Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadylady_pa

Flower Show Preview Day and Horticultural Society Membership?

shadylady_pa
18 years ago

Hi All,

I'm inviting a friend to go with me to the flower show this year, and I'm weighing the benefits of joining the Horticultural Society, which will give me free tickets to the preview day.

If anyone has gone, is it worth it? If the crowds are smaller, it will definitely be a plus to me! But is everything set up? What day is it exactly?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

• loretta5_gw
    18 years ago

Members preview day is this Saturday, March 4th from noon to 3:00 I believe. Check the time to be sure I'm correct. Yes the show is all set up and beautiful. While crowded, the crowd is much smaller and you will be able to get close to each exibit and get a good long look.

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

I am not a member but I've gone many times in both locations and personally I have found it to be less crowded on a monday afternoon and sunday afternoon of the closing day.

• hunt4carl
    18 years ago

Going to the Member's Preview may sound inviting, but here are some drawbacks:
    - Simply being a member DOES NOT guarantee you entrance
    to the Preview; that only comes with Full Household Member-
    ship or higher, and a year or two ago, that would have cost
    you $60 for a single ticket. That seems pretty steep compared to the mid-week entrance price of $22.
    - The Preview is relatively short,only three and a half hours this year; being a complete garden glutton, I prefer
    to spend an entire ten hour day there, bringing a complete
    picnic lunch, using the free Member's Lounge (big, over-
    stuffed armchairs, complimentary coffee and tea), the hand-
    stamping advantage which allows you to come and go from the
    building all day long, taking as many breaks as you like.
    - The worst crowds definitely thin out after 3:00pm; by
    6:00pm, it's a completely different experience, and you can take your time re-visiting those exhibits that first caught your eye.

I joined the PHS a number of years back, and discovered that the best deal was a dual associate membership - my $55
    gave me two (2) tickets to the show (a $44 value), and the
    extra $11 gave me free entry throughout the year to
    Chanticleer (an extraordinary garden outside Philly), free
    entry to the Fall Harvest Show, where you get a free plant,
    a great monthly newsletter, all kinds of discounts from
    nurseries and other suppliers. A good deal all around. . .

Carl

• shadylady_pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the advice!

I ended up joining as Household because White Flower Farm threw in a gift certificate to sweeten the deal and this coming Saturday is probably the best day for us to go. (Sunday is out of the question, and I don't want to wait until the second weekend when everything starts to look so tired. Childcare isn't really feasible for the weekday evenings).

I thought about the time limit, but I am the type of person who gets easily overwhelmed, and I haven't been able to spend more than a few hours at the flower show in the past anyway. My friend isn't a gardener, so she won't want to stay all day either. I would love to go back on another day and poke, but as a stay-at-home mom to two very young kids with a husband who is constantly traveling, it's just not going to be in the cards this year.

But next year I will remember the dual Associate option. That sounds great, and I can't wait to visit Chanticleer. My kids will love it!

See you at Fall Harvest!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths