Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimmy56_gw

Vegetable Seed

Checking out the new Gurney's catalog and noticed prices have gone way up, Went to order 12 packs and they wanted 17.95 for shipping, So I cancelled my order, Time to look elsewhere, Any suggestions?

Comments (14)

• geosankie
    10 years ago

I've had good luck with Pinetree.

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Checking them out right now, thanks.

• kilngod
    10 years ago

I'm very pleased with:
    Baker Creek,
    Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, and
    Morgan County Seeds (in Missouri).

Great seed counts, enough for 2-3 seasons + trading as well (though Baker's bean counts are only enough for a single season). Very good prices and totally reasonable shipping.

Pinetree has very good prices for less seed count.

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kilngod, Thanks but I already ordered my seeds from Park Seeds but will keep those sites you suggested for later.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I've wrote down the names of the seed companies mentioned, but I wonder what they have that local stores in my area don't have. When I say local stores, I mean Wal-Mart, Kmart, Lowes, Home depot and some dollar stores.

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got some of my seeds at Wal-Mart but there is alot more variety at the companies web site, I also noticed that some of the packs cost more on the web but also they have more seeds per pack.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

Nice to know. But, chances are, all the rarer seeds, I have never heard of before. I finally have a greenhouse, small, unheated, but in April (maybe week 2) I can dare put out seedlings. Before all that, my basement will be where I start seeds out. I may try Okra this year and Brussels sprouts. Anyone else going to try something new?

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm going to try the Carolina Cross Watermelon, Turnips, Carrots, Brandywine Tomatoes and radishes this year.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

jimmy, or anyone, I may try watermelon for the first time this year. Maybe some cantaloupe again. The lopes and melons need started early in my area, not by too much, though. Brandywine tomatoes? I usually buy my tomatoes already started, cause I get the disease resistant hybrids. Are the Brandywine tomatoes regular or paste tomatoes Jimmy?

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Walmart seeds usually have about 25 seeds in the pack. Seed Saver Exchange has about 100 seeds per pack.for about the same price. And tons of more varieties and they are much better quality seeds. Open pollinated or organic. Shipping is cheap. Plus they give a good description of how to grow the seeds.

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

poaky, this is my first time for brandywine tomatoes, About every site I check recommend them as the best tomato for eating so I'm going to try them, I see your in zone 6 PA which is the same with me, I start my melon seeds in the garden around first or second week of may with no problems and I never had a problem starting my own seeds which is alot cheaper, Try this site, http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tomatoes/beefsteak/tomato-brandywine-pink-prod000974.html

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I started some Lopes, W Melon and cuke seeds already, and I am sorry I did. Well, the cukes are the Bush type so may be okay. The Lopes and W. Mel are growing fast and I see that I should have waited another month for them. The Brandywine may be available in a 4 or 6 pack in May locally here. I don't plant as much as some peeps on here I guess. I can see your point if you have a giant garden. I usually plant about 4 or 5 of everything. The cukes I plant 2 of, and have lots. The peppers and tomatoes, I plant 4 of each, maybe 6 tomatoes. I usually have to freeze and give away some of them also. That's with me eating them 2 or 3 a day, and my mom eating a couple a day, my dad and brother occasionally eating some.

• jimmy56_gw (zone 6 PA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My garden is about 35' x 75' feet, Usually I have about 12 tomato plants, 24 pepper plants, 4 rows of potatoes, 2 rows of beets, 6 rows of corn, 8 pickle hills, 2 rows of onions, 1 row of cauliflower, broccoli, pumpkins, melons and cabbage, 3 zucchinni plants, 8 foot row of spinach,, Hoping to plant my cauliflower, broccoli, spinach and cabbage tomorrow.

• kathleen57
    9 years ago

I like Bakers Creek seeds too! I think they have a good variety of seeds...all GMO free.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting