Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westhighlandblue

Spring Fever

westhighlandblue
17 years ago

The garden center at Home Depot received its first shipment, this weekend. There are only three reasons I did not load up the back of my truck with $300 in plants (Harry Lauder's Walking Stick, Star Magnolia, and a Weeping Pussy Willow). First, my husband would have me committed after he watched me chip away snow and ice in order to plant the darn things. Second, I did not really know where the heck I would put them. Third, I am trying to save my money for a new garden gate. Instead, I bought three flates of peat cups, and several packets of seed, and decided to get a head start on my annuals. Its cheaper, and it will keep me out of the County Hospital. Does winter have anyone else on the brink of insanity?

Comments (9)

• Patriz
    17 years ago

Oh, gosh, your post reminded me back in the fall season when the trees went on clearance..I was like a kid in a candy shop...lol. I mean, where the heck would I put another tree here? I had a weeping pussy willow in my cart, and it was only $15.00, but I found the strength to put it back :( I still dream of that lost weeping salix...lol. Anyway, the winter here is gonig pretty fast due to non-gardening projects, however, I dare not step foot in any store which sells plants right now, as my indoor tropicals are being rotated under lights due to lack of room, and I'm overwintering a beautiful start-shaped hydrangea shrub that I bought in late November fully in bloom and leafed out...yikes! My DH just shakes his head when he sees a live bush stocked up in our laundry room!
    Seeds are the saviors of our minds at times like these. I'm ready to break open my new Promix bale and get started with sowing. This week I'm really getting a dose of spring with the Phila. Flower Show training...yes! I really want to put the ice and snow behind me, so I'm wishfully going forth with my new spring mindset, that is, until the next winter storm comes knocking at my door. Then, you'll find me at HD with a full cart of trees and ice pick in hand!

• Patriz
    17 years ago

Oh, gosh, your post reminded me back in the fall season when the trees went on clearance..I was like a kid in a candy shop...lol. I mean, where the heck would I put another tree here? I had a weeping pussy willow in my cart, and it was only $15.00, but I found the strength to put it back :( I still dream of that lost weeping salix...lol. Anyway, the winter here is going pretty fast due to non-gardening projects, however, I dare not step foot in any store which sells plants right now, as my indoor tropicals are being rotated under lights due to lack of room, and I'm overwintering a beautiful star-shaped hydrangea shrub that I bought in late November fully in bloom and leafed out...yikes! My DH just shakes his head when he sees a live bush stocked up in our laundry room!
    Seeds are the saviors of our minds at times like these. I'm ready to break open my new Promix bale and get started with sowing. This week I'm really getting a dose of spring with the Phila. Flower Show training...yes! I really want to put the ice and snow behind me, so I'm wishfully going forth with my new spring mindset, that is, until the next winter storm comes knocking at my door. Then, you'll find me at HD with a full cart of trees and ice pick in hand!

• scrappyjack
    17 years ago

Yesterday wasn't too bad, but today!!!!! the temp right now is 42F !!!! I'm trying to see the snow melt! My mom gave me a bunch of Country Living Gardener magazines. I'm bitten by the bug now! I NEED to watch some plants grow! I'll have to get some seedlings started, and make some garden plans.

• naturenut_pa
    17 years ago

Harry Lauder's Walking Stick.....nice! I saw them in a catalog and I have GOT to get one someday.

This month has been so tough. Last night's rain left a smooth, shiny coat of ice on the snow. This morning I watched as the dog slid down the slope 4 times. I know that once I can see the ground, I'm gonna want to dig.

Yes, I've got spring fever also. Tired of seeing white, I need to see green!

• westhighlandblue
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dicentra: You post made me laugh out loud!

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

The birds think it's spring, too, lots of happy twittering lately. I'm planning to cut down the ornamental grasses today, always the first gardening chore of the new year. I might move and divide several of them this spring (ugh, they're huge).

And I've got my growlight tables cleaned and ready for peat pots. Now if I can just find the seed-packed stash...

• westhighlandblue
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pipe Carol: I planted my first ornamental grasses last year. What will happen if I don't cut them back?

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

Westhigh, they'll be fine without cutting. They might not look as fresh and green as trimmed plants, because last year's dried foliage will be mixed in with the new stems, but that's okay. The only real problem with not cutting them back is that the center of the plant might die out in a few years, I think because the old growth will shade it too much.

I use an electric hedge trimmer to cut the grasses each year, and use the cuttings for mulch around the plants. It's pretty quick work. I've even heard you can burn the old foliage away. A friend of mine tried it and the plant came back beautifully. Too scary for me, though.

• westhighlandblue
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pipe Carol -- This really helps, thanks. This is my first Spring with ornamental grass (Karly Rose). I think I will cut it back and mulch with the cuttings. Thanks again!

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional