunflowers that are between 4" and 8", some tri-color beans that are 10"+ and various lupines and larkspur around 3" to 4"...and it's not even February yet.

I can put the beans in some pots but looking closer at the seed packets I see they should be ready for picking in..oh...about a month. What do I do? pollentate the flowers with qtips?

I thought about a cold frame but it would have to be a few feet tall for some of those sunflowers I think.

Any thoughts...other than that fact that I'm an idiot? lol

Thanks,

Jim

Comments (8)

• kathy_
    18 years ago

Aw Jim - you made my day! I needed a giggle.
    I can "see" you checking every morning and being dismayed how tall those sunflowers are getting and how much the beans are growing.
    As far as the sunflowers go you could check with gradeschool teachers and see if they want one for in their classroom.
    I would probably pinch the heck out of those beans and you should have a crop about 3 hours after you plant - lol.
    The Larkspur will just get tall and mine did not take up much room so you should be OK there.
    Lupines are someone else's territory.
    Know any friends with a greenhouse?
    BTW I am starting my tomato, coleus and ageratum plants as soon as I get the seeds I ordered last week.
    I get tired of having small plants when the greenhouse plants come in.
    The greenhouses here have already seeded and I have nice sunny windows.
    Good luck!

• mwoods
    18 years ago

I'm wondering if you can't cut the larkspur back to nothing and then plant them. I was walking around yesterday and I have larkspur sprouting up all over the property. I'm sure we'll probably get some snow and ice before it's all said and done but it won't hurt them at all. Maybe you could take some of it and try. If you do,let us know what happens.

• katybird_PA
    18 years ago

I'd just put the larkspur out in the garden. At least where I am the ground is far from frozen. I have little larkspur coming up everywhere. I imagine the cold will keep them in check. If you can't put them out I'd just keep them as cold as you possibly can. I can't speak to any of the other plants.

• tastefullyjulie
    18 years ago

Sorry, I can't help you I just wanted to thank you for this post!

I started some seeds Feb 6th that were supposed to take 21 days to germ. (chicory and cupid's dart) and they're already growing. I was panicking but it feels better knowing I'm not alone.

• hoehum
    18 years ago

Congratulations on the twins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lupine wants to go deep fast. Cold won't hurt it as long as you ease it outside. If you have an unheated attic, basement, hall, etc. that's warmer than outside but colder than the house, move the Lupins there for a day so they don't suddenly go from 70 to 30 in a matter of minutes. Then move them outside. If you can't dig in the garden, put them in a pot at least 6" deep, 12" is even better.

When my kids were little, we planted beans inside and even got a pod or 2. I think they self polinate to a point - Q-tips would work.

• mwoods
    18 years ago

So what I want to know is what do your sunflowers look like? How tall are they now? LOL

• PRO
    Kestrel Shutters & Doors
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Weeeellllll...everything is still growing. The larkspur are actually more comapct than I thought they would be so that's fine. I'm going to put together a cold frame and ease them out somepoint soon.

The beans I transplanted and are now happily sitting on a ledge near the kitchen table and in another pot on the table. Pretty flowers that I am planning on taking a q-tip to tonight to see what happens.

The sunflowers are...well...getting pretty tall. The tallest type are 18" tall so atleast the twins are still taller. I was thinking about placing them out in a coldframe (the sunflowers, not the twins) but it would have to be the world's tallest coldframe. Maybe I should just put some sides up around our glass top patio table. lol

Thank you all for your thought and suggestions.

Out of curiosty, anyone know of a plant swap in the SE PA area? I'm about halfway between Harrisburg and Philly.

Thanks again!

Jim

• zeffyrose
    18 years ago

I just wanted to say congratulations . How are the twins.

The last time I started seeds indoors they got too leggy too fast.

We had a lot better success whan my DH set up some shelves with lights.

You received some very good advice !!

thanks for your funny story. and good luck with your babies.

Florence

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone